Thread: Columbia Drainmaker Shoes / Mystery Questions

Columbia Drainmaker Shoes / Mystery Questions

I was looking into a New pair of shoes and found these from Columbia. They look quit comfortalbe and they are designed to get wet. Wanted to see what you all think.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRjguYPsCx8

I am also doing Mystery on the 20th of july and hand a couple of questions. i haven't done that canyon since i was 16 11 years ago. What are the exact length of the last two drops. I have been getting different opinions. Secondly what length of ropes would you guys and gals bring with you on this canyon.

I have heard mystery springs is 110ft and the waterfall is 120ft. that would tell me two 120ft ropes would be perfect for the whole day. Thanks for the help
    IT ALWAYS LOOKS HIGHER FROM THE TOP!!!!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    The last two raps are between 110' and 120'.

Do you have the book? Consult the book. Find an error in the book, I will give you something. The book is good.

Those look like great shoes for trailrunning in the Pacific Northwest. If you wear them canyoneering, your feet will get chewed up.

T

"The entire canyon can be completed with two 120-foot ropes"

Which is a direct quote from the one true source of all things beta.
    http://climb-utah.com/Zion/mystery.htm

Heck, that quote and route description is even in the freebie section.

I measured the longest of the two rappels at 115', the other was 113'. The only down side is I can't remember which of the two rappels in question was the 115', but with 2' difference it doesn't really matter.

PS: Was Columbia intentionally trying to make a shoe uglier then the Canyoneer? Nothing like walking around with a couple pumpkins on your feet.

yeah i looked at another video and when the guy was playing with the shoe it looked really light weight. I have consulted the book and the book is very good. I had a friend of mine say that he thought they were longer but its been a couple of years since he went.

I was down at Desert Rock Sports here in vegas, (a Imlay Gear Store) and picked up a pair of 5'10 Savants. The store owner told me that they are great shoes for canyons and will also be a great hiking and aproach shoe. They also have the same sole as the Canyoneer so i figured i can't lose. I saw a really sweet Kolob pack in their new colors and was really temped. Sorry Tom i am feeling a little broke after paying 100 bucks for my shoes but man you really make a good looking Pack.

P.S. The store owner told me that the 5'10's are going up in price to around 110 for the pair so if any of you are in the market i would go get them.

yeah, you'd think you'd win by using the savants. many of us also believed that this year, only to see the shoe implode after 3 weeks of use... make sure you pre-emptively aquaseal the hell out of those things. i think we had 6 pairs of them on the grand canyon trip for 30 days, and only one pair survived. bo (at desert rat in st. george) ended up returning the savants to 5.10 because they apparently were defective. besides seams blowing on the outside of the toebox, the heel cup was unstitching and the foam ripping apart. and the grand canyon isn't THAT rough on shoes, like the skinnies are in north wash.

you'll love the savants while they last. and then wonder what happened when they disintegrate...

The store guy told me to use this seam glue that is used to repair tent and backpack rips. He said put it on while they are brand new and you shouldn't have a problem. I don't really do many canyons i only have 3 so far this year to do. I do a lot of hiking though so i hope that they work out. If not i might take them back as well. I really loved my exum rivers but they don't make them any more. They were a great aproach shoe and did great in the canyons. My only gripe is that the rubber didn't last very long. Thanks for the heads up.