Thread: La Verkin Creek Trail- Kolob Arch- Zion National Park- September 2006

La Verkin Creek Trail- Kolob Arch- Zion National Park- September 2006

This is one of my favorite trips for it is one of the first times out with my wife, we had only been dating for a bit when we went on this adventure.

We arrived at Toquerville around 8 pm and set up shop in my friend Mikes backyard. He was in the GC at the time, so he said just throw up shop in his yard. We just needed to get some z's because we needed to pick up our permit and check in for our reserved backcountry site in Kolob. We had a very warm night, pretty much sleeping on top of my bag and not even needing cover for how warm it was. We woke, hopped in the car, and ate our breakfast on the way to Lee's Pass. We put on the packs, and headed in. This hike is pretty forgiving on the way in. We made good time. It was awesome in there! We started a small climb that took us to a rim, then dropped to La Verkin Creek. Lots of little pools to swim in here. We pushed on because we had site #14 for two nights, and we wanted to get shop pitched and relax a little. We hiked for a bit, then arrived. It was a shady spot, nice to escape the heat, and out tent would have shade. We pulled out the booze we packed in and had ourselves a drink. Wine and some flavored thing my wife brought with her. We had some fun goofing around and then made dinner. It was a nice night. Since this was a national park, and there is no fires allowed, we packed in tea lights and put them on our cooking rocks we cooked on. The next day we got up, ate, then put on the day packs and headed for Kolob Arch. I will never forget our adventure on the way there, just enjoying everything and having fun! Which is what being out there is all about. After a while we entered the wash that takes you up to where you can see Kolob Arch. It is pretty huge, but also pretty far away. No matter, fun was the name of the game. We then suddenly had an afternoon thunderstorm, and we sought out cover under a tree out there. It was just pouring. Then it broke and we had a nice evening hike back to camp. We did hit the spring that is near site #8 and got our water for the evening. A nice dinner and we both crashed. We awoke to zero wind and crystal clear skies. We had a long way to head out, including 850 ft climb up Lee's Pass to get back to the car. I was a bit worried that this was gonna be a bummer for my wife, but she was a trooper, one of the reasons I picked her. We got to the car, and she said "lets go somewhere else next weekend!" A great trip, with my best friend that I will never forget!
    Last edited by Dr. Nebz; 12-23-2011 at 04:05 PM. Reason: Leaving

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nice! And timely too! I'm heading there in the morning. So how is that spring near site 8? Think I actually need to bring my filter? Just doing one night solo.

#1-Awesome Tye Dye (not sure how to spell that)
    #2- How were the bugs? Ive noticed the cedar gnats have been bad on the plateaus and, what I call deer fly's, have been bad near water down here in SW Utah.

Nick be sure to visit Beartrap Canyon Falls!!!

Name:  bear..jpg
Views: 3061
Size:  67.8 KB

Very cool TR. Looks like you guys had a blast. The hanging off the tree drinking pic is hilarious.
    Your safety is not my responsibility.

Quote Originally Posted by ibenick View Post
    Nice! And timely too! I'm heading there in the morning. So how is that spring near site 8? Think I actually need to bring my filter? Just doing one night solo.
    If that spring is running, it was really good water. We filtered our water in there from that spot. Everything else since it was so late in the season did not look so great. Have fun, it is an awesome place!