Thread: Death hollow and escalante water flow

Death hollow and escalante water flow

Has anyone been down either of these in the past week or so? I have been watching the gaging stations and am wondering what it looks like down there now. I am taking my varsity scouts down the BMT to Death Hollow and then down to the highway 12 trailhead in a week. Is Death Hollow flow clear? How high is the Escalante river at the 12th street trailhead?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Anyone?!?!?!

I haven't been down there recently but I'd be absolutely shocked if it wasn't clear. I've been down that canyon all times of the year, high runoff and low runoff and death has always been clear, even when the Escalante is a brown torrent down below. I would be prepared for some swift stream crossings between the Death/Escalante Confluence and the Hwy 12 bridge. I did it in April 2006 and my dog could barely make the crossings, almost went over her back. It also makes hiking in the Escalante really tough so you have to make sure and take all the sand slogs across bends. That route is one of my favorites of all time. Don't forget there is an awesome spring near the mouth of Sand Creek, don't bother pumping that night!

Thanks Nick. I will definitely hit up the spring. I hope it's as good as the seep at coyote gulch!!! I hope the water runoff is reasonable. I have one guy in my group that stresses out easily. The forecast is looking really good down there.

I was down there over Memorial day and Death Hollow was clear at that time, and was rarely more than 1 ft. deep, other than the numerous swimming holes. When I was down there the Escalante was flowing pretty good (above 100 cfs, with a peak of 160) but it seems to have settled down a bit now as it hasn't been above 50 cfs in the last week or so. You should be fine at this level, we had a few areas where the crossings were a little interesting, but nothing I would even consider remotely dangerous. In fact, we ran into a family with a 10 year old girl on the trail so if your scouts complain just mention her and that should get em going again. :)

Quote Originally Posted by uintafly View Post
    I was down there over Memorial day and Death Hollow was clear at that time, and was rarely more than 1 ft. deep, other than the numerous swimming holes. When I was down there the Escalante was flowing pretty good (above 100 cfs, with a peak of 160) but it seems to have settled down a bit now as it hasn't been above 50 cfs in the last week or so. You should be fine at this level, we had a few areas where the crossings were a little interesting, but nothing I would even consider remotely dangerous. In fact, we ran into a family with a 10 year old girl on the trail so if your scouts complain just mention her and that should get em going again. :)
    Thanks for the information, I really appreciate it!!!

Bigred-

How'd the trip go? I'll be down there pretty soon, would love any updates you might be able to offer.

The trip went great. Death hollow had clear running water a little higher than last year, not a problem though. We didn't have to swim through any area. Escalante river was silty, but not a problem to filter water through. Be familiar with poison ivy. Most of it is where you enter from the boulder mail trail. Most people I've encountered really don't know what poison ivy looks like, so thy think it is all over the entire trail, when in fact there is not as much as some think.

What is your route? If you haven't already gone I have a lot of great camp sites I can send you.

Bigred 72 Are you going to do a trip report and post pics?
    [COLOR=#800080][FONT=franklin gothic medium]"Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L

For a nice report on Death Hollow check out cedarandsand.blogspot.com on months June and July 2011. Some great pics.

Quote Originally Posted by Huaquero View Post
    For a nice report on Death Hollow check out cedarandsand.blogspot.com on months June and July 2011. Some great pics.
    Awesome blog. Death from the top is high on my list after doing it about every other possible way. Is that your stuff or just something you stumbled on?

Sorry for the delay. I have been really busy since I've been back or at least that's the excuse I'm giving. I will post a few. Most pictures are with my scouts, so I won't post any of those.

ibenick - No, it's not my stuff. Just another cool site to check out and gather information.

Here is a map of our trip, some places we stayed at and some great campsites for the next time I'm down there.

Viewing on a mobile device? Click this link to open the map: http://www.mappingsupport.com/p/gmap4.php?q=mymap,215254169415131928066.0004a61d4991f1ee68d00&msa=0

Quote Originally Posted by bigred72 View Post
    Here is a map of our trip, some places we stayed at and some great campsites for the next time I'm down there.
    Nice map dude. I'm a big fan of a well-built google map.

Quote Originally Posted by ibenick View Post
    Nice map dude. I'm a big fan of a well-built google map.
    Thanks Nick. I finally took the time to figure it out after I saw you post some.

Great to see leaders willing to take boys on adventures like that. Death Hollow is still on my list but I think I will do it in October

Quote Originally Posted by kvolk View Post
    Great to see leaders willing to take boys on adventures like that. Death Hollow is still on my list but I think I will do it in October
    Thanks!!! It's Coyote Gulch next year!!! I'd take them now if I could.

When doing Coyote Gulch don't miss the little slots in Dry Fork. Spooky and Peekaboo are lots of fun. Coyote Gulch is another on I wouldn't do in summer in spite of the water supply. I have done April and October.

I liked to read more about you.Will you show me its link.