Thread: Avalanche in June?

Avalanche in June?

Hi Everyone,

My son and I are planning on going up Dry Creek in Alpine this Saturday. If things go well, we may try to summit Box Elder Peak.

It looks like there is still a lot of snow up there and we are taking snowshoes, but is there still a risk of avalanche? It seems like a funny question to be asking in June, but this has been a funny snow year.

We know the basics of staying out of the snow chutes, and avoiding cornices, but do avalanches occur this late in the year? It seems that the snow should be firmly settled in and homogeneous by now.

Thanks for your help.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I would be careful for sure. Make sure you have a beacon, shovel and probe and a partner who does as well and that knows how to use them. With all the heating that is going to go on in the coming days, wet slides are for sure a possibility. The Wasatch is done forecasting avalanches for the season. You need to have good snow evaluating skills if you want to avoid avalanches with all this late season snow we have in the range.

I think the Bridger Teton Avalanche Center in Jackson is still up and running ......could talk to them for some pointers

Quote Originally Posted by bobb169 View Post
    I think the Bridger Teton Avalanche Center in Jackson is still up and running ......could talk to them for some pointers
    They have a different snow pack issue in Jackson this year than the Wasatch does. They are not going to know the conditions for down here. I would not count on that information to be of much help here in the Wasatch.

Quote Originally Posted by Corey View Post

We know the basics of staying out of the snow chutes, and avoiding cornices, but do avalanches occur this late in the year? It seems that the snow should be firmly settled in and homogeneous by now.

Thanks for your help.
    Typically the snow pack will go through a wet slide cycle in the spring when all aspects around the compass rose heat up and cause water percolation through the snow pack. As a result, slopes on all aspects will wetslide and glide avalanches will finally give way, starting from the south and wrapping all the way around with of course north releasing last. Once this cycle occurs, everything is fairly stable. This has not happened yet in the wasatch. We have not had many nights without a refreeze to really get this going. You are correct that by now, in a typical year, this cycle has occurred and stabilized most slopes, but this is by far not a typical year.

I agree with Dr. Nebz, make sure you have the appropriate safety gear and know how to use it. The big rule for spring snow is get an early start and get off the slopes before things start heating up. If the snow starts getting really punchy, you have outstayed your welcome.

If someone feels that something I have said is incorrect, feel free to let me know. I am fairly a noob (2 seasons touring), but am Avy 1 certified

Thanks everyone for the reply. We are not experienced, nor have the equipment, for an avalanche, so we will stay off the summit slopes.

Quote Originally Posted by skiclimb3287 View Post
    Typically the snow pack will go through a wet slide cycle in the spring when all aspects around the compass rose heat up and cause water percolation through the snow pack. As a result, slopes on all aspects will wetslide and glide avalanches will finally give way, starting from the south and wrapping all the way around with of course north releasing last. Once this cycle occurs, everything is fairly stable. This has not happened yet in the wasatch. We have not had many nights without a refreeze to really get this going. You are correct that by now, in a typical year, this cycle has occurred and stabilized most slopes, but this is by far not a typical year.

I agree with Dr. Nebz, make sure you have the appropriate safety gear and know how to use it. The big rule for spring snow is get an early start and get off the slopes before things start heating up. If the snow starts getting really punchy, you have outstayed your welcome.

If someone feels that something I have said is incorrect, feel free to let me know. I am fairly a noob (2 seasons touring), but am Avy 1 certified
    ^^^Could not have said it better myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Nebz View Post
    They have a different snow pack issue in Jackson this year than the Wasatch does. They are not going to know the conditions for down here. I would not count on that information to be of much help here in the Wasatch.
    Pointers, not the snowpack I know its different, thats why there is a avalanche center there and here...................more of info on avalanches and preparations. Sounded like the poster was looking to find info about avalanches and conditions.....were else better to go thean the people that are forcasting them. Years ago when I have talked to the ones in Wasatch they were extremely helpful.....I would assume they would be in Jasckson as well. Principles are the same.

Quote Originally Posted by skiclimb3287 View Post
    I agree with Dr. Nebz, make sure you have the appropriate safety gear and know how to use it.
    I'd guess I'd add that IMHO, "safety gear" doesn't really do much good if you get buried in a wet slide this time of year. Sure, have it, know how to use is, but, it won't save your life. Best bet is to avoid getting in one of these type of avalanches. They're pretty unsurvivable.

Quote Originally Posted by bobb169 View Post
    Pointers, not the snowpack I know its different, thats why there is a avalanche center there and here...................more of info on avalanches and preparations. Sounded like the poster was looking to find info about avalanches and conditions.....were else better to go thean the people that are forcasting them. Years ago when I have talked to the ones in Wasatch they were extremely helpful.....I would assume they would be in Jasckson as well. Principles are the same.
    Yep. Spring conditions. Conditions and advice pretty much the same. They had a huge snow year up there too. Normal climbing conditions in the higher peaks might not come around until August...