Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: Uinta Access, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Nebz View Post
    How was the trail out to Duck Lake? Were you post holing or just walking over piles of snow? How were the skeeters?

We got a report from a friend who was out there this past weekend and he said the ice is off Duck Lake and the Cuttys were spawning. Any info on this would be great. Thanks.
    The trail was very wet and it was mainly just walking over piles of snow - it should be gone quite fast. The camping areas on the East side was completely snow covered, and across the outlet was just a muddy mess, but yes - I did see some fish spawning as well. There were no skeeters. Junior lake was completely frozen over.
    Biking, Hiking, and Fishing are life. Everything else is just fluff.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by Wasatch Rebel View Post
    Yeah, about this time two years ago, I was hauling fish out of Weir. What were you using? I found worms to be quite effective, and usually do in those Uinta Lakes. The lakes with grayling I've caught them mostly on flies reeled slowly behind a bubble.
    My wife and I use smaller flies behind a bubble for the grayling.... if I recall now I was using a double renegade... maybe or a parachute adams, I have forgotten. My wife I believe was using a small bead head.

I typically use various colors of Jakes Lures for all of the Uinta Lakes and those catch trout all day long if you have the right color for the time of day, cloud cover, temperature, etc. This year those are much less effective than previous years. My wife has been out-catching me this year with flies. Although, even she is catching less so far than usual. I am sure it will pick up but I bet several of those lakes won't recover until next year
    Customizable Adult & Kids shirts, onesies, and More
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/CheaperThanShirt

Quote Originally Posted by dmMatrix View Post
    My wife and I use smaller flies behind a bubble for the grayling.... if I recall now I was using a double renegade... maybe or a parachute adams, I have forgotten. My wife I believe was using a small bead head.

I typically use various colors of Jakes Lures for all of the Uinta Lakes and those catch trout all day long if you have the right color for the time of day, cloud cover, temperature, etc. This year those are much less effective than previous years. My wife has been out-catching me this year with flies. Although, even she is catching less so far than usual. I am sure it will pick up but I bet several of those lakes won't recover until next year
    I was trying Jakes and flies - all kinds of flies. I could see some fish in the lakes, but they didn't like what I had to offer - I really think that the area gets way to much pressure. I was after a short and easy hike, and that made the trip worth it. If I really want to catch fish I will head over to the primitive area and get away from the crowds. I was at the divide lakes one year and couldn't keep them off my hook, and then went back another year and the lake seemed dead. I happened to mention that to a fish cop up there and he told me that one of lakes can't even support fish year round.

Quote Originally Posted by brookiekiller View Post
    The trail was very wet and it was mainly just walking over piles of snow - it should be gone quite fast. The camping areas on the East side was completely snow covered, and across the outlet was just a muddy mess, but yes - I did see some fish spawning as well. There were no skeeters. Junior lake was completely frozen over.
    Awesome. Thanks for the info.

I just spoke with the Evanston Ranger District regarding Henry's Fork. As of a week ago when their rangers hiked in the area:
    • The road in is clear and good to go.
    • Bugs are pretty thick below Bear Lake.
    • The bridge at Elkhorn Crossing is wiped out.
    • Due to the bridge being gone, they headed west to Bear Lake and Henry's Lake but still had to cross some rivers up to knee deep but very doable.
    • All North facing slopes at Gunsight Pass are full of snow
    • It is possible to skirt the west facing slope near Gunsight and boulder hop to the pass.
    • They didn't climb Gunsight Pass, so no info on conditions above it.
    I'm sure the ridge to Kings still requires mountaineering tools for safe climbing. I can imagine there are lingering large cornices and snow drifts the entire ridgeline.

Quote Originally Posted by Pfrosty View Post
    I'm sure the ridge to Kings still requires mountaineering tools for safe climbing. I can imagine there are lingering large cornices and snow drifts the entire ridgeline.
    i'm not so sure about this... i would expect that the snow would come off that ridge much quicker than it would off of the north facing slopes and gullies. but i haven't seen it myself. however, in amethyst last weekend, almost none of the north facing ridges had any snow on ostler peak... only the gullies. i highly doubt that mountaineering tools are required. maybe micro-spikes and a lightweight axe, but likely not tools

from amethyst - kings is farther east, but gives you an idea.

I'm headed to Kings Peak from Henry's Fork next Thursday and Friday - any insight on what to expect with a group of Boy Scouts?

Beautiful Pictures Biggs

I was trying Jakes and flies - all kinds of flies. I could see some fish in the lakes, but they didn't like what I had to offer - I really think that the area gets way to much pressure. I was after a short and easy hike, and that made the trip worth it. If I really want to catch fish I will head over to the primitive area and get away from the crowds. I was at the divide lakes one year and couldn't keep them off my hook, and then went back another year and the lake seemed dead. I happened to mention that to a fish cop up there and he told me that one of lakes can't even support fish year round.
    They do get lots of pressure, especially on the weekends. I usually slay all day long with just jakes but so far this year all I can get are the fish to follow and not hit :(

When you said one of the lakes couldn't support fish.... were you talking about one of the divide lakes? or which lake?

Quote Originally Posted by dmMatrix View Post
    Beautiful Pictures Biggs

They do get lots of pressure, especially on the weekends. I usually slay all day long with just jakes but so far this year all I can get are the fish to follow and not hit :(

When you said one of the lakes couldn't support fish.... were you talking about one of the divide lakes? or which lake?
    Yes - one of the divide lakes. He didn't specify which one and I don't fish them enough to know.

Yes - one of the divide lakes. He didn't specify which one and I don't fish them enough to know.
    Hmmm, I actually have never fished the divide lakes so I was just curious. I planned on fishing again in that area and hitting them in a few weeks.

Thanks for the info

I'm heading to Spirit Lake, Tammarack Lake, Fish Lake, and a few others this weekend. I'll be sure to post back with a picture or two explaining the conditions I find there. Thanks to everyone that has provided me with valuable insight to the conditions up there this year. It has been a good help in our planning.

July 23 & 24 - Middle Basin and Naturalist Basin

headed into middle basin via the highline trail shortcut, still tons of snow up there. mcpheters was 60 percent frozen, and ryder was tough to find camping at because of all the snow drifts. made the climb up over the pass into naturalist basin this morning, and snow was good for kicking steps until about 10:30 or 11, then it softened up a bit. blue lake was still 40 percent frozen, and lots of snow around morat lakes as well. nothing too significant though.

summitted hayden peak and spread eagle, both were essentially snow-free.

Notch Mountain Trail (Crystal lake to Bald Mountain)

7/21 - 7/23
    From Crystal lake TH to Divide Lakes via Wall Lake, had to traverse numerous snow patches, fallen trees, and a lot of muddy trail, but made the trip without much trouble. No ice to be seen on any of the lakes. Some snow on east side of Divide Lake 1. Fishing pretty slow using spinners.

From Divide Lakes over Notch, had the biggest snow traverse on the south side of the notch (about 40 ft, probably 3 ft thick) where the trail was buried. Surprisingly little snow on north side of the notch.

Trail past Lovenia, Ibantik, down to Meadow lake had a lot of muddy patches, and downed trees, but again, not bad. Not many snow patches on this stretch. Lakes were clear of ice and no snow on the banks. Again slow fishing.

Trail from Meadow to Bald Mountain TH was similar - Occasional snow patches, tree fall, and mud. Notch lake fishing slow again.

Mosquitoes were there throughout the hike, but not too bad. You will want to bring your favorite repellent, though.

All the lakes were very full and finding dry campsites due to snow melt took some time, but not too bad. Lots of tasty fresh snowmelt for water was everywhere.

We had perfect weather and had to deal with an uncomfortable sunburn on the arms and neck. Wore a sweatshirt in the evening and morning as it cooled down, but nothing more. Slept warm in a 40 degree bag, with warm socks.

As for the fishing, perhaps a more skilled fisherman would do better...

Stopped at Dick's Uinta Drive-in for the most awesome burgers in the world. At least after 4 days of backpacking.

This weekend I went from Spirit Lake into Island Lake of the Burnt Fork. There was a little snow lingering at Island, but not much - every meadow was a swamp. The bugs are AWFUL. The fishing is good and the trail was in decent, but swampy shape. Had a good time overall, just wish the bugs were not so bad - I think I came out of the hills a few quarts low.

Kamas Ranger District is reporting that the bridge has been restored at Elkhorn Crossing. No word on how dry the trail is past that though.

I'm planning on hiking highline trail east to west starting August 7th. Anyone been over Anderson, Red Knob, or Dead Horse passes lately? Particularly interested in Dead Horse, wonder if it's still a glacier, or if passable.

Anyone been over Anderson, Red Knob, or Dead Horse passes lately? Particularly interested in Dead Horse, wonder if it's still a glacier, or if passable.
    Even in an average snow year, an ice axe is recommended for Deadhorse Pass until late July or later. The other two passes should be fine even if there is snow.

but i haven't seen it myself. however, in amethyst last weekend, almost none of the north facing ridges had any snow on ostler peak... only the gullies. i highly doubt that mountaineering tools are required. maybe micro-spikes and a lightweight axe, but likely not tools

from amethyst - kings is farther east, but gives you an idea.
    Very surprsing photo. There is actually much less snow than in 1995. In 1995 over July 24th weekend, Amethyst was completely frozen over and everything had almost total snow cover. I would have thought that it would be similar this year.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

the furthest lake west, which i think is divide #2. i was just up there and no fish. the rest had lots and lots and lots and lots!

Quote Originally Posted by justo View Post
    the furthest lake west, which i think is divide #2. i was just up there and no fish. the rest had lots and lots and lots and lots!
    Sweet, good to know. Now I know which one to avoid when I am up there in a few weeks.

Were they mostly Brookies? Brooke trout have always tasted better to me than any other trout

Just got back from an overnighter in the Uintas. We started at the Crystal Lake TH, Hiked past Wall Lake, camped between the Twin Lakes, went up through the Notch and down to Ibantik Lake. The conditions were near perfect. Only a few spots where there was snow and snow on the trail, but nothing that stopped our trek. Pictures to come.