Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Uinta Access, etc.

Uinta Access, etc.

My friend just called the ranger station and they told him they don't have the funds to plow highway 150. I guess they'll just let mother nature melt it down then.

Commuterlink says:

[B]
    SR 150 Mirror Lake Highway
    Anticipated Opening Late-June CLOSED

[FONT=Helvetica-Bold][SIZE=2][FONT=Helvetica-Bold][SIZE=2]Kamas to Wyoming Border

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

They don't have funds?! What the hell. You'd think too much snow would have been a sufficient excuse.

I am not sure you could even plow it this deep. This is a picture of Bald Mountain Pass taken just 2 days ago. That sign is the elevation sign at the top of the pass. Gonna be a while.

Name:  65002..jpg
Views: 1246
Size:  77.5 KB

Oh man! That's still some deep stuff. It's gonna be a while indeed! Thanks for sharing Nebz. Makes me want a snowmobile...it would make for some good access to go bag some peaks...or...go ice fishing up at those lakes.

Who's packing the auger?

Quote Originally Posted by ibenick View Post
    Who's packing the auger?
    Rumor has it you can pack some serious weight...

Dang, I was hoping to do some car camping with the family sometime this month just off the highway. What do you think will be the first areas open?

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech View Post
    Dang, I was hoping to do some car camping with the family sometime this month just off the highway. What do you think will be the first areas open?
    There's plenty of good car camping right now. The snotels around 8000 feet are reporting nothing, the ones around 9000 feet are reporting a foot or two. So basically anything from Yellow Pine up through Soapstone and a little beyond would be fine car camping. A coworker told me that a friend of his went up there last week and was able to drive 8 miles past the closure gate at Soapstone before he parked to unload his snowmobiles just below Provo River Falls. I'm heading up this weekend and will report back on current levels.

Cool, thanks. It's been literally decades since I've gone the Kamas route. Is Mirror or Spirit Lake above the 8000' line?

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech View Post
    Cool, thanks. It's been literally decades since I've gone the Kamas route. Is Mirror or Spirit Lake above the 8000' line?
    Mirror Lake is over Bald Mountain Pass, that is gonna be a while.

There aren't really any lakes at all below 9400' or so and everything near the highway is pretty close to 10k where they're still reporting 70". But streams can be nice!

Well, the road is clear to about a mile below Provo River Falls as of yesterday and it appears no work is being done to accelerate the process. At least not by UDOT. There was a Chevy truck commercial being filmed up there. They had a shiny new truck with a big plow on it along with a crew of about 100 people. They said they needed some shots of it plowing snow and didn't really have anywhere else to go this year. We checked that out and then backpacked the North Fork Provo River. Here's a couple of pics, as usual I'll be posting a trip report later this week.

Where the snow starts. A little on the sides of the road before this but nothing in the road. All of the campgrounds are clear up to this point as well.

The Mirror Lake Highway is an awesome place to longboard when it's closed. If you're a little nuts anyway.

The Chevy stunt truck for the commercial. I'm looking forward to seeing this in an ad someday and knowing its the Mirror Lake Highway in JUNE!

EDIT: The full trip report is up now, http://backcountrypost.com/?p=844

This is good news. With the warmer temps expected, and the signs of full canyon melt happening in the tri-canyons, we may have the Uintas by early July. Nice recon Nick, thanks for the update.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Nebz View Post
    This is good news. With the warmer temps expected, and the signs of full canyon melt happening in the tri-canyons, we may have the Uintas by early July. Nice recon Nick, thanks for the update.
    Agreed - nice recon. Thanks Nick.

Oh...how were the skeeters? You didn't mention them in your report so I'm assuming they were a non-issue

Quote Originally Posted by kniephof View Post
    Oh...how were the skeeters?
    Pretty much non-existent, even down low where we were and water all over the place. Kind of surprising given how nice the temps were. We had a few float into camp right after sunset but they were gone in no time and I didn't bother putting on any bug dope.

I was just looking at snotel data and it looks like the east end of the Uintas has a lot less snow, particularly above 10,000 feet. I imagine that's typical but I've never really paid attention. Perhaps it would be a good area to hit up in the next week or two? Anyone been over there in the early season that can vouch for it clearing earlier than the rest? For example, the Chepeta snotel is only reporting 2" of snow at 10,300 feet compared to 50+" in the 10k+ snotels to the west of King's Peak. Link to the snotel data: http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/slc/avalanche/snotel/

Also couldn't help but notice they are cutting through 5-10 feet of snow right now on the Monte Cristo Road, where's the love for Mirror Lake Highway, UDOT?? Lame! http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=15972433
    Name:  39166..jpg
Views: 1267
Size:  43.7 KB

I was on the North Slope this weekend. Went over to the eastern side - Hoop Lake and Browne Lake are open and fine - the high country is still locked up - can't get to Spirit Lake. Went up the Blacks Fork drainage as well and you can only make it a little ways past the east fork junction. It will only be a couple of more days until you can make it to the trailheads, but the high country is still crazy with snow. Saw a lot of wildlife, so they are still hanging out in the lower elevations.
    Biking, Hiking, and Fishing are life. Everything else is just fluff.

I was up there yesterday. The Mirror Lake Highway is open to just past the Slate Gorge overlook. Amazing how long the snow's been around this year!

I'm headed up to Trial Lake this Friday/Saturday so I'll report on the conditions when I get back. Hopefully we can get up that far...