Thread: A Little Help

A Little Help

Hope everyone is having a fantastic summer. I haven't posted for a long time. Wanted to ask the help of the canyoneering community. As summer approaches the southern utah canyons begin to see a lot more younger faces. Many of you may be involved in helping take out local Scout troops, Youth groups etc. I would like to give my Thanks for all of you who spend so much time helping shape these young people's futures. I know you take personal time to make it happen. This week Spidey and I were asked to introduce Rappelling to a group of Scouts. During our visit to the local slab we encountered a few other Scout groups. Spidey and I sat back and watched as Safety took a back seat. We watched a few leaders who were extremely unsure of themselves. Leaders who need a little more practice under their belts. When simple rules like--wearing a helmet or keeping a safe distance from a precarious edge or even proper gear are ignored or dismissed I get pretty nervous. Luckily Spidey stopped a young man (from one of these groups) whose harness was put on wrong and helped make it right. A serious accident was averted! Spidey took a few minutes and explained a few things to the leader in charge. I watched another Leader use his rappel device wrong and let go thinking he had locked off. Lucky for him the rope was wrapped so many times around the device that friction became his best friend. I walked over and showed him how to properly use his device.
    As many of you make your way to the canyons this year please keep an eye out. If you see someone doing something wrong stupid or unsafe PLEASE take a minute and interject your thoughts and knowledge. I know that Scout groups frustrate a few people but stop for a minute and think of who they are trying to help---the young people. By the way Scotty Card was there with his group and did the right thing--he was SAFE!!

Clark

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Visitors found this page by searching for:

Outdoor Forum