Thread: Red Pine Lake- Little Cottonwood Canyon- August 2009

Red Pine Lake- Little Cottonwood Canyon- August 2009

Me and my friend Mike decided that since we were not in the Uintas that we wanted that same backcountry fishing experience but right here in the Wasatch. Red Pine was a place I had been several times before, but never to fish. We started at the White Pine trail head and rallied up to the stream where White Pine and Red Pine split directions. We caught a quick breather and continued up. We had a great hike in the Aspens on the way up, getting some up canyon views which were sweet. We round the corner to proceed to the steep climb and out of the trees walks a huge Bull Moose. Not looking to happy that we are there either. We back up and rise in the trees. We watch him for a while, and eventually he wanders off. We pushed on, and finally arrived to the Maybird Junction. we stopped here in the shade, and then moved on. The final part of the trail to Red Pine climbs and climbs and climbs. What seems like forever, we finally show up at Lower Red Pine Lake. Such a beautiful carved basin with its colors, it is very unique. Mike hits the inlet and blam- nails a fish 3rd cast. It was on! We fished Lower Red Pine for a while, and decided to head up to Upper Red Pine Lake. This is a pretty hefty jaunt up into the Upper Cirque. You have to cross a boulder field with boulders the size of cars littered everywhere. Not the smoothest sailing if you know what mean. We arrive at Upper Red Pine Lake and we start fishing. Caught small ones up there, bigger fish were in the lower lake for sure. We hung out, took some pics and headed back down to the lower res. The hike out was a time trial of me and Mike pushing to get to the trail head out of sheer hunger. Made it down by dusk, which made this trip an all day adventure. This is for sure the gem of Little Cottonwood Canyon.
    Last edited by Dr. Nebz; 12-23-2011 at 04:10 PM. Reason: Leaving

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

damn you. i thought this was from this week. hahaha.

cool tr nonetheless.

Quote Originally Posted by CarpeyBiggs View Post
    damn you. i thought this was from this week. hahaha.

cool tr nonetheless.
    I so wish it was from this week. Would love to be up there, probably going to be a while.

This week!