Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lake Blanche Trail

Lake Blanche Trail

Any word on what the condition of this trail is? I keep thinking it might be pretty well melted out but can also see where it still has a lot of snow.
    RP

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I bet there is a ton of snow and mud. But...

You are going to run into snow above 8,000 up there. Still really deep too. Snowshoes or Skins needed.

Went part way up the trail last night for a full moon hike. Right at 8,000 feet, snow started lingering in the trail. Very little mud before that, only where a "river braid" was inching onto the trail. Hard to hear yourself think over the sound of the raging water. Pretty impressive. In the hour to 1.5 hr from the bridge to 8,000 feet and back, it was noticeable how much the river had come up on the bridge. Water was shooting off waterfalls. Certainly wouldn't want to get too close! Need to get back up there in daylight...maybe this evening...to get a better view.

Thanks for the reports. This trail is lower then the others that I usually hike in the Cottonwoods so usually opens earlier even with the north exposure. I'm looking forward to hiking it but it sounds as though it is still several weeks away.
    RP

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Nebz View Post
    You are going to run into snow above 8,000 up there. Still really deep too. Snowshoes or Skins needed.
    And what elevation is the lake at? I've been wanting to hike this trail for months now! I'm tired of the damn snow. Haha.

Quote Originally Posted by jbdavies View Post
    And what elevation is the lake at? I've been wanting to hike this trail for months now! I'm tired of the damn snow. Haha.
    Lake Blanch stats:

[FONT=Arial][SIZE=2]Big Cottonwood Canyon- Trail Head- Lower S-Turn 4.5 miles up canyon
    Distance to Lake Blanch- 2

[QUOTE=Dr. Nebz;459574]Lake Blanch stats:

[FONT=Arial][SIZE=2]Big Cottonwood Canyon- Trail Head- Lower S-Turn 4.5 miles up canyon
    Distance to Lake Blanch- 2

trail conditions

The trail was clear until the last quarter mile or so when I hiked it today. From that point on the snow is interspersed, but it is pretty easy to get to the lakes.

Quote Originally Posted by AChrysler View Post
    The trail was clear until the last quarter mile or so when I hiked it today. From that point on the snow is interspersed, but it is pretty easy to get to the lakes.
    Yes!! I have all next week off. Might make a trip up there. :) Thanks for the report!!

Quote Originally Posted by AChrysler View Post
    Are the lakes themselves clear of ice?

Thanks for the report. Hopefully I'll head up in the next week, probably not over the busy weekend though.

Sorry I didn't see this until now, but yes, the lakes are basically 95% clear of ice. Probably 100% by now.

Anyone know if there are typically any wildflowers around the lake, and if so does anyone know what time frame? Does Sundial typically retain some snow for a while, or does it melt off about the same time as the lake?

Quote Originally Posted by akavalun View Post
    Anyone know if there are typically any wildflowers around the lake, and if so does anyone know what time frame? Does Sundial typically retain some snow for a while, or does it melt off about the same time as the lake?
    Wildflowers usually in the meadows as you hike up the trail. There will be some up at the lake, but the biggest collections I have seen are on the way up. Here is a pic I took up there year before last just before you get to the lake.

Name:  260287_101502480319&.jpg
Views: 2584
Size:  145.2 KB

The Sundial will melt off about the same rate because of the all the darker rock up there. I have seen patches before, but if the trail is ready, usually means that most of that snow is gone on the peak as well. I was riding Snowbird today, and from Hidden Peak I could see the whole North Ridge of Big Cottonwood/Millcreek Canyons is pretty much snow free, and the North Wall of the Albion Basin is holding some patches, and is melting off rapidly. Since Mill B South is north facing, I would imagine with how fast this snow is going up there that it should be pretty much snow free. Stoked! We want to do an over nighter up there for pics and Brookies.

the next little basin to the east of lake blanch can hold some nice wildflowers too...

I'm thinking I'm gonna hike up there today. So... we shall see how it goes. Haha.

guys on flickr posted photos from lake blanche yesterday. looks snow free and beautiful. look forward to seeing what you get. clouds look awesome this afternoon!

Quote Originally Posted by CarpeyBiggs View Post
    the next little basin to the east of lake blanch can hold some nice wildflowers too...
    You are referring to Mineral Fork. Yes, sick place to go, and some of the biggest spreads of fireweed I have ever seen in the Wasatch. I have had some great days on walkabout up there.