Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Uinta Access, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Deadeye008 View Post
    I'm headed up to Trial Lake this Friday/Saturday so I'll report on the conditions when I get back. Hopefully we can get up that far...
    Are you expecting to drive there?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by ibenick View Post
    Are you expecting to drive there?
    No, SnoTel is still reporting 49 inches of snow at Trial Lake. We are planning on finding the nearest camping spot that we can get the vehicles up to. We'll be hiking the rest of the way to fish Trial Lake.

Packing an auger in?

Packing an auger in?
    Haha. One of my friends hiked back in there last week and said the lake was open

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Tapatalk

Some more recent info/pics from DmMatrix in this thread. I appreciate the updates.

Any updates from the east end of the Uintas like Chepeta or Spirit Lake areas? The 10k+ snotels over there ran out of snow more than a week ago, wondering how possible a JUly 4th backpacking trip to the area is going to be.

Spirit lake still a no go - I am going this weekend to check it out again - and will check out Henry's Fork and China Meadows. The snow is still incredibly deep at the 10000 foot level - it is like a distinct line in that there is no snow at 9300, then at 9500 it is constant snow. I will have a better idea after this weekend.
    Biking, Hiking, and Fishing are life. Everything else is just fluff.

Here's a pic of Trial Lake from yesterday. We fished for about an hour or so but only caught a few.

Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by brookiekiller View Post
    Spirit lake still a no go - I am going this weekend to check it out again - and will check out Henry's Fork and China Meadows. The snow is still incredibly deep at the 10000 foot level - it is like a distinct line in that there is no snow at 9300, then at 9500 it is constant snow. I will have a better idea after this weekend.
    I hiked Shingle Creek this weekend. Nothing much until about 8800 then patchy to just below 9000 where it became 3-6 feet deep. I'd say it will be three weeks before it's to typical July 1st levels based on comparisons in the same spot from previous years. How was it on the east end?. I'm really hoping I can get up there next weekend.

The China Meadows and Henry's Fork trailheads are clear of snow. The road from the China Meadows campground to the trailhead was closed due to damage. The forest service said they are going to try to open the gate to Spirit Lake this weekend. I am thinking of trying to go up Henry's Fork or Red Castle this weekend as the snow looks as if it is melting out fast. China Meadows is around 10000 feet and it is no meadow, but a huge lake.

Quote Originally Posted by brookiekiller View Post
    The China Meadows and Henry's Fork trailheads are clear of snow. The road from the China Meadows campground to the trailhead was closed due to damage. The forest service said they are going to try to open the gate to Spirit Lake this weekend. I am thinking of trying to go up Henry's Fork or Red Castle this weekend as the snow looks as if it is melting out fast. China Meadows is around 10000 feet and it is no meadow, but a huge lake.
    So you think the chances of backpacking around 10,300-10,500 feet on that end of the Uintas will be decent for this weekend? I don't mind patches of snow, just don't want to camp on top of it. I was thinking of hitting the lakes around Chepeta or Spirit.

Today my dentist told me he was upKings Peak area last weekend. They camped at dollar lake and got tired of post holing around gunsight pass. He said it was wet but snow free aroun 10,000 ft.

He then went on to tell me about his through hike of the Winds he's planning for August. Yes my dentist is cooler than yours.

Quote Originally Posted by apcronnelly View Post
    Today my dentist told me he was upKings Peak area last weekend. They camped at dollar lake and got tired of post holing around gunsight pass. He said it was wet but snow free aroun 10,000 ft.

He then went on to tell me about his through hike of the Winds he's planning for August. Yes my dentist is cooler than yours.
    Your Dentist IS, in fact, Pretty dang cool.
    Customizable Adult & Kids shirts, onesies, and More
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/CheaperThanShirt

So you think the chances of backpacking around 10,300-10,500 feet on that end of the Uintas will be decent for this weekend? I don't mind patches of snow, just don't want to camp on top of it. I was thinking of hitting the lakes around Chepeta or Spirit.
    I think you could - especially in the Chepeta area. Spirit Lake will be good if you can drive up to it and plan on staying in the immediate area. If you go up the pass to Fish Lake, then the problem being the snow on the north-facing slopes.

The Utah State Route Seasonal Closure List still shows Mirror Lake Highway Closed :(

Glad to see that picture of the ice partly gone from Trial Lake and that you caught a few fish. The pictures I took about 4 days ago at lily barely showed signs of water peeking through. I hope that there weren't too many winter kill casualties.

The pictures I took are still up on my blog http://ryanfreakingwood.blogspot.com. If anyone goes up there this week or next please take some pictures. Also the Snotel Report site that I was given shows about 30" of snow around Trial Lake as of this morning. Its lost about 13" of snow since last Thursday when I was there.

So the DWR site lists Browne Lake as closed because of a mudslide. Can anyone confirm this? I am planning on heading to that area this weekend. Hopefully Spirit Lake will be open by then also.

http://wildlife.utah.gov/hotspots/de...?id=1156450687

So the DWR site lists Browne Lake as closed because of a mudslide. Can anyone confirm this? I am planning on heading to that area this weekend. Hopefully Spirit Lake will be open by then also.

Not good. I'm also planning on being in the area. I'll be making some calls in the AM. Keep us in the loop if you hear anything else.

Must be old information. I called the Forest Service up there today and the road to and campground at Browne Lake are both open.

I have never been that far east into the mountains. One of these years when I have fished the entire north slope maybe Ill try to head that way

Must be old information. I called the Forest Service up there today and the road to and campground at Browne Lake are both open.
    Awesome. Thanks for the info.