Thread: Current Conditions of Kanarra Creek

Current Conditions of Kanarra Creek

Anyone know what the conditions are in Kanarra Creek? What about the trailhead parking issue? ALSO, anyone been in Water Canyon lately? Thanks for any info you can send my way.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I was there a month ago, so sorry this probably won't be much help. When I was there I think parking was $15. The water was really high, only the strongest in our group were able to continue all the way up. Water in the slot portion was waist deep and moving extremely quickly, and the noise made it hard to communicate with others in our group. The "ladder" that climbs to the top of the waterfall is still intact, but we turned around immediately after climbing it. The water at the base of both waterfalls looked like it could suck us under. The water level has probably gone down a tad but be careful, it could get messy if you were to slip

My son went with a youth group last week and confirmed what wasatchghost said. A parking fee has been added since last year. Water was very high, the waterfalls were pretty violent, wall-to-wall. Only two boys ascended the final ladder, in fast-moving cold water the whole time. Not a good time to bring younger or smaller folks.

Last Year I can't bring my dog anymore and this year they have a huge parking fee? Screw ya guys!
    Your safety is not my responsibility.

Just curious..... So how does the parking fee setup work? Who is there to collect the cash? And $15 sounds a little steep.... do I get my truck washed with that package?

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    Just curious..... So how does the parking fee setup work? Who is there to collect the cash? And $15 sounds a little steep.... do I get my truck washed with that package?
    They just say if they find your vehicle parked at the trailhead and you didn't put money into the box they'll give you a ticket. You probably could just park somewhere in town, right? Doesn't seem like they could ticket you for that...

I was there today, the fee is $10 to park, but you can park at the town hall for free. The water is moving fast, cold and deep, knee high in a few places. The parking fee is done by the town of Kanarraville, it's on city property so they can do whatever they want with it. I spoke with the town clerk and treasurer today, and they are still "seeing how the fee thing works out." I personally think $10 is a crock, but more people need to give em a call or stop in and complain about it.

Oh, and at Spring Creek south of Kanarra the water is nice and low, but there are a few biting flies out. it's a nice little hike.

Blog Entries
    $10 is quite a bit just for parking. What is this a Jazz game? Heh. Heck, a entrance pass to Goblin Valley is $10 and that includes flushing toilets, and a heated shower....at least Kannarville could do that much. Haha
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

Anyone know where to send our complaints? A little letter writing campaign from the good folks at Bogley might change things up.

Now that I will have to pay to park there does that mean I get to camp there too.....

Thanks for all the replies ya'll! I went on Monday and had such a great time! Yeah it sucked to have to pay $10 for parking but what are ya gonna do? Anyway, water was cold (but I got used to it). I didn't find the water too deep or moving too fast. The first ladder seemed to be in good shape, when we got to the second ladder, I was able to make it up but didn't see a safe way for my son to make it up (9 years old, very good scrambler!) The water running through the slot was just so BEAUTIFUL to me. This hike made for an excellent day!

PS. I hiked up Water Canyon yesterday (another wonderful day), but I lost one of my beloved hiking boots off the back of my backpack, it must have torn loose scrambling around and over boulders... If anyone happens on a Merrell grey, moab ventilator, pick it up! I'll pay for it to be shipped to me. Love those damn boots, broke in just right...

Water Canyon

Hey, where is Water Canyon?

Quote Originally Posted by jdawg View Post
    Hey, where is Water Canyon?
    Near hildale...not as much bang for your buck compared to kanarra but still pretty cool place.

I loved water canyon...I thought it was a lot of fun, but then again, I'm "easy" when it comes to SW Utah's beauty...just so glad to have been there! Um, if anyone finds my boot...

Check out Tanya's website for directions to trail head.... (Thanks Tanya for such wonderful BETA, you make my vacations AWESOME!!!!!)

Bogley BigShot
    Thanks Pirate Queen and Welcome to the Group! We have never wrote up the slot in there. It's one of the ones that Zion Adventure Company Guides or did. I love it though! Fun little canyon. Here is the hiking info. Its on the top 5 of my favorite hikes ever. You can start in Hildale in end near Rockville.

http://www.zionnational-park.com/zio...n-mountain.htm

http://www.zionnational-park.com/canaan-mountain

http://www.zionnational-park.com/water-canyon-arch.htm

A great TR here with pics of the new parking signs: http://www.bogley.com/forum/showthread.php?t=57185

Yeah would love to know who to complain too. The fact that they have another sign about parking a half mile up the trail is just ridiculous.

I always see dogs on the trail so I wouldn't worry about the sign restricting that. We brought our 2 dogs and probably saw 4 other groups with dogs along the way.

Went there 7/16/11
    A few more Pictures: http://trailtip.com/Member/DerekHolm...1/Gallery.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by derekholmes View Post
    I always see dogs on the trail so I wouldn't worry about the sign restricting that. We brought our 2 dogs and probably saw 4 other groups with dogs along the way.
    PLEASE!!! do not take your dogs.... this drainage is Kanarravilles drinking water. If the water quality drops below the health department standard the canyon will be closed to all visitors. The no dog rule is not because the town hates dogs, its to protect the water supply.

Next up....

We visited Kanarra Creek this past weekend, it had been about 8 years since my one and only visit before.

Anyhoo.... They have been making improvements to the entire area. They have established a real parking area with toilets, picnic tables and the trail has seen improvements. Normally I'm NOT of big fan of parking fees but its obvious the town of kanarraville is dumping some money into the parking area and trails so I felt my $10 went to a good cause.... YMMV. You can still park for fee at the Town Hall id $10 is really an issue.

And we saw no dogs on the trail, but at least 6 or 7 families enjoying the slot.