Thread: Zion camping

Zion camping

Hi,

I am looking for an up to date info on free camping near Zion NP. I did my homework and searched the forum and found 3 sites:

1. Smith Mesa, about 8 miles from hwy on Kolob R. R. or similar locations

2. Guacamole trailhead

3. Coalpits Wash trailhead

So far driving up Kolob reservoir road looks most reasonable. Is this info still current? I would normally not mind just checking out the sites myself, but we are going to be coming really late and in the dark so, specific directions and info would be much appreciated.

My e-mail is anton-at-solovyev-dot-com (the board software would not let me post address) if you'd rather send a personal e-mail. Thank you in advance!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

i would look into mesquito cove for a good spot. I havent been there for a couple of years and i know it got flooded out this spring. I last heard that there were people camping down there but the gate was closed. I am coming up in july and might need a spot also. If anyone know if the gate is open that would help out.
    IT ALWAYS LOOKS HIGHER FROM THE TOP!!!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by canyonguru View Post
    i would look into mesquito cove for a good spot. I havent been there for a couple of years and i know it got flooded out this spring. I last heard that there were people camping down there but the gate was closed. I am coming up in july and might need a spot also. If anyone know if the gate is open that would help out.
    I can confirm last weekend, that it IS still closed.

Quote Originally Posted by anton_solvyev
    3. Coalpits Wash trailhead
    This is a good spot when it's not busy. BUSY=weekend.

There is another free spot near Grafton (a few miles to the east of Mosquito Cove), which is a ghost town. To reach Grafton, you make a right-hand turn in Rockville (at the small sign) and park near the abandoned town. I've rarely seen other people there and has numerous spots to set up camp. Good luck!
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jman View Post
    I can confirm last weekend, that it IS still closed.

This is a good spot when it's not busy. BUSY=weekend.

There is another free spot near Grafton (a few miles to the east of Mosquito Cove), which is a ghost town. To reach Grafton, you make a right-hand turn in Rockville (at the small sign) and park near the abandoned town. I've rarely seen other people there and has numerous spots to set up camp. Good luck!
    The turn is to the right when coming from Virgin, and to the left when coming from Springdale, onto Bridge Street. Bridge street is near the Springdale side of the main part of town. Go over the bridge, then turn right soon after. Go past all the houses, over a hill to an intersection. Grafton is straight ahead (I am not sure there is camping that way) and to the left is Cry Baby Hill and the Smithsonian Butte Road. There are free camping spots left and right on the road, but the dirt road is rather rough. Spots close to town are usually occupied.

Tom

I've been to lots of "free" BLM camp areas, and they vary quite a bit, and I've usually taken advantage of them as one night stands.
    Oops, did I say that out loud?
    Sorry, let me get back on track...
    Can you set a tent up at the "Grafton" site for a week and expect it to remain unmolested?
    Darn, there I go again......

Quote Originally Posted by tdoughty View Post
    I've been to lots of "free" BLM camp areas, and they vary quite a bit, and I've usually taken advantage of them as one night stands.
    Can you set a tent up at the "Grafton" site for a week and expect it to remain unmolested?
    Leaving stuff at a BLM dispersed camping site is an invitation to molestation...

take that any way you will.

T

Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia View Post
    Leaving stuff at a BLM dispersed camping site is an invitation to molestation...

take that any way you will.

T
    Depends on the remoteness, I would think. We left our camp set up near the Slickhorn #1 trailhead in Cedar Mesa. But no one would drive there that wasn't doing that hike. So you've limited your pool of molesters to hikers of that one TH, and it's not a particularly popular one at that.
    It is good that warriors such as we meet in the struggle of life... or death. It shall be life. - Ten Bears, "The Outlaw Josie Wales"

Quote Originally Posted by tdoughty View Post
    In the past I've left stuff at Mosquito Cove for days and haven't had any problems at all with molestation. But, we could have just gotten lucky.
    --Cliff

What about the sites at the Subway trailhead? What kind of a chance do you think I'd have of snagging a spot, say....next Thursday? And molestation probabilities if I set up early in the day & leave?

Quote Originally Posted by Krrristi View Post
    What about the sites at the Subway trailhead? What kind of a chance do you think I'd have of snagging a spot, say....next Thursday? And molestation probabilities if I set up early in the day & leave?
    Do you mean at Lava Point? There are no sites at either Subway trailhead, and both are inside the Park, and patrolled.

You can camp on nearby BLM land, but I have not yet found a "good site".

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia View Post
    Do you mean at Lava Point? There are no sites at either Subway trailhead, and both are inside the Park, and patrolled.

You can camp on nearby BLM land, but I have not yet found a "good site".

Tom
    I would call some of the Smith Mesa sites "good sites", and they are very near the Subway TH. In fact, this is where I usually camp when in Zion. We usually take the first one on the left when you just exit the park at the top of the grade.

Nat

Aren't there some backpacking sites out there along the Wildcat or at the beginning of the Northgate Peaks trail? Perhaps that is what Krrristi was inquiring about?

Quote Originally Posted by erial View Post
    Aren't there some backpacking sites out there along the Wildcat or at the beginning of the Northgate Peaks trail? Perhaps that is what Krrristi was inquiring about?
    I'm not sure what I'm inquiring about, really :\ I'm going on word of mouth, that an official Zion camping area with 6 first come first serve spots exists near-ish to the Subway trailhead. Maybe Lava Point? In any case, you guys have given us plenty of back-up options if we don't snag a spot :)

Ya that sounds like Lava point. I looked into that when we were planning our last trip. Looked like decent camping but it is about 45 minutes to Springdale.
    The man thong is wrong.