Thread: Riverrat, rapalahunter, and LOAH Stream Fishing

Riverrat, rapalahunter, and LOAH Stream Fishing

Today's plans were originally to wreak havoc on some big brookies in small ponds, but due to a road closure, some improvising was in order.

Riverrat77, rapalahunter, & I met up in the wee hours of the morning and set off for a day of fishing adventure. About three hours later, we arrived to find that our destination was unreachable, thanks to a locked gate with a sign proclaiming the road impassable. With plenty of other water around, we timidly explored our options for "plan B".

We were within minutes of a creek that I'd heard good things about and decided to check its condition. After scouting the area and casting into a few runs, it was evident by the two tiny planter rainbows I caught, that we wouldn't be able to satisfy our appetites for a trout fix there.

We moved on, frantically shuffling our minds through the long list of nearby waters. We needed a good back up plan and a sign on the side of the road made it clear, where today's excursion would lead.

A short drive up a dirt road and through a gate (an open gate!) led us to a trailhead, where we bid adieu to the vehicle and started hiking with a twinkle in our eyes. We knew some basic information about this particular creek, but had no idea what kind of treat we were really in for.

A high mountain creek valley greeted us and we followed that through a short canyon and finally into a huge open meadow.

Our luck was rather poor at first, but thankfully Keala (rapalahunter) figured out something that the fish would bite.

Using a "Copper Pat" marabou jig, he latched onto a gorgeous Colorado River Cutthroat Trout with beaming coloration.

Not long after, it was Riley's (RR77) turn.

They both caught a couple more before I finally hooked into something with a firetiger Blue Fox, the first tiger trout of the trip. At about 16 inches, it was a welcome start to my catching for the day. Keala was able to get some video of the catch, but I didn't get any photos.

Things slowed down with the marabou jigging and we tried a few other methods, eventually getting action from brightly colored spinners and Lucky Craft pointers.

From there out, we kept following the creek into a grand meadow with a nice meander, all the while earning more catches in the very fishy holes throughout.

Amazing country!

We felt spoiled to be able to enjoy such a place on such a beautiful day.

Love the fish pose:

We had the entire valley to ourselves! Quite the accomplishment, we thought, since today was Utah's annual "Free Fishing Day", where fishing licenses are not required and the area is extremely popular. Lucky us!

Keala and I both got into some pretty good tigers too. Each of us scored a large male of almost 20 inches and over 2.5lbs. Such nice fish on a smaller creek made our day!

Beastly!

The last hole I caught any fish out of was the same as where I first caught fish. Surprisingly enough, I caught the same exact fish, this time with a different lure.

My last fish was the one that really sent me over the top. I was already excited by the big tiger, but a vividly colored cutthroat of decent size rolled on my lure as soon as it hit the water.

With that cutt out of the way, I was content with the day's events. Keala and Riley are good guys and we had a lot of fun sharing a marvelous day together in pristine trout country.

We returned to the truck with heads held high, ready to retire another great day of fishing in Utah. It was an excellent trip that we'd all love to repeat, I'm sure. Keala and Riley both have photos that they'll add when they can. Thanks guys I had a blast with you!

Happy Fishing, Humans.
    Lost On A Hill

Utah Water Log

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

You never cease to impress me with your outing Loah!!!!! Thanks for the report. Looks like a killer day!

those tigers are freakin' sweet! nicely done.