Thread: Grand Gorge of Muddy Creek

Grand Gorge of Muddy Creek

Anyone been down lately? My wife wants to do Muddy Creek Gorge this weekend, but I worry that the water is too high. Sounds like people have been floating it. Thanks!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

yeah, go float it. no way you are hiking it from what i hear...

I have floated it twice in the the last 2 weeks , I wouldn't recommend hiking it until flow comes down its pretty fast and deep in spots ! Float it , its a blast !

did you float the gorge from Hidden Splendor or the Chute from Tomich Butte to Hidden Splendor?

The Grand Gorge of Muddy Creek is NOT the same as the Chutes of Muddy Creek. The Grand Gorge is the area below Hidden Splendor, The Chutes are the area above Hidden Splendor.... and with that understanding.........

Hiking the Grand Gorge of Muddy River in high water is never a problem. I've hiked up the Muddy River through the Grand Gorge many times during some of the biggest Chute kayaking weekends of the year.... high water and the Grand Gorge is just not a big issue.

This is what the river crossings in the Muddy River Gorge will look like in high water. There is a lot of water but it fans out over a wide area. You will end up crossing the river multiple times but none of the crossings are difficult.

Name:  mcgorge4..jpg
Views: 673
Size:  41.1 KB

Thanks Shane! GTK - we are taking kids and just wanted to make sure it is safe.

We did Knotted Rope right b4 Memorial Day and hiked back up Gorge of Muddy Creek to Hidden Splendor Airstrip. We crossed the Muddy 20 times. Mainly calf to knee high level but fairly strong current.

Anyone heading to the Muddy Creek Gorge might want to read this thread.

Kids at Hidden Splendor

Also, a hiking staff/trekking poles and commonsense help with high water.

Awesome stuff. Thanks!

Shane, love the email from the lady who lived there...thanks for repositng that. how safe would it be to float the chute at present water flow? would you just bounce off the walls and turn it into a death trap or would it be fairly tame?

I'm not the best person to ask as I've never floated The Chute, only hiked it in low flow.

I have been told that when it starts to get really high water you want a kayak so you have more ability to manuver than you get with a tube.

This is what my last hike through the Chute looked like.

FYI - Gorge of Muddy Creek is waist high (6' tall) as of Saturday and very swift. Lots of bugs as well.

What time of year is best to kayak The Chutes of Muddy Creek? Definitely want to avoid the bugs but have enough water for some fun...