Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Uinta Access, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by ibenick View Post
    18" this morning already down to 14" as of 2:00pm today.
    NICE!!!!!! Oh man, I have less than a week until my 5 day hike/fish trip up there. if its at 14" now then the snow should about be long gone in most places by the time I'm hiking. Although, I am still a bit worried about Ibantik lake. But, I'm sure it will be fine.
    Customizable Adult & Kids shirts, onesies, and More
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/CheaperThanShirt

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by dmMatrix View Post
    NICE!!!!!! Oh man, I have less than a week until my 5 day hike/fish trip up there. if its at 14" now then the snow should about be long gone in most places by the time I'm hiking. Although, I am still a bit worried about Ibantik lake. But, I'm sure it will be fine.
    Less than a week? I think there will still be way too much for something like that.

Less than a week? I think there will still be way too much for something like that.
    Well, we are going to be in the area next Wednesday... weren't planning on doing any "real" hiking until next Saturday and Sunday. Do you think we have a chance? Although, even if we just make it to the Three Divides and John Lake (for my bro-in-law named John) Ill be happy.

Quote Originally Posted by brookiekiller View Post
    UDOT is showing that the Mirror Lake Highway is going to open tomorrow - the 30th.
    So is the road really open now? (I may have missed it in someone's reply...but I didn't see any official word).

Quote Originally Posted by kniephof View Post
    So is the road really open now? (I may have missed it in someone's reply...but I didn't see any official word).
    Name:  Open Highway..jpg
Views: 427
Size:  22.7 KB

That info is here: http://commuterlink.utah.gov/PDFCont...adClosures.pdf

Hey dm, let me know how your trip goes as i'm planning on going up to those same lakes the following week.

You heard it folks. Stay away from the Uintas until August! I like it that way, more solitude for me!
    Explain to me where I ever said "Stay away from the Uintas until August." That is pretty presumptuous at best to take that from what I posted.

Quote Originally Posted by sillyman View Post
    Hey dm, let me know how your trip goes as i'm planning on going up to those same lakes the following week.
    For sure, I will most likely be posting a Trip Report on the Sunday after (as we are planning to be home that Sunday (the 17th)). I will probably link the Trip Report right in this thread. I know there is someone else who was saying they were going to be up there today. It may have even been in this thread.

I just got my hopes up pretty bad, but was then let down when I realized there are, in fact, more than one Lily Lake. I was checking the stocking reports and saw this:
    Name:  Lily Stocking..JPG
Views: 451
Size:  19.7 KB

I checked the map just in case since I didn't know what the BR-11 designation meant... and it is a Lily Lake that is North of Butterfly Lake about 11 miles or so. I didn't even know that lake was there.

But Then I found this:
    Name:  Mirror Hot Fishi&#110.JPG
Views: 424
Size:  38.0 KB
    The yellow pointer is pointing to Mirror Lake and as you can see from the legend it says Fishing is Fair!!!!

I don't know what their definition of "fair" is but it just helped with my worrying about how well the fishing will be next week

Just got back from a trip to Browne & Spirit Lakes. The road to Spirit is open. There are a few patches of snow near the lake but almost all the snow is melted there. The lake is 100% open. The creek coming out of Spirit is FULL. The fishing was ok. We caught the most in the little creek that comes out of Browne Lake. Tons of mosquitos at Spirit.

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Tapatalk

Reading this thread with great interest!

My family & I will be in the Unitas starting on the 11th. We were supposed to go to the Tetons and backpack... but well, the photos I've been seeing remind me of an arctic winter, so a friend suggested the Unitas. I realize that there is still snow here and we are willing to stay lower (I have a 14yo and a 16yo, they aren't interested in peak bagging!)... does anyone know of a 3-4 day backpacking trip that we won't end up in 3 feet of snow (patchy is fine) or stuck because we can't cross a stream? I've been reading lots, but not sure of anything. I'd like to start with at least a bit of a plan.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by AZAmy View Post
    My family & I will be in the Unitas starting on the 11th. We were supposed to go to the Tetons and backpack... but well, the photos I've been seeing remind me of an arctic winter, so a friend suggested the Unitas. I realize that there is still snow here and we are willing to stay lower (I have a 14yo and a 16yo, they aren't interested in peak bagging!)... does anyone know of a 3-4 day backpacking trip that we won't end up in 3 feet of snow (patchy is fine) or stuck because we can't cross a stream? I've been reading lots, but not sure of anything. I'd like to start with at least a bit of a plan.

Thanks!
    My wife and I will be hiking and camping this week and should be back on the 10th. I know that is a little late for you to plan but if that helps I will be posting a link to the trip report that I have in here. There is someone else on this thread that is going up around the same time you are. Our trip will be around the Mirror lake highway lakes for the first maybe second day and then we will be doing some hiking into the Three Divide lakes, possibly Marjorie, maybe (if accessible) then Notch lake.

A quick update for you, from today. Mirror partially open, Lost is essentially ice free, Wall has open water near the outlet, and no people, Trial is crowded but has lots of ice free surface. Notch still covered, Lovenia has open patches. There were a lot of lower elevation, ice-free lakes visible from the top of Bald Mountain this morning, but haven't tried to identify them. The basins around the highway are still largely snow-covered, but it was generally easy walking today, despite the heat.

Quote Originally Posted by northernoutpost View Post
    Trial is crowded but has lots of ice free surface.
    How crowded is crowded? How did the lower campgrounds look? My wife is worried about finding a good site, she is making me ask :)

I'd guess maybe 50-60 people on the short stretch of dam when I walked back at 4 PM yesterday. Campgrounds in the vicinity are closed, and lower down in the canyon, everything with an inch of flat space was crammed.

Quote Originally Posted by northernoutpost View Post
    I'd guess maybe 50-60 people on the short stretch of dam when I walked back at 4 PM yesterday. Campgrounds in the vicinity are closed, and lower down in the canyon, everything with an inch of flat space was crammed.
    Ok, thanks for the info. Good thing we will be backpacking for most of it then. My wife might not get an actual camp sight *Tee Hee

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Nebz View Post
    Explain to me where I ever said "Stay away from the Uintas until August." That is pretty presumptuous at best to take that from what I posted.
    LOL. Just trying to make a little joke and bring this back to an easy going discussion about the Uintas! I'm sure you and your buds have skied plenty over the winter, not trying to say otherwise. I just think perhaps you're not seeing all of the data and observations available RIGHT NOW. A lot can happen in a week. And more importantly, I don't think anyone's opinion on this is important enough to warrant getting upset over. It's not the political forum!

But if you really want to know why I'm so 'presumptuous', these things you said might have helped.

I am as anxious as anyone to get out there, but I really think the wait is worth it. Fall fishing is the best IMO out there anyways.
    I think anything above 10,000 ft is gonna be snowbound until the end of the month.
    It is gonna be until late July to August before any of this opens up without needing to skin or snowshoe into anything good up there.
    So I guess I'm sorry if my comment was somehow offensive.

Just got back from 3 days backpacking the eastern Uintas. Had zero snow all the way to Potter Lake at 10,200 feet. Still some drifts above the lake but I'm quite sure I could have followed the trail to 11k+ without much trouble. Beautiful but very rugged area over there. Hiked in 7 miles and didn't see a single person after leaving the trailhead for the next three days. Fishing was just okay, caught around 8, the water was a bit turbid, might have something to do with it. Trip report coming soon.

Just got back from 3 days backpacking the eastern Uintas.
    Nice Nick. I got out for a quick 1 nighter to Wall Lake with a few friends. Still tons of snow in the area. My friends bagged Mt. Watson while I checked out the Notch.

Quote Originally Posted by kniephof View Post
    Nice Nick. I got out for a quick 1 nighter to Wall Lake with a few friends. Still tons of snow in the area. My friends bagged Mt. Watson while I checked out the Notch.
    I was just checking out your pics! Looks awesome, you guys are tough kicking through all that snow. Did you use crampons or micro spikes or were you just kicking in really well?