Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Red Spur - Robbers Roost (HD Video)

Red Spur - Robbers Roost (HD Video)

I'm thinking video might become my preferred method of doing trip reports. Here is the video of Marc Olivares and my recent trip through a slot we are calling Red Spur. Why Red Spur? because much of the rock has a really deep red color and because the June heat beat us like a red-headed step child on the hike out.

This is really a beautiful canyon that photographers are going to love. The slot is suitable for intermediate canyoneers and above. Novice canyoneers will be in over their heads as the slot has some semi-keeper potholes to escape, some tricky rope work is required, and some short sections of mandatory PG rated stemming.

To the best of my knowledge this slot has only been dscended by two groups, but I'm sure there have been a few others. The slot was "discovered" in pristine condition with no sign of previous visitors, lets try and keep it that way. This slot had been on my radar for 4 or 5 years and I just never got around to exploring it, and then last month a friend asked if I had any projects he could work on and I turned him loose on this slot, which turned out to be a real treasure. With a little luck we'll have a few more new slots heading your way in the near future.

Anyhoo.... Enjoy the show.... and let me know if you prefer video or pictures?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nice, where-how are you attaching your GOPRO without a helmet?

Mark

I have been using the GoPro headstrap,which doesn't work with my current helmet because of the over the top loop. And mounting the GoPro with the sticky attachments and extensions doesn't work because it gives the GoPro to much of a moment arm and it really moves the helmet around on your head which sucks....

....But I think I have a new system worked out. I'm going to purchase a second head strap, cut the over the top loop off and attach the GoPro using the headlamp attachments on my helmet. That way the GoPro will fit tight against the helmet, loose the moment arm that causes movement, and will not look so dorky in the the pictures. It will basically look and act like you are just wearing a headlamp attached to your helmet.

When I get a system dialed in that works I'll post the info. If anyone else has a good helmet system worked out I'd like to hear about it.

Nice, looks like fun.

Uh OH! Hope the helmet police don't see this!

I'll vote for the videos over the photos. I've seen some videos that distort angle and jerk & jump around a lot and are distracting, but you've done a good job here. Often the person wearing tha camera is not thinking about where it is aimed. The videos give a much petter perspective of the obstacles and how you overcame them. Hope you find a good way to attach to your helmet so you get the same quality results. Thanks for sharing the results.

Nice video! A great teaser for the new slot.

video is awesome, better then the photos.
    Candition.com | Canyon Conditions

<%@me = User.find_by_adventurer(params[:theking648])%>

video is always cool, as long as you don't jack it up by putting in the still photos randomly of your ugly mug...

seriously though, looks pretty good. where's the footage of your wonder-hook-and-retrieve method?

Sweet video! I'll be looking forward to the beta on this one, looks awesome!
    --Cliff

Mod hat ON

I move the discussion on hooks into the retrievable anchors thread so it would all be in one place.

Mod hat OFF

The canyon beta is now posted.

Red Spur - Robbers Roost

Personally I think this is one of the better canyons in the Roost. It's probably second only to High Spur in beauty and about equal to Alcatraz (but longer) in the spicy department.... or maybe I just feel that way because its brand spanking new and still has that new car smell.... who knows...

Enjoy the canyon, please don't bolt it. Try to use a little commonsense to avoid rope grooves. New canyon such as this are becoming a little rare so please take care of it. Thanks for your help!

Great job Shane!!!

The helmet cam served you well. Will definitely put this one on my to do list, than I will do it!!
    Londog

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    The canyon beta is now posted.

Red Spur - Robbers Roost

Personally I think this is one of the better canyons in the Roost. It's probably second only to High Spur in beauty and about equal to Alcatraz (but longer) in the spicy department.... or maybe I just feel that way because its brand spanking new and still has that new car smell.... who knows...

Enjoy the canyon, please don't bolt it. Try to use a little commonsense to avoid rope grooves. New canyon such as this are becoming a little rare so please take care of it. Thanks for your help!

When you click on the map it kicks you out and wants you to log back in?

Fixed! Thanks for the heads up.

I like the video version. It's easier to get a feel for the canyon through video I think. I need to employ my helmet cam on the next one I do.

The video with wide angle lens does a much better job than pictures at capturing the grandeur of the canyons. I know video editing can be time consuming. Thanks for taking the time to put it together and post. And - beautiful canyon!

Just curious.... any of you done Red Spur?

I don't know of anyone that has done it since Marc and myself. I would be interested in a little feedback and what you thought of the route.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    Just curious.... any of you done Red Spur?

I don't know of anyone that has done it since Marc and myself. I would be interested in a little feedback and what you thought of the route.

Thanks.
    Not an hour ago my friend and I began planning our Spring trip and have Red Spur as the first slot to do. I've spent part of my day reading up on it and watching the video again. I'm going down Friday night and will be doing Big Spring East & West and Northwest on Saturday. Tempted to go do Red Spur....but not confident in my hook rappelling yet.

I forgot all about this new one when we were out there last month. Will plan to check it out soon. Possibly a great place for Sand Trap and the new water inserts we have been testing this season.
    "I approach nature with a certain surly ill-will, daring Her to make trouble"

-Edward Abbey

Lots of ways to skin a cat.... Sandtrap with a water insert would probably work in all conditions.

The problem is the hook rappel is between potholes and mae west sections where little sand is avaiable. If the potholes are full there is plenty of water to work with, and if the potholes are empty plenty of sand (actually It was more mud than sand) to work with.