Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lake Blanche Trail

Quote Originally Posted by CarpeyBiggs View Post
    guys on flickr posted photos from lake blanche yesterday. looks snow free and beautiful. look forward to seeing what you get. clouds look awesome this afternoon!
    Well ****. Talk about a completely horrible trip. I got totally soaked from head to toe from rain. Thunder and lightning wasn't very fun being up at the top of the mountain. I don't think I got any good shots... specially since it started raining so I had to quickly put everything away. Annnnd, my bad knee started acting up. Yippie. Haha. I hate Lake Blanche.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by jbdavies View Post
    Well ****. Talk about a completely horrible trip. I got totally soaked from head to toe from rain. Thunder and lightning wasn't very fun being up at the top of the mountain. I don't think I got any good shots... specially since it started raining so I had to quickly put everything away. Annnnd, my bad knee started acting up. Yippie. Haha. I hate Lake Blanche.
    You were in that storm that is killing the Cottonwoods? Wow, thats gnarly! It looked pretty active here in Cottonwood Heights. Few strikes down here as well.

Minus the raging storm, how was the trail? Melted off, lake unfrozen? We want to do an over nighter up there soon. I have hiked that place so many times, and everytime, I am thinking, "I should have just stayed overnight." Hows the skeeters?

damn. sorry to hear that. about 7:30 i was looking up there thinking "i wish i was there." looked like awesome light breaking through the storm.

If you have a shuttle available it is nice hike to hike up Mineral Fork early (before the ATVs get revved up), cross the divide and come back down past Lake Blanche. I've done this hike a couple of times and enjoyed it both trips.
    RP

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Nebz View Post
    You were in that storm that is killing the Cottonwoods? Wow, thats gnarly! It looked pretty active here in Cottonwood Heights. Few strikes down here as well.

Minus the raging storm, how was the trail? Melted off, lake unfrozen? We want to do an over nighter up there soon. I have hiked that place so many times, and everytime, I am thinking, "I should have just stayed overnight." Hows the skeeters?
    Yes, I was right in the middle. Haha. Wasn't that fun... well, it was, but it wasn't. Anyways.

The trail is perfectly clear till you get about 1/8 to the top. Then there are 3 or 4 snow patches that you have to carefully walk across so you don't go sliding down the mountain. Haha. The first lake that I came to (whichever that one is) is completely clear. I'm not sure about the other lakes. I really didn't feel like exploring anymore. Haha.
    damn. sorry to hear that. about 7:30 i was looking up there thinking "i wish i was there." looked like awesome light breaking through the storm.
    There was some pretty amazing light going on up there. You would have gotten some beautiful shots, I'm sure.

Quote Originally Posted by rwpontius View Post
    If you have a shuttle available it is nice hike to hike up Mineral Fork early (before the ATVs get revved up), cross the divide and come back down past Lake Blanche. I've done this hike a couple of times and enjoyed it both trips.
    RP
    Mineral Fork? Is that Little Cottonwood Canyon? How long is that hike and how difficult?

Mineral Fork? Is that Little Cottonwood Canyon? How long is that hike and how difficult?
    Mineral Fork is the drainage just east of Mill B South. It is accessed just above the S-Turn in Big Cottonwood Canyon.

Mineral Fork is the drainage just east of Mill B South. It is accessed just above the S-Turn in Big Cottonwood Canyon.
    How's that compare to the Lake Blanche trail?

You got caught in that storm? Wow!! I was fishing at East Canyon and saw the action to the south east. It looked intense and we went through a huge thundershower on the way up there. I was driving east on 215 and it just started dumping outta the blue (literally). It started just past union park and ended right when we got up the hill and started north. Crazy! I got a couple pictures of a rainbow in that direction.

Name:  268115_216424771549&.jpg
Views: 177
Size:  44.6 KB

Name:  269087_216425019555&.jpg
Views: 185
Size:  60.3 KB

You are referring to Mineral Fork.
    Neat trail up there, too. That'll be a lush place for awhile!

How's that compare to the Lake Blanche trail?
    It is pretty sweet. Puts you up by two mines, and the foliage in the fall is unreal. Wildflowers in the summer are awesome too. Not as picturesque as Mill B South, but also a lot less traffic. And I think the overall views of the canyons north from up there is a bit better IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian in SLC View Post
    Neat trail up there, too. That'll be a lush place for awhile!
    Yeah I imagine that it is super green up there with all the Aspens this year. When the flowers pop up there is is gonna be beautiful.

It is pretty sweet. Puts you up by two mines, and the foliage in the fall is unreal. Wildflowers in the summer are awesome too. Not as picturesque as Mill B South, but also a lot less traffic. And I think the overall views of the canyons north from up there is a bit better IMHO.
    Hmmm. That might be my next hike. Sounds nice. :) Thanks!

You are referring to Mineral Fork. Yes, sick place to go, and some of the biggest spreads of fireweed I have ever seen in the Wasatch. I have had some great days on walkabout up there.
    no. i'm referring to the little basin east of where lake blanche is. upper lake blanche? the little basin just west of superior. there's a small spring up there. not sure what it's really called i guess. takes another hour or so to hike up from lake blanch to the spring. you can also climb up and over and walk down to alta pretty easily from there.

no. i'm referring to the little basin east of where lake blanche is. upper lake blanche?
    That basin is way sweet. I've been up there twice and both times void of people. I need to dust off my old film shots but we sat through an epic thunderstorm up there followed by an amazing sunset reflection on a smaller lake up high (maybe the spring). This shot was the next day coming down. Both times I've done it was up and over Mt. Superior. A tricky downslide on scree followed by fun boulderhopping.

Borrowed external frame awesomeness
    Name:  CallieTomLakeBlan&.jpg
Views: 176
Size:  72.2 KB

An old Trip Report from the Mineral Fork-Lake Blanche Loop in case anyone is interested.
    RP
    http://www.bogley.com/forum/showthre...752#post321752

no. i'm referring to the little basin east of where lake blanche is. upper lake blanche? the little basin just west of superior. there's a small spring up there. not sure what it's really called i guess. takes another hour or so to hike up from lake blanch to the spring. you can also climb up and over and walk down to alta pretty easily from there.
    I know where you are talking about now. That is right below Cardiac Pass. I guess I was thinking direct east, when actually it is more S/SE direction from Mill B South Fork. Yes, the topo I have shows that spring. I have caught a glimpse of it doing the loop from Mineral Fork. But have not spent any time up there. Maybe have to check it out next time I am up there. Looks pretty secluded.

I know where you are talking about now. That is right below Cardiac Pass. I guess I was thinking direct east, when actually it is more S/SE direction from Mill B South Fork. Yes, the topo I have shows that spring. I have caught a glimpse of it doing the loop from Mineral Fork. But have not spent any time up there. Maybe have to check it out next time I am up there. Looks pretty secluded.
    yeah, it's pretty sweet up there. very remote feeling for the wasatch. and superior can catch some really sweet sunsets. i forgot that the little spring does make kind of a pond, though the actual spring is up the hill from it a little ways. all under snow right now though.

the route up there follows perhaps a social trail or a game trail? kinda tough to follow, but from lake blanche looking east, you go up the slope on the left, and try and stay pretty high but never gain the ridge between mineral fork and mill b south. there is reasonable camping, but close to treeline and pretty exposed when a storm comes rockin' through.

view heading up

view from cardiac pass looking toward lake blanche
    Attached Images Attached Images