Thread: Suggestions for an alpine trip in Utah that would be accessible/snow free.

Suggestions for an alpine trip in Utah that would be accessible/snow free.

Since we are having such a strange weather year, and I am in the process of putting together some backpacking trips for the weeks ahead, I was wondering, what areas would you hit with the snow pack up north here basically making the high terrain not accessible without a sled or skins? We just did Boulder Mountain, so looking for some places other than there. If there are lakes and fish, bonus, but not a requirement. Just beautiful scenery, a good hike in, and some solitude. Oh yeah, and dog friendly.

I have my share of favorites and areas in Utah that I know really well, but Utah is a big place. And as I have been to a lot of places here, There is still a ton of areas that I have yet to explore. This is why I love it here, so much you can do. Could you really see everything here in Utah in a lifetime? Maybe, what a lifetime that would be.

I thought I would pool the collective knowledge of this board and see what responses I got and maybe make a follow up trip report from our adventure there if we hit a suggestion on here.

Thanks in advance for your posts.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I know it's not Alpine, but what about Jones Hole (Dinosaur NM)? It's an excellent one with great fishing, a crystal clear stream (so it's suitable for warm weather), petroglyphs, pictographs, soaring cliffs, excellent campsites and wonderful scenery. Highly recommeded. It's not that long of hike, but there are lots of things to explore (Ely Creek,looking down the heads of the Laryrinths, etc.).

The Henry Mountains aren't that snowy right now, but I don't know which trips I could backpack there. No fishing either.

I would guess that the Tushars are still snowy, but maybe getting to Blue Lake wouldn't be so bad in a couple weeks(?).

Some of the below are sub-aline rather than true alpine (much like Bouder Mountain):

Hiking up into the Horseshoe Cirques above Spring City should be OK in a few weeks. The fishing is lower down.

The west side of the Abajos has some interesting hiking (with indian ruins way up in the mountains for something unusual), but I don't know of any fishing there.

The Pine Valley Mountains may be reasonable in a few weeks (some snow will be around for sure), but I'm not sure of fishing.

Fish Creek above Scofield has fish. I imagine there wouldn't be too much snow there in a couple weeks.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott P View Post
    I know it's not Alpine, but what about Jones Hole (Dinosaur NM)? It's an excellent one with great fishing, a crystal clear stream (so it's suitable for warm weather), petroglyphs, pictographs, soaring cliffs, excellent campsites and wonderful scenery. Highly recommeded. It's not that long of hike, but there are lots of things to explore (Ely Creek,looking down the heads of the Laryrinths, etc.).

The Henry Mountains aren't that snowy right now, but I don't know which trips I could backpack there. No fishing either.

I would guess that the Tushars are still snowy, but maybe getting to Blue Lake wouldn't be so bad in a couple weeks(?).

Some of the below are sub-aline rather than true alpine (much like Bouder Mountain):

Hiking up into the Horseshoe Cirques above Spring City should be OK in a few weeks. The fishing is lower down.

The west side of the Abajos has some interesting hiking (with indian ruins way up in the mountains for something unusual), but I don't know of any fishing there.

The Pine Valley Mountains may be reasonable in a few weeks (some snow will be around for sure), but I'm not sure of fishing.

Fish Creek above Scofield has fish. I imagine there wouldn't be too much snow there in a couple weeks.
    Great suggestions. Thanks. I have been looking at the Pine Valley area.

I just got home from the Bird. Though there is still a lot of snow, it is melting off at a pretty rapid rate for how cool it has been. I imagine if they lost that much in a weeks time since I have been up there, that if we hold this warming trend, a lot more snow is gonna come off.