Thread: Deer Creek Lake- Great Western Trail- Chriss Lake Loop- Boulder Mountain- June 2011

Deer Creek Lake- Great Western Trail- Chriss Lake Loop- Boulder Mountain- June 2011

I was so excited for this trip I had trouble sleeping the night before we left. I did a small section of this loop last year, and have wanted to return to do the full loop, and this time we did. I have not been alpine above 8,000 ft, minus snowboarding since last October. So needless to say, I was amped all the way to Hwy 12. We left about 6 pm on Thurs the 2nd of June to head south for our first alpine backpacking trip of the season. On this trip we had Chris, Collin, Mike, David, Muskie, Robbie, Laura Hadar (Pro Snowboarder for Capita) and 5 dogs. We arrived about 11 pm to Deer Creek Trail Head to set up a base camp for the night so we could get up Friday and pack it in. This was an amazing spot to camp, a few adult beverages, a fire, and then we all crashed out. Woke up to sunny skies and warm but mild temps.

DAY 1
    We woke up and had breakfast, then broke camp. After setting our return shuttle at the Chriss Lake Trail Head, we headed in the Deer Creek Lake Trail. It is a series of climbs, which just seem to go up and up. There was a lot of snow this year up there, so the trail in sections was muddy and running with water. After a nice walk in the cool breeze, we eventually ended up at the junction with the Great Western Trail. This is a lovely area, which I made a pit stop just to soak it all in. After some pics we moved on. We climbed into a thick pine forest, with some drifts of snow to cross. The whole trail was pretty much melted off, but you did have to climb the occasional pile of snow. On our way to the Deer Creek Lake junction, we ran into a pond with a whole chorus of frogs just singing away. We arrive at the Deer Creek Lake junction, and we see this huge ice fall that was getting uplift winds which were coating the trees at the top of the plateau with a nice frosting. A nice walk in a pretty sweet mountain meadow and we arrive at Deer Creek Lake. This lake is huge, and seems like it just released its winter hold here. I got to pitch for the first time my new solo tent. I got the Big Agnes Seedhouse SL1, and let me tell you it is super light, but so roomy. 2.6 lbs with the footprint, and it is freestanding. How do they do that? There were still some pretty large drifts in the trees, but for the most part it was melted off. We set up shop and made a impromptu kitchen to cook on one of the drifts in camp, then proceeded to go fishing. Unfortunately, we found after walking around the lake, that there was a lot of winter kill, you could see fish on the bottom belly up. After a long hike all the way around the lake, we decided it was time for those beers we packed in and to get a fire going, because the temps were dropping fast. It was a cold night, with all the snow in camp, we for sure were bundled up and had a very nice fire.

DAY 2
    I awoke to the place just above frost temps, and we fired up some coffee and the sun came out and within an hour you needed short sleeves. I decided that we should head for Chriss Lake, it was a bit lower in elevation, meaning that there was less chance of winter kill, and the overnight temps were sure to be a bit milder. Everyone was moving a bit slow, so I headed out to hike the Great Western Trail to Chriss Lake by myself, as I would meet up with everyone later when they made the trek over. It was awesome to be out there without a sound minus the breeze through the trees. It was much warmer this day, and I was just exploring the whole area to much delight. This was a treat for sure to just be on walkabout, and seeing some amazing things. I hit the Great Western Trail, then headed to Gresham Spring, took some photos and continued on. Then pushed through to West Deer Creek, which is the point at which you descend into Chriss Lake. This was a lovely section, and we were well below the snow line at this point, and the whole forest seemed to be just waking up from winter. I saw a huge Marmot run right across the trail in front of me, and a pretty decent size snake. Not a Rattler, just a Coach-whip or something similar. I finally, after a nice walk in the woods arrived at Chriss Lake. I decided to take a stroll around the lake. After a nice walk the crew eventually showed up and we all got shop pitched again and went fishing. Mike nailed a fish on his first cast, which was a good omen for our crew. They were for sure biting, and Chris got 3 nice ones for dinner. Evening set in and we had a fire and watched the Milky Way pop into view. A long night out, and we all went to bed.

DAY 3
    I woke up to the sun just blazing over the ridge. I brewed my coffee and decided I wanted to hit it early, since the light was so good, and shoot photos on the way down to the car. It was an amazing hike out. Trees were just getting their leaves and it was the largest gathering of Daisy's I have ever seen. I just wandered for who knows how long, I was just so stoked to be in shorts, in my new Vasque Wasatch boots with a pack on not tied to anywhere. Eventually my blissful stroll came to an end when I got to the Chriss Lake Trail Head. The crew made it out about an hour after I did and we had celebratory Cutthroats for having such a kick ass weekend. I tell you I have missed the alpine so much, this was a great trip, for sure stoked and cannot wait to get out again.
    Last edited by Dr. Nebz; 12-23-2011 at 04:09 PM. Reason: Leaving

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Sounds like a great trip, thanks for sharing the beautiful pix!

Quote Originally Posted by jdgibney View Post
    Sounds like a great trip, thanks for sharing the beautiful pix!
    Thanks! I could have spent a couple of more days out there for sure. So nice to have good weather, warm temps and the mountains. Can't wait to get out there again!

Awesome report! Well written and great pix. It does look moist up there still.

Quote Originally Posted by accadacca View Post
    Awesome report! Well written and great pix. It does look moist up there still.
    Thanks! I had a ton of fun shooting photos this past weekend.

It wasn't too bad as far as being wet up there, soggy in a few places, but a lot drier than I expected it to be. Still holding some patches of snow above 10,000 ft, but below that it is pretty much gone and the trails are dry.

What kind/size of fish were you getting into? Got any close-ups? I've been studying the maps down there and I'm beginning to think that Boulder Mtn is not an ideal backpacking location unless the focus is almost entirely on getting into those trophy brook trout. Seems like there's a road intersecting about every trail, I don't think I've found a lake that's more than 3 miles from some 4WD or ATV access point. Still very tempting this time of year though.

Quote Originally Posted by ibenick View Post
    What kind/size of fish were you getting into? Got any close-ups? I've been studying the maps down there and I'm beginning to think that Boulder Mtn is not an ideal backpacking location unless the focus is almost entirely on getting into those trophy brook trout. Seems like there's a road intersecting about every trail, I don't think I've found a lake that's more than 3 miles from some 4WD or ATV access point. Still very tempting this time of year though.
    The section we were on is foot travel and horse back only. There is no ATV access in the area we were in, and it is still in very primitive condition. The Great Western Trail is a National Trail, meaning no motorized access. I am pretty sure since there were no foot tracks in any of the snow sections we crossed that we were for sure the first backpackers to Deer Creek Lake this year. We only saw two day hikers at Chriss Lake on Sat, which were the only human beings that we saw, minus our crew, after leaving Torrey Thur Night until we hit the Subway in Torrey on Sunday. We had the whole place to ourselves all weekend. Which is why we planned the week after a holiday to travel. Chris nailed in the range of 13"-15" Cuttys from the West Deer Creek and Chriss Lake. He said he missed one that was much larger than that in Chriss Lake. We also saw some pretty decent sized Brookies in the creek, but they were very sketched by seeing us and would just bolt as soon as you got to where you could see them. I did not shoot them any closer because Chris was in a hurry to cook them up because he was wading the creek in his pants and sandals and I think he was cold. The water was very cold, but good for the fish. It was awesome to get that alpine style trip in like I get in the Uinta's this early since there is still over 100" of snow out there on Hwy 150. We are currently looking into some other ranges we saw on the drive home that are ready for an upcoming adventure here in two weeks. Lakes that are aerial stocked and you have to backpack to get in these areas.

I think the crew is ready for the season. I know this trip got me planning another one as we speak.

To quote Chris's text he sent me tonight "Thanks for the best kick off to the backpacking season ever."

I for sure agree. It was good times!

I guess while I was at dinner tonight KSL featured my West Deer Creek photo from Boulder Mountain on the pm news cast. Pretty cool since I had so much fun shooting this weekend. This trip was for sure so much fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Nebz View Post
    I guess while I was at dinner tonight KSL featured my West Deer Creek photo from Boulder Mountain on the pm news cast. Pretty cool since I had so much fun shooting this weekend. This trip was for sure so much fun.
    Sweet!

Just talked to the rangers down there yesterday. Looks like the DWR will be aerial stocking the area in the coming weeks since the ice is off most of the lakes up there. I guess they had a bit of winter kill from the unusual cold winter down there. We did not get a thing at Deer Creek Lake, Chris Lake was good fishing though. Still was nice to be camping alpine again. May have to loop another section down there. Place is just awesome!

Bumping this since it is getting drowned by the TR contest this month.