Thread: Washing my Sleeping Bag?

Washing my Sleeping Bag?

I have a Mountain Hardware bag that I need to wash. Its a 600 down bag that I zip together with a MH bivy. The care instructions say to take it to a dry cleaner experienced with bags and who will guarantee their work. You can also wash on your own, but only in a side loading washer?

Where do you guys take your nice bags? Should I just throw it in the washer? I have a top loading washer...

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

don't throw it in a normal washer, it will destroy the baffles. either use a side loading washer at the laundromat, or use the bathtub and wash it by hand. careful not to wring it, to protect the baffles. get down shampoo. lay it flat in the tub and press on it with a dry towel to get as much water weight out of it, and then carefully fold it or wrap it in a towel to move it to the dryer, again to protect the baffles. and then toss it in the dryer with a couple of new tennis balls to restore the loft, but with very low heat.

i wash all my down gear by hand in the tub, fwiw.

Thanks for the tips. This bag is nasty and it has needed a wash for a couple years. I wonder if there is a local service that washes them or if Kirkhams or another retailer could refer someone. If not, I'll wash it myself using your excellent instructions.

I have a High Efficiency washer, so I get this stuff called Penguin Wash I do all my outerwear, sleeping bags, tent flys, ect with it.

To dry it, put a tennis ball in the dryer. This will help keep the loft in the baffles and make sure that your down gets evenly distributed back in the baffles.

Do not store your down bag in a stuff sac. I always hang mine up until I pack for my trip. Has worked just fine for all my down bags and down jackets.

X2 what he said!

Quote Originally Posted by CarpeyBiggs View Post
    don't throw it in a normal washer, it will destroy the baffles. either use a side loading washer at the laundromat, or use the bathtub and wash it by hand. careful not to wring it, to protect the baffles. get down shampoo. lay it flat in the tub and press on it with a dry towel to get as much water weight out of it, and then carefully fold it or wrap it in a towel to move it to the dryer, again to protect the baffles. and then toss it in the dryer with a couple of new tennis balls to restore the loft, but with very low heat.

i wash all my down gear by hand in the tub, fwiw.
    But if I agreed with you, we would both be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by CarpeyBiggs View Post
    and then toss it in the dryer with a couple of new tennis balls to restore the loft
    You can use old tennis balls, just put them in a sock or a stuff sac. My 686 550 fill Down Jacket came with a tennis ball and a stuff sac to put it in when I dried it after a wash. I just put 2 balls in a sac (yeah, get a lot of laughter explaining how to do this ) and throw them in the drier. The Nik Wax rep told me that the Penguin Wash will do essentially the same thing, for less money. Since I have a front loader that is High Efficiency, and I hang my sleeping bags till use, this has worked just fine for me.

If you want to spend some money to lengthen the life of your bag and its fill, then get the Nik Wax Down combo.
    Name:  8.51408_e..jpg
Views: 751
Size:  57.4 KB

If the bag is really nasty you may want to soak it in the bathtub overnight with a little vinegar to help break down the bacteria and such that has built up in it and then throw it in the wash per everyone else instructions. Make sure also that any zippers are zipped and Velcro is velcroed to its mate so you don't have things that can snag the material :)
    Tacoma Said - If Scott he asks you to go on a hike, ask careful questions like "Is it going to be on a trail?" "What are the chances it will kill me?" etc. Maybe "Will there be sack-biting ants along the way?"

Like Dan said. Bathtub soak with down wash. I never dry mine in the dryer either. I let them air dry laying flat then I throw them into the dryer for 5-10 minutes with a can of racquetballs. Perfect! Also if you're spending a bunch of nights in it, like I typically do, then use a lightweight liner. I got a silk liner that feels like its not even there and it cost almost nothing from Campmor!
    beefcake. BEEFCAKE!

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Nebz View Post
    If you want to spend some money to lengthen the life of your bag and its fill, then get the Nik Wax Down combo.
    Name:  8.51408_e..jpg
Views: 751
Size:  57.4 KB
    I tried the Nikwax waterproofing and hated it. It makes the bag feel all sticky, like it's covered in silicone or something. I didn't enjoy the 'feel' of it at all. ISo now I use the spray waterproofer on the outside.
    beefcake. BEEFCAKE!

Quote Originally Posted by nelsonccc View Post
    It makes the bag feel all sticky
    Are you sure Nik Wax was to blame?

Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar

Now that I think about it I have had a few wild nights in that bag, er, I mean wet nights.....
    beefcake. BEEFCAKE!