Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fine for exceeding group size in Zion Canyons

Fine for exceeding group size in Zion Canyons

Anybody knows what are the fines for exceeding the group size on your permit? I have a permit for 6 but we might end up being 7. I'd hate to tell the extra dude he can't go and we can't see to brake down in 2 teams. Wander if risking getting a fine is worth it
    This is for Spry canyon.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Bogley BigShot
    Just claim you don't know the guy.

Quote Originally Posted by ocanler View Post
    Anybody knows what are the fines for exceeding the group size on your permit? I have a permit for 6 but we might end up being 7. I'd hate to tell the extra dude he can't go and we can't see to brake down in 2 teams. Wander if risking getting a fine is worth it
    This is for Spry canyon.
    Super easy to poach spry, or so I've heard. On the exit you can clearly see the road and it's a popular canyon that will undoubtedly have others in it. Your only worries would be the start and finish at the roads. Just be stealthy, or at least that's what I've been told.....
    beefcake. BEEFCAKE!

Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar
    the extra person permit price is death by unga bunga

Blog Entries
    It's not like we would ever condone poaching or abusing the permit system...lol

But, I have heard of people getting two permits in your scenario and just "happen to meet up".
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

Why don't you call the Backcountry desk and ask them?
    Some people "go" through life and other people "grow" through life. -Robert Holden

Quote Originally Posted by trackrunner View Post
    the extra person permit price is death by unga bunga
    Cool, so they don't just taser you in the backcountry. I think there is a valid argument to be made for an exemption for large families with local zip codes but I get that my opinion doesn't mean anything.

Ken

I would go with what Tanya said...
    If you are wondering what my wife and I are doing in my Avatar... we are laughing at all you funny looking Bogleyites!

Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar
    people have been caught & ticketed having two permits and meeting up.

http://www.bogley.com/forum/showthre...tem-Experience

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by trackrunner View Post
    people have been caught & ticketed having two permits and meeting up.

http://www.bogley.com/forum/showthre...tem-Experience
    I was once in group many years ago who met up with our other group, and two rangers asked us for our permit in the Subway, and they didn't care. Guess it depends on the ranger you come across that day?
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

Bogley BigShot
    Quote Originally Posted by tylerhirshfeld View Post
    I would go with what Tanya said...

You know OC.... 7 is a big group for that canyon. You would probably have much more fun and move faster is you were in 2 groups during the technical part anyway?

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    This is for Spry canyon.
    The ticketing officer has quite a bit of discretion, depending on how much lip you give him. CAN fine you up to 500$, is what i have heard. I highly recommend not lying to the officer in any way. This is a MUCH greater offense and they take it quite seriously. It is also possible for the officer to ticket EVERY PERSON in your group. If you contest it and go before the magistrate in St George, my understanding is the magistrate can go as high as $ 1000.00, and 90 days in jail.

As much as I find the permit somewhat ridiculous, I recommend staying within the confines of the permit system.

Incidentally, (HI BRAD), since the Park monitors this channel you may not want to broadcast when you are about to break the law... Premeditation, if known, would bump you up into a higher category of culpability.

'jes sayin'

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia View Post
    Incidentally, (HI BRAD), since the Park monitors this channel you may not want to broadcast when you are about to break the law... Premeditation, if known, would bump you up into a higher category of culpability.
    WHAT!? Can we scramble the signal?

Group Size

Thanks for the info. Not worth it it seems like. We'll cross Spry off our list.

BRAD

Thanks for the info. Not worth it it seems like. We'll cross Spry off our list.

BRAD
    Probably wise, but I'd recommend getting back there eventually. I haven't hit that canyon yet, but it looks awesome!
    --Cliff

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia View Post

Incidentally, (HI BRAD), since the Park monitors this channel you may not want to broadcast when you are about to break the law...
    'jes sayin'

Tom
    Dear Brad,

Would you please open the Subway soon?

Sincerely, Your NP paying Patrons.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

Our 2 groups of 12 with separate permits meeting up in Keyhole cost us $125.00 plus 3 years of online permit privileges revoked for the permit holder.

Quote Originally Posted by remoteman45 View Post
    Our 2 groups of 12 with separate permits meeting up in Keyhole cost us $125.00 plus 3 years of online permit privileges revoked for the permit holder.
    24 people fit in Keyhole!
    Some people "go" through life and other people "grow" through life. -Robert Holden

Quote Originally Posted by remoteman45 View Post
    That's why I seldom/never put permits in my name.

That and I don't care for the NPS to have the ability to track me, I'm not sure why but it bugs the crap outta me. I used to hate it when I'd show up at the permit window and they would know all about me, what car I drove, what canyons I had done, how often I did canyons. It felt like an invasion of my privacy and really bugged me.

One spring I got permits to head into the furnace about 6 times. On the last visit they asked me to come back into one of their offices where they accused me of guiding without a commercial permit. Now I just guide freely but use someone else's name on the permit.