Thread: Uinta Mountains

Uinta Mountains

So, I am pretty new to bogley and am just curious who knows where I can find an accurate place to get information on the Uinta Mountains. I have been fishing there for 2 years now and am getting impatient this year since we have had so much snow up there.

I guess what I am looking for are predictions when the Mirror Lake Highway will be open and when I will be able to start hitting some of the lower lakes. I am anxious to try out a couple of the new hikes that I have mapped out on Google Earth.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Welcome to bogley, you're definitely in the right place. If you use Google Earth a lot, I'm not sure how much you use the Earth view in Google Maps, but it comes in handy when we can embed google maps here on the forum.

You can get into the lower lakes now. Pretty much everything from 8000 foot elevation and lower is accessable. Rivers are running high and can be a challenge to cross. And many areas are muddy with the snow just recently having melted.

2011 is not going to be a normal year. So what ever time frame normally happened in past years. Probably will not happen this year. I used to put on an endurance horse race the 3rd weekend of June, So we were always up clearing trails for Memorial Day. This will be delayed a week or two this year. And we probably will have to reroute some trails that cross over the summits. As we will probably still have snow pack on the shady side.

Now that June is here, Temps will climb and the chances of adding more snow to the snow pack will change to rain that will help melt the snow pack. The snow will come off the mountain very quickly.

With a hard winter there is the possibility of more blow down on the trails, and with a late start, the Forest Service and other volunteers that clear trails will be behind schedule. So it may be mid July before some of the more remote trails get cleared. I know that I haven't even started to clear the trails that I normally do every year.

Awesome, Thanks to both of you. The lake that I am really anxious for is Ibantik Lake. Hopefully I can get to that one within the next couple weeks. Last year we had a blast and caught a couple Greyling at Marjorie lake so I am stuck on that area temporarily. Maybe this year I can find a lake with some Golden Trout :)
    Customizable Adult & Kids shirts, onesies, and More
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/CheaperThanShirt

Quote Originally Posted by Painted Horse View Post
    With a hard winter there is the possibility of more blow down on the trails, and with a late start, the Forest Service and other volunteers that clear trails will be behind schedule. So it may be mid July before some of the more remote trails get cleared. I know that I haven't even started to clear the trails that I normally do every year.
    Do you need help with trails? I am always looking for an excuse to get out.