Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Adidas Canyoneering Shoe

I hike 90% of my canyons in Savants and they are going strong. I think I can get 20 - 30 canyons out of then at a min. Right now. I've done about 15 on them and they are great.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by moab mark View Post
    Seems using a zipper doesn't give much room for adjustment?

Quite possible there is some type of lacing/strap system under that zipper. If they are using the Fivetens as a measuring stick they would be crazy to overlook the need for a tight fit.

Quote Originally Posted by spinesnaper View Post
    Canyonguru

You might want to consider reinforcing the area that I've circled. Love my Savants but they tend to blow out early for me in this area.

Ken
    Do these Savants have the same sizing issues as the Canyoneers? I'd be interested in getting a pair for my wife. She hates her Canyoneers. She doesn't like them for the approach, says they hurt her ankles. She will often bring a second pair of shoes for the approach and Id rather she started taking one pair of shoes into a canyon.

Mine fit my foot a lot narrower than the canyoneers. I love that since I'm rarely wearing neo socks. So they definitely fit more like a normal hiking shoe.

Quote Originally Posted by mtthwlw View Post
    Do these Savants have the same sizing issues as the Canyoneers? I'd be interested in getting a pair for my wife. She hates her Canyoneers. She doesn't like them for the approach, says they hurt her ankles. She will often bring a second pair of shoes for the approach and Id rather she started taking one pair of shoes into a canyon.
    i have the same problem with the canyoneers. i thought the newer ones resolved the problem, but i now have two pairs that both hurt my ankles now... the savants are awesome compared. but they just seem to fall apart way too fast.

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CarpeyBiggs View Post
    i have the same problem with the canyoneers. i thought the newer ones resolved the problem, but i now have two pairs that both hurt my ankles now... the savants are awesome compared. but they just seem to fall apart way too fast.
    Biting into the Achilles? five.ten had a run in my size that did that, but they don't now. If you get that, return them to five.ten, get a new pair. They are defective.

If it is another problem, well, not so clear.

T

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jpratt11 View Post
    I hike 90% of my canyons in Savants and they are going strong. I think I can get 20 - 30 canyons out of then at a min. Right now. I've done about 15 on them and they are great.
    Huh, I got about 80 canyon days out of my last pair of canyoneers. about 20 were guide days, which are easy on the feet, but the rest were "real".

Tom

Yeah thanks that is the same spot my shoes always wear out on the outside foot. I did two coats so far and will probably add a lot more to that area, thanks for the tip. The Savants fit me quite well and i will normaly be a 12.5 or 13 in a shoe depending on what type of shoe it is. I got the 13 so i can run my NEO socks during canyons but even with out the NEO socks on they still fit quite well. Do people run the SAR Canyoneer shoe at all or was that just a special shoe. wondering if that one would fit better for people being slightly different design.
    IT ALWAYS LOOKS HIGHER FROM THE TOP!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia View Post
    Biting into the Achilles? five.ten had a run in my size that did that, but they don't now. If you get that, return them to five.ten, get a new pair. They are defective.

If it is another problem, well, not so clear.

T
    it's where the yellow mesh meets the neoprene, on the outside of the shoe. it makes a fold that compresses against the ankle bone, and hurts like hell on long approaches....

5.10 is very easy to work with. I was just at the Outdoor Retailer Tradeshow as a photographer and they are one of the nicer booths to work with. They were gonna get me another free pair, but I requested the Camp Fours. I might try them on in a few canyons. I got my Canyoneer shoe a size too large so I could wear an extra pair of socks and they still ran a little big. I put in a lot softer and thicker of a sole and it actually helped. I've never had the ankle problem though. I am assuming that the Adidas Canyon shoe wont compare, like most, but obviously it's all personal opinion and the comfort and durability of the shoe, which 5.10 has done for myself. But they do kinda suck for the approach.
    "...when you are a man, sometimes you wear stretchy pants in your room, It's for fun."
    Nacho

I've broken to many zippers in canyons and got too much sand in zippers, making them nearly impossible to zip, to ever want to buy a canyon shoe with zippers.
    "...when you are a man, sometimes you wear stretchy pants in your room, It's for fun."
    Nacho

I will probably buy a pair when they come out. I'm turning into a gear junkie I swear.

The thing that appeals to me about the addidas is the higher ankle support. That is seriously my worst fear in a canyon (twisting an ankle), and I always feel my canyoneers don't give me that support I want. And the low ankles seems to let a lot more sand and debris in the top. To be honest, I've been using these shoes more and more often. They have sticky Vibram soles for traction, high abrasion overlays for the toes, and they are super comfortable to actually hike in. Superior to Canyoneers in almost every way. The only problem is they don't drain well, but all the water eventually gets out.

http://www.pacificnorthwestoutfitter...w.shopping.com
    Name:  COL TIT Daska Pass&#.jpg
Views: 1839
Size:  210.6 KB
    Your safety is not my responsibility.

I will be getting a pair of the Adidas in the next couple of day's. They are sending me a pair to test and report back to them on how well they worked on the CP. I will give a report as soon as I have one.

I was just out at Outdoor Retailer and got a chance to see these things. They had a couple of things I liked and one feature that I did not like. The show uses a lacing system that is similar to the quick lace system on Salomon trail running shoes. This great improved the fit over the buckle system of the 5.10. The overall fit was better at least for me. The zipper is just a cover for the laces and helps to open up the upper part of the shoe. Similar to the velcro on the 5.10. The velcro strap at the top of the shoe gave the shoe a lot more ankle support. These shoes seem a lot better for longer approaches. The 5.10's in my opinion suck for long approaches but are killer once in canyon. The biggest disappointment was there seemed to be no way for water to drain. The materials in the shoe all seem waterproof. The upper chuff is all neoprene. The materials in the 5.10 do drain. I am definitely going to pick up a pair come early spring 2012. That was what I was told when they will be shipping.

Quote Originally Posted by supercj View Post
    I've broken to many zippers in canyons and got too much sand in zippers, making them nearly impossible to zip, to ever want to buy a canyon shoe with zippers.
    I've broken the buckles off 5.10's more than once....

just sayin'.....

The biggest disappointment was there seemed to be no way for water to drain
    If you are in deep water, draining is irrelevant; if shallow, there is no time between steps for much water to drain. question: when (if ever) is a fast-draining shoe important? and, does one exist?

I think most canyons have a period of wetness where you get your shoes wet, then a period where you walk on dry land, then a period where you walk in the water, then dry land. So drainage is important for the transition period.
    Your safety is not my responsibility.

Quote Originally Posted by hank moon View Post
    If you are in deep water, draining is irrelevant; if shallow, there is no time between steps for much water to drain. question: when (if ever) is a fast-draining shoe important? and, does one exist?
    I think the exum ridge is pretty fast draining but it gets beaten up pretty good in scrapey slots (and so not the best rough slot shoe)

I really appreciate the ridge's fast draining and fast drying when I'm backpacking and wading (not continuously) through water. it's one of the great pluses with the shoe ... not to mention the fact that it feels similar when wet as it does dry (to me at least)

So any news on the Adidas canyoneering shoes?

They will available 4/10. I just tried to order the, directly from Addias and they emailed me back saying they will be available then.