Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Canyon BOOTY

Quote Originally Posted by moab mark View Post
    There is a post on Bogley somewhere recently about the guy who went back to pick up his webbing at not Tierdrop after he had gone thru and it sounds like you have it?
    Went and found it.
    http://www.bogley.com/forum/showthre...nyon-on-6-3-11

Strap me into the fighting chair, I think I have a big one on the hook!

Name:  girl%20in%20chair&#.jpg
Views: 573
Size:  64.1 KB

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Not to deter from the conflict at hand, but I lost a petzl mini-traxion in Lost Park Canyon about six weeks ago. It is attached to a black prusik loop. Definitely the most expensive canyon booty I have ever lost. Unless it has been hit by a flood in the last month, I can assure that the pulley was in good working order when I lost it, if anybody feels like looking for it.

...now back to your regularly scheduled argument...

About 10 years ago I lost a Garmin eTrex GPS in the...... drum roll please..... .....Black Hole.

About a year later someone found it and mailed it back to me.... it had washed down canyon about a mile from where I lost it, but it still worked and I still use it..... pretty sweet.

Quote Originally Posted by tdoughty View Post
    And once, back in junior high, I came across a girl who had been accidentally left behind, and now she's been my wife for 28 years.
    The best kind of pickup in a canyon!

I've only found booty in a canyon twice: (Not counting extra webbing.)
    In (tiny no-rappel little-kid-friendly) Shelf Canyon in Zion I found a brand new figure 8. Why would someone TAKE a figure 8 into that place?
    At the base of the last but optional rap in Spry I found a couple of new harnesses, rap devices, carabiners, and webbing. Thanks to Bogley, I was able to find the owner.
    --
    Matthew

"If your knees aren't green by the end of the day, you ought to seriously reexamine your life."

Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mtthwlw View Post
    Why would someone TAKE a figure 8 into that place?
    because they were using it as a route to do spry

back on subject a few weeks ago with friends I scored an ibis hook in quandary

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Engelstead is always good for picking up 50-100 feet of webbing. That big rappel - practically everyone HAS to put on new pieces of webbing, or two, or three... I'm getting a little low, wish they would open Engelstead sometime soon.

Tom

Also found an Ibis hook in Englestead, ATC and Biner in the big pothole in spry. Spry is one of my favorite webbing canyons. I have also found an anchor in Pine Creek strapped with backpack webbing. Found about 80 feet of 11mm rope in Tierdrop 2 years ago.

I always wanted to take a metal detector into Pine Creek. I wonder how many belay devices you can find in the Cathedral.
    If you are wondering what my wife and I are doing in my Avatar... we are laughing at all you funny looking Bogleyites!

Quote Originally Posted by tdoughty View Post
    And once, back in junior high, I came across a girl who had been accidentally left behind, and now she's been my wife for 28 years.
    i can't believe how lucky you were. my mom never let me keep the strays i brought home.
    But if I agreed with you, we would both be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by trackrunner View Post
    back on subject a few weeks ago with friends I scored an ibis hook in quandary
    That hook may belong to Jaxx...

http://www.bogley.com/forum/showthre...ct-4-June-2011
    --Cliff

Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ilipichicuma View Post
    couldn't be. the name etched on it wasn't Jaxx. it was some guy named Nick tagged

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    couldn't be. the name etched on it wasn't Jaxx. it was some guy named Nick

tagged

Quote Originally Posted by denaliguide View Post
    i can't believe how lucky you were. my mom never let me keep the strays i brought home.

x2

Canyoncaver, I found your mini-traxion in Lost Park in May. Let me know how you'd prefer to get it back.

Awesome. I'll send you a PM. Thanks for responding!

On the canyon booty question I'll plead ignorance. How do you determine when webbing, or a nice redundant anchor station ought to be removed? The "no-bolt ethic" has me a bit puzzled. Is it really more aesthetically pleasing or less environmentally impacting to leave a pile of rocks (cairn) or dead man's anchor in the bottom of a pot hole (for example) rather than a tidy anchor-bolts-and-webbing station off to the side? Seems like you mess up the symmetry of the pot hole by doing so. Ok, like I said I'm pleading ignorance so I'm prepared for the onslaught that may ensue!

natural anchors are removable. A dead man anchor changes the canyon till the next flash flood, webbing around a rock can be removed. Bolts are permanent and will scar the rock for years and years. the idea is to change the canyon as little as possible.

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by arnellfam View Post
    On the canyon booty question I'll plead ignorance. How do you determine when webbing, or a nice redundant anchor station ought to be removed? The "no-bolt ethic" has me a bit puzzled. Is it really more aesthetically pleasing or less environmentally impacting to leave a pile of rocks (cairn) or dead man's anchor in the bottom of a pot hole (for example) rather than a tidy anchor-bolts-and-webbing station off to the side? Seems like you mess up the symmetry of the pot hole by doing so. Ok, like I said I'm pleading ignorance so I'm prepared for the onslaught that may ensue!
    If you be not-fishing, here is a starting point: http://canyoneeringusa.com/mag/issue1/bolts.htm

You might also try this: http://www.math.utah.edu/~sfolias/ca...onareflections

couldn't be. the name etched on it wasn't Jaxx. it was some guy named Nick tagged
    I couldn't tell if you were trolling me or not at first.

Name:  yo-dawg-at-first-.jpg
Views: 291
Size:  56.1 KB

Name:  Znh3d..jpg
Views: 312
Size:  70.9 KB
    The man thong is wrong.