Thread: Mosquito Cove, reopened?

Blog Entries

Mosquito Cove, reopened?

Just talking to my friend Nick North, and he was saying Mosquito Cove was reopened over the weekend.

Can anyone confirm that? (I know people have been crossing the closed gate and been camping there anyways)

If it's open - that can open up more free camping spots for the Bogley Zion fest this weekend.
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I would also be very interested in knowing this, as I'm planning on heading down this weekend. If it isn't reopened, are there any other places in the area where you can camp for free?
    --Cliff

If it was reopened I sure didn't see anyone camping there, and I drove by Saturday and Sunday. Everyone was still at Coal Pits Wash.

Blog Entries
    Just so everyone knows, Mosquito Cove is still officially closed (as of last weekend, 6/18). I talked to the BLM rangers in St. George last weekend, and they said there is no ETA on reopening it anytime soon.
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

I was up there this past weekend and it is still closed
    Don`t be afraid your life will end be afraid it will never begin fear is the thief of all dreams...

Just out of curiosity, what is their reasoning for still having it closed? Anyone know? The Coalpits Wash area is beginning to look very trampled and dirty.
    If you are wondering what my wife and I are doing in my Avatar... we are laughing at all you funny looking Bogleyites!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tylerhirshfeld View Post
    Just out of curiosity, what is their reasoning for still having it closed? Anyone know? The Coalpits Wash area is beginning to look very trampled and dirty.
    Well the floods washed it out, and they have no desire (money) to fix it up. They said earlier this year (back in March) that it will be "indefinitely closed".

Too bad the coal pits are looking dirty, as you say.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

Quote Originally Posted by jman View Post
    Well the floods washed it out, and they have no desire (money) to fix it up.
    Wait, did they do something to it before? I never liked this place to begin with. Always was dirty to me and smelled of well... nastiness. The floods scour it out and then it is overrun with people and then it gets nasty again and then the floods come....etc. I never knew they (the government) ever did anything to that place to begin with.
    Life is Good

Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Card View Post
    Wait, did they do something to it before? I never liked this place to begin with. Always was dirty to me and smelled of well... nastiness. The floods scour it out and then it is overrun with people and then it gets nasty again and then the floods come....etc. I never knew they (the government) ever did anything to that place to begin with.
    which is why I was opposed to it being closed. it will become nasty in many more places without law enforcement and I bet private property owners will notice more illegal camping.

IMO the problem is the zion area developed campgrounds are too expensive for some people's taste. I'd still think the supper majority of people would pay a couple $$ to camp there if there were johns. problem is how do you prevent a flood every few years washing sewage down the river.

Agreed. I think it should be open too. Nature scours it clean every so often.
    Life is Good

Drove by Mosquito Cove this weekend. The gate was closed, but there were a number of people parked on the road with tents pitched down below.

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Card View Post
    Agreed. I think it should be open too. Nature scours it clean every so often.
    Let's see, lots of fecal matter in the flood plain of the water supply of communities downstream. Can't put in toilets because it is in the flood plain.

WOULD BE NICE if the BLM would develop a low-cost campground, but considering the considerable commercial interests in the area, seems not so likely, AND it is not clear they really have a place to do so. In Moab, seemed like they did a good job of formalizing the campsites upriver from town - not sure a similar opportunity exists in the Zion vicinity.

Business Opportunity???

Tom

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia View Post
    Let's see, lots of fecal matter in the flood plain of the water supply of communities downstream. Can't put in toilets because it is in the flood plain.

WOULD BE NICE if the BLM would develop a low-cost campground, but considering the considerable commercial interests in the area, seems not so likely, AND it is not clear they really have a place to do so. In Moab, seemed like they did a good job of formalizing the campsites upriver from town - not sure a similar opportunity exists in the Zion vicinity.

Business Opportunity???

Tom
    I've always wondered why the road to Zion (sounds religious) is not developed more than what it is. Your example of Moab has numerous places to camp, but Zion not so much. There is a lot of empty land on that road especially near Virgin. I would fork over $3-5 night per camp site if it had outhouses and at least one water spigot....just saying.

There definitely is a need there...If I was a businessman that would of happened a long time ago...
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia View Post
    Let's see, lots of fecal matter in the flood plain of the water supply of communities downstream.
    Oh come on. It is just Nevada we are talking about..... I've been to Vegas and it seems like they have plenty of water to spare. (end sarcasm)

not sure a similar opportunity exists in the Zion vicinity. Business Opportunity???
    I can think of one really nice place the BLM closed in the vicinity of Virgin that I would like to have a crack at purchasing.
    Life is Good