Thread: Leprechaun Canyon has a big obstacle.

Leprechaun Canyon has a big obstacle.

We went through Leprechaun west fork this weekend, 6-11-2011, and found that in the narrows after the west fork joins the main fork of leprechaun, there was a large boulder fall that has thrown several very large boulders into one of the corners that are a little more open in that section.

This is in the darkest section of the canyon, and required some serious moves to get through. The size requirements for navigation of the boulder fall at the bottom of the slot is significantly smaller than anything regularly found in Leprechaun.

We were able to slip through worm style, and then continue out the end, but I felt that anyone larger than myself would have a pretty tough time getting through, if at all.

My measurements are 41" chest, 32" waist, 20 inches across, from shoulder to shoulder.

Other than that, Leprechaun is beautiful, so if you can fit, enjoy the new obstacle to maneuver.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by eCheese View Post
    We went through Leprechaun west fork this weekend, 6-11-2011, and found that in the narrows after the west fork joins the main fork of leprechaun, there was a large boulder fall that has thrown several very large boulders into one of the corners that are a little more open in that section.
    Any Pictures?

Might be a common occurrence this spring/summer. I did a canyon with a group on Saturday that has brand new rock fall in it. Completely blocked the normal path. We had to scurry over it and test it slowly to see how stable it was. Be safe out there.
    Jared Hillhouse
    North Wash Outfitters LLP.
    Twitter: @North_Wash
    N.W.O. on Facebook
    "Great Adventure Buddies Make It Happen"

Pics incomming

I was not operating the camera, and we didnt think to snap any pics of the new boulder fall. It was getting a little late, and I was trying to make sure everyone got through safely. As long as you fit through the new boulderfall, its in great condition this year.

FWIW: I've climbed striaght up and out the top of that slot before so folks should never become trapped unless they try to squeeze through somewhere they shouldn't. If you climb out the top you just walk 20-yards east and you are at the top of the rappel in East Fork of Leprechaun.

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar

This is in the darkest section of the canyon, and required some serious moves to get through. The size requirements for navigation of the boulder fall at the bottom of the slot is significantly smaller than anything regularly found in Leprechaun.

We were able to slip through worm style, and then continue out the end, but I felt that anyone larger than myself would have a pretty tough time getting through, if at all.

My measurements are 41" chest, 32" waist, 20 inches across, from shoulder to shoulder.

Other than that, Leprechaun is beautiful, so if you can fit, enjoy the new obstacle to maneuver.
    Yes, if I am thinking of the same place. There is a jumble of boulders, just before the dark drop into Belfast Boulevard. The boulders shift around from time to time.

A re-arrangement occurred sometime last fall (between Nov 1 and Jan 1) that closed off the place I used to climb up through the jumble. It took a couple tries to find a place where I could wiggle MY MASSIVE CHEST (as Shane would say) through a narrow slot. Size being a problem, but the lack of flexibility of an old man with a MASSIVE CHEST also being an issue. Since I rarely carry a tape measure in the canyon, let me suggest that those weighing more than 170 lbs will struggle to wiggle their way through, if they can find a place where they fit.

The section starts with a crawl under a few boulders. If too big to find a way through, you can always crawl back out and climb up before the boulders, however, the climb-up is quite burly as the slot tapers toward the top. Assistance from below by one of the smaller persons would be very helpful. Once atop the boulders, one can access the top of Belfast Boulevard easily.

Huh. Canyons change? Who knew!

Tom

Oh and, thanks for the report. Yes canyons change, good to let people know.
    Last edited by ratagonia; 06-14-2011 at 10:10 AM. Reason: politeness

Derp

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    FWIW: I've climbed striaght up and out the top of that slot before so folks should never become trapped unless they try to squeeze through somewhere they shouldn't. If you climb out the top you just walk 20-yards east and you are at the top of the rappel in East Fork of Leprechaun.
    It is certainly up-climbable, but my point of caution was more for anyone descending who is over about 170lbs. as Tom said. I weigh around 175, and I felt like I was pushing the upper limits now that those boulders have settled a bit more.

Yes, there are ways for a larger individual to pass this section, but again, as Tom said, the stem up and over is non-trivial.

The idea that noone should be able to become stuck here unless they try to squeeze through somewhere they shouldn't is a bit misleading. If you were navigating down canyon instead of up, you could easily find yourself trapped prior to the Boulevard if you dont have the requisite climbing skills and are too large to slide through the boulders.

we went through in april with a couple of guys who are definitely bigger than I am (6 foot, 180). you can make the squeeze if you are bigger, but it requires some contortion for sure. Much more difficult than it used to be. I'm sure we had some 210 pounders make it through though. We also met a couple who got stuck, and had to upclimb out. the guy was likely in the 200 pound range, carrying a 60m rope, and figured passage to be impossible. unfortunately, we didn't see them again after we made it through.

i didn't take any photos in that spot. it really is pretty similar to the old boulder pile, with the rabbit hole just being barely large enough to get through.

but my point of caution was....
    I appreciate you caution warning and I didn't intend to sound argumentive. I was just mentioning there was at least one other known method of skinning the same cat.

I suppose there is always another way to get through a canyon, though upclimbing a slot is way different than downclimbing, and i doubt most will upclimb first to make sure they can pass.

At any rate, I also was unable to locate an existing anchor at the west fork initial rappel, but there is a fresh new one waiting for anyone who has it in their sights.

and i doubt most will upclimb first to make sure they can pass.:
    i think he means that it is possible to retreat if you can't get past the rabbithole, either by upclimbing the slot OVER the boulders, and then back down, or by going back up the slot until you can escape. in other words, people shouldn't get stuck, there are options. but i chatted with my brother again today who did it with me, and reminded me how tight it really was. so i think the word of caution is probably pretty wise.

maybe our favorite beta-sprayer would consider a note on his route description? and a note at the kiosk in sandthrax camp might not be such a bad idea either.

Oh, if that is what he meant then i misunderstood.

Either way, its probably a good idea to let people know. Nobody wants to add several hours of upclimb to their canyon trip.