Thread: Baptist Draw Upper Chute

Baptist Draw Upper Chute

My son and I did Baptist Draw/Upper Chute today. It was his first experience with technical canyoneering. He has been rock climbing and bouldering for several years but the variety of skill sets we encountered today in our four hour trek kept him anxious for more. He wants to do some more canyons so it was a successful adventure.

The first drop we were able to down climb and the anchors and webbing were in good shape at the other two rappels. There was a lot of water in uppper chute and it was cold but fun. The climb out was not bad and the walk back to the truck in the sun was enjoyable.

We saw a group of scouts headed down Baptist Draw as we were exiting the canyon. I hope they made it through the water without having to swim because there were some spots that were easily over four feet deep.
    Attached Images Attached Images        
    Last edited by New Mexico; 06-08-2011 at 06:30 PM. Reason: Adding pics

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Haven't been there in 3 or more years. Is that 3-bolt anchor at the drop from Baptist into Chute? Last time I was there, there were just multiple slings around a boulder at that last drop. Made getting into the rappel a little more challenging then.

Quote Originally Posted by peakbaggers View Post
    Haven't been there in 3 or more years. Is that 3-bolt anchor at the drop from Baptist into Chute? Last time I was there, there were just multiple slings around a boulder at that last drop. Made getting into the rappel a little more challenging then.
    I was just noticing the same thing. It's been a long time since I did Baptisit but I just checked my notes "Baptist Draw ends with an 80-foot rappel into Upper Chute Canyon. The standard rappel anchor is a large chokestone in the watercourse."

Yes, the 3-bolt anchor is the last rappel from Baptist into Chute. There was nothing around the large chokestone and since the bolt anchor was there thats what we used.

I was in there the other day and those rap bolts are very industrial. It was exactly 65' from the anchor to the ground. I also noticed a bunch of bolted climbs along the canyon walls in the shallow narrows upstream of the first rappel. Lots of closely-spaced bolts up really easy, low angle stuff about 25-30' high. Maybe a guide service or some other institutional group is using that canyon for courses?