Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tuesday Group Ride (06.21.11) - The Flying Dog Trail

Tuesday Group Ride (06.21.11) - The Flying Dog Trail

This is the longest day of the year so why not have a long ride to go with it. I will be at the trail head at 5:30, if no one chimes in they are joining me I may start early. If you are planning on enjoying this ride let me know.

Map to the trail head:

I will be doing one of the larger loops, the "big dog loop" looks like the one.
    So, Kid, you think you got what it takes to be a Punch King?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

i am in, are you doing the entire 17 mile loop starting at stealth? My brother in law is in town and we are planning on riding up there, I will update our status in the days coming.

Two wheels are better than four, keep the rubber side down.

This sounds like the best idea of the year so far!!! I just uploaded my last ride to my garmin in prep for the ride!

Yep, the full 17 mile loop. I have heard the trail is in good enough condition so that shouldn't hold anyone back.

Your trailhead marker is off. It should be on Glenwild Drive to the west. Regardless, this is an awesome ride. We did the 17 mile loop on Saturday. Having done it both directions, I like counterclockwise best. There are a couple of short, muddy spots on the west side of upper Flying Dog that we dismounted for, but otherwise the trail is primo. I'll do my best to be there.
    Are we there yet?

count my brother and law and me in, just confirmed with him and we have plans in route to make it from Layton.

Tallsteve is right, my trail head marker is off by one street. Sorry.

Nice to see some interest, should be a great ride. I am open to doing the loop in either direction, I have only done it clockwise.

There are a few reasons why I like counterclockwise best, the biggest being I'd rather go down the very rocky bottom half of the western section of Glenwild/Stealth vs climbing it. It's also nearly all downhill back to the car from the top of Flying Dog in the counterclockwise direction vs. a couple of miles of long sustained, but gentle, uphill climbs on the eastern side of the bottom section of Glenwild. Going down Flying Dog, from the top through the thick trees, counterclockwise is also a hoot. Hope that makes sense, but I'll do either way.
    Are we there yet?

I am open for either way, clockwise you get that wicked short litt climb about 14 miles in by the mega mansions...wither way we choose I will be there with some water and ready to roll, I was planning on riding there before your post so this was perfect. As long as tall steve takes it easy on us!!

I am hoping to be there tomorrow night.....I know this is a loaded question, but how long does this ride usually take for a mixed group such as will show up tomorrow night?

Well it will obviously depend on how fast you are but, if we start at 5:30ish I am pretty sure we will be back to the cars by 8:30. I have done the trail in about 2 hours before(clockwise version) but that was late in the season and I was in good shape.

Clockwise last time I rode with a break to change a flat tire I was also in under 2 hours. Very easy trail to kick up the pace if you want since it flows so nice and is a pretty buff singletrack. I gotta drive back home to Layton after so I am shooting for no longer than 2 hours if possible. Bike is here at work and ready to roll.

I plan on being there. After riding it Saturday I can't wait to go back!
    Are we there yet?

I will see you guys there. This should be a fun ride. Sounds like it will be a fast group. We can just let Tallsteve set the pace and we will be done super fast.

I will be in a silver full size chev with a couple bikes in the back

I'm in. I will likely be the anchor holding everybody back......

I will be in a silver Ford Explorer

Quote Originally Posted by PunchKing View Post
    I will see you guys there. This should be a fun ride. Sounds like it will be a fast group. We can just let Tallsteve set the pace and we will be done super fast.
    Right. I'm 50+ and am coming off knee surgery. Compared to this time last year, I'm a snail.
    Burgundy Jeep Liberty.
    Are we there yet?

I am going to be the anchor...ERRRR...Riding Sweep LOL, whatever you want to call it, I just want to get out and enjoy the trails. There is a big EXpo going on at deervalley today with all the press releases. Been tweeting back and forth with Hans Rey today so I may try to go up early and get a couple of pics with the legends, I tried to invite him to come ride with us but he said he was already riding..LOL Figured what the heck, it doesn't hurt to try.

Thanks for the ride tonight. Sorry to bail on you guys halfway through, but duty called. I stopped for a bit on that one backside climb, but needed to take off. Hopefully everything went smoothly......

Great riding with you Neil and everyone else. It took us a while to get down because Enoch had a spectacular crash right in front of me. Not sure how it happened and it wasn't in a spot that you'd think a crash would occur (that's the way it usually happens to me, too!). He landed hard on his head and shoulder, cracked his helmet, scraped up his left side pretty good, was dizzy, seeing spots and may have broken his collarbone. We rode slowly afterward to make sure he got down OK. Other than that, awesome ride!
    Are we there yet?