Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Uinta Access, etc.

UDOT is showing that the Mirror Lake Highway is going to open tomorrow - the 30th.
    Biking, Hiking, and Fishing are life. Everything else is just fluff.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by brookiekiller View Post
    UDOT is showing that the Mirror Lake Highway is going to open tomorrow - the 30th.
    Late June. LOL

Don't get too excited. This video from the Provo Bros. was shot during the Summer Solstice- June 21st, 2011. As you can see, the upper part of the range is still buried. It is gonna be until late July to August before any of this opens up without needing to skin or snowshoe into anything good up there. Watch the video, and pray for a heat wave.

Melting really fast though. I backpacked up there this past weekend. I'm pretty confident there will be plenty of good destinations by July 15. Specifically the sub 10,500 areas. The really high stuff and passes, yeah, late July into August.

Quote Originally Posted by ibenick View Post
    Melting really fast though. I backpacked up there this past weekend. I'm pretty confident there will be plenty of good destinations by July 15. Specifically the sub 10,500 areas. The really high stuff and passes, yeah, late July into August.
    Where did you go this past weekend?

As you can see in that video, down to about 9,000 feet and it is still buried.

Since the 21st the snow around Trial Lake has already Melted 26 inches. And the data will most likely show another 3" drop by morning (30th). Since the data is taken in the mornings.

I think that Trial is just below 10,000 feet.... Someone correct me if I am wrong.

But yeah, the snow seems to be melting around 3 - 4 inches a day.

Hey Nick, do you think Lofty Lake will be accessible at all this year??
    Customizable Adult & Kids shirts, onesies, and More
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/CheaperThanShirt

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Nebz View Post
    Where did you go this past weekend?

As you can see in that video, down to about 9,000 feet and it is still buried.
    Shingle Creek, camped at about 8900 feet on dry ground just as it started to become patchy. Snow is consistent at low to mid 9k right now, in the shady areas it's thick patches down to 9,000 and then totally clear. I backpacked the exact same spot on June 3, 2006 (typical snow year) and conditions were almost exactly the same. So June 25 minus June 3 = about 3 weeks behind schedule. So I figure if it's typically good to hit the sub 10,5k areas by late June/early July then July 15-ish should be about right this year. In '06 I also backpacked Amethyst Basin on July 4th and it was nice and green, probably would have been doable 1-2 weeks earlier. But I guess we'll see how it all melts out. I do think however that everyone's fear of nothing til August is crap. Unless they just can't handle a little mud and a few patches of snow. I say embrace it, snow keeps beer cold way better than a lake!

But even right now, there are definitely snow-free, backpacking & fishing-friendly destinations to be had in the Uintas. The entire range is not in the same condition as the popular west end, you just have to drive a little bit further. Hopefully after this weekend I'll have photos of me pulling out brookies at 10k+ to share.

Quote Originally Posted by dmMatrix View Post
    Hey Nick, do you think Lofty Lake will be accessible at all this year??
    Without a doubt. It was wide open and dry when I hiked through on July 7th last year so add 2-3 weeks to that and I think it will be good. There's not really any areas around it that will hold snow unusually long. Maybe the trail up the backside between Kamas and Lofty could have some drifts but that's it. Trip report from last July 6-7th can be found here: http://backcountrypost.com/?p=170

The North Slope is drying out in a hurry. Spirit Lake is over 10200 and has been snow free on its snotel station since the 15th of June - there is still a little snow around as they are just opening the road, but the Ashley doesn't open up the road until they are assured that no damage can happen on it. The Henry's Fork, Red Castle, and Blacks Fork are all snow free at the trail heads, and I have heard more than a few reports of people making it up to the upper basins of Henry's Fork. The ML Highway usually gets more snow than the rest of the range and is a poor indicator of what conditions are like further east. The North Slope generally gets less snow and moisture as well due to the path of the storms.

One more little tidbit. I talked to someone in the Vernal Ranger District today who said that a couple days ago they sent a vehicle up to Chepeta and they were turned back about 3 miles from the lake by snow drifts. They have a 'larger' vehicle going today to see what it's like but they hadn't reported back yet. She figured it would be 2 weeks before it was all melted off up there but that the stuff on the NE side by Flaming Gorge is mostly open now. That's where I'll be this weekend.

One more little tidbit. I talked to someone in the Vernal Ranger District today who said that a couple days ago they sent a vehicle up to Chepeta and they were turned back about 3 miles from the lake by snow drifts. They have a 'larger' vehicle going today to see what it's like but they hadn't reported back yet. She figured it would be 2 weeks before it was all melted off up there but that the stuff on the NE side by Flaming Gorge is mostly open now. That's where I'll be this weekend.
    Maybe I will see you around as I will be up there as well - I am still trying to decide if I should day hike around or get the big pack on.

Maybe I will see you around as I will be up there as well - I am still trying to decide if I should day hike around or get the big pack on.
    I'll be over that way getting my fish on! Hopefully Spirit Lake is open. If not Browne will work.

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Tapatalk

Big pack!

snow keeps beer cold way better than a lake!
    This is very true, as you can see below, we had that experience on Boulder Mountain earlier this month. Gotta love the backcountry snowbank kitchen w/refrigeration.

Name:  _DSC0088_2040..jpg
Views: 339
Size:  155.7 KB

I imagine lower elevation spots are either ready to roll, or will be in a couple of weeks. I think anything above 10,000 ft is gonna be snowbound until the end of the month. I know this snow pack this year, really well. I have 90+ days on it. The January 8th rain crust that occurred is what is keeping the snow so cold, even with the warmer temps. It rained at 11,000 ft at the Bird Jan 8th, with similar conditions throughout the state. The rain turned the snow to glacial ice, then we did some 400 inches on top of it, freezing it to rock harness. We need a heat wave to bust it, and I am sure some of it is just not going to melt all summer. In patches, but it will be there when the snow returns. It is gonna be a tough year for those high elevation fish, I bet there is gonna be bad winter kill up there this year.

I imagine lower elevation spots are either ready to roll, or will be in a couple of weeks. I think anything above 10,000 ft is gonna be snowbound until the end of the month. I know this snow pack this year, really well. I have 90+ days on it.
    What happens at Snowbird is very different than what happens at Mirror Lake and what happens further east, totally different story. Only time will tell I suppose. Oh and maybe the pics I'll be posting on Tuesday of me chomping down High Uinta brook trout at 10k+

What happens at Snowbird is very different than what happens at Mirror Lake and what happens further east, totally different story. Only time will tell I suppose. Oh and maybe the pics I'll be posting on Tuesday of me chomping down High Uinta brook trout at 10k+
    That's pretty darn funny!

Without a doubt. It was wide open and dry when I hiked through on July 7th last year so add 2-3 weeks to that and I think it will be good. There's not really any areas around it that will hold snow unusually long. Maybe the trail up the backside between Kamas and Lofty could have some drifts but that's it. Trip report from last July 6-7th can be found here: http://backcountrypost.com/?p=170

Oh nice, That is one that I haven't been to yet. Nice TR too!! My wife likes to stick to the easier ones for now as she is a little out of shape (my boy is only 18 months and she just dropped 15 pounds of baby weight)(kinda slow for her, she usually bounces right back). I wanted to hit this lake this year but everywhere on the net has almost scared me off from it. Thanks for the info.

I am not just basing my view on Snowbird Nick. My friends have been touring the Uintas all season. They know the snow pack as well as anyone out there. I would say Neil and Ian probably have more time in the Uintas in the last 6 month then all the users on this board combined. I am very inclined to trust their observations as they are actually getting out there above 10 K and seeing the conditions first hand. They said most of the lakes above the pass were still frozen over, meaning that those fish are starved. I bet a lot of them do not make it. And no insect hatches either, so no food. Some of them might be making a living on leaches, but there are not enough of those to go around to feed all the fish. I really, because of how late in the season it is, do not think the Uintas are going to be prime fishing this year. I am looking at other areas to hunt down some trophy sized biggies. I am as anxious as anyone to get out there, but I really think the wait is worth it. Fall fishing is the best IMO out there anyways. If they do have some that survive this long winter, they are gonna be hungry for my flies. I actually think the late snow has me checking areas I have never considered hitting, and some that I have wanted to hit. The crew is gonna tour the Duck Lake area via split boards this weekend, I will give a report when they return on how it was out there. I can't go because we are just into our new place, and I have lots of unpacking to do. Riding the Bird and hitting some local trails here that have opened up in the tri-canyons this weekend. Possible over nighter up BCC, depending on how much I get done around here.

I am not just basing my view on Snowbird Nick. My friends have been touring the Uintas all season. They know the snow pack as well as anyone out there. I would say Neil and Ian probably have more time in the Uintas in the last 6 month then all the users on this board combined. I am very inclined to trust their observations as they are actually getting out there above 10 K and seeing the conditions first hand. They said most of the lakes above the pass were still frozen over, meaning that those fish are starved. I bet a lot of them do not make it. And no insect hatches either, so no food. Some of them might be making a living on leaches, but there are not enough of those to go around to feed all the fish. I really, because of how late in the season it is, do not think the Uintas are going to be prime fishing this year. I am looking at other areas to hunt down some trophy sized biggies. I am as anxious as anyone to get out there, but I really think the wait is worth it. Fall fishing is the best IMO out there anyways. If they do have some that survive this long winter, they are gonna be hungry for my flies. I actually think the late snow has me checking areas I have never considered hitting, and some that I have wanted to hit. The crew is gonna tour the Duck Lake area via split boards this weekend, I will give a report when they return on how it was out there. I can't go because we are just into our new place, and I have lots of unpacking to do. Riding the Bird and hitting some local trails here that have opened up in the tri-canyons this weekend. Possible over nighter up BCC, depending on how much I get done around here.
    You heard it folks. Stay away from the Uintas until August! I like it that way, more solitude for me!
    Last edited by ibenick; 07-04-2011 at 08:25 PM.

You heard it folks. Stay away from the Uintas until August! I like it that way, more solitude for me!
    More solitude for us too. We will take it.

The snow at Trial Lake is at 18" right now and that is just a pubic hair shy of 10K feet. I hope people stay away for a little longer, Ill go eat all the fish

18" this morning already down to 14" as of 2:00pm today.