Thread: Black Hole (HD Video)

Black Hole (HD Video)

Shauna and I, joined forces with Marc Olivares last weekend to take our kids through the Black Hole. I've wanted to take my kids through for a long time, but getting the entire family together in one place is not always an easy thing with teenagers. The biggest obstacle was getting everyone equipped with nice warm well-fitting wet suits.

For those of you that have been following the GoPro thread, this was also the maiden canyoneering voyage of my new GoPro Hero camera. I had been playing with it for the past week around the house so I'd have things dialed in when we hit the slot.

As for conditions the Black Hole is currently completely filled with water and has lots of swimming. Now enjoy the show.

A route description is avaiable here:

Black Hole of White Canyon

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nothing is better than doing a canyon with your family. I've done explorations, first documented descents, X-rated canyons and none of that compares to hearing the laughter of your kids and seeing the smiles on their face as they discover a jewel like the Black Hole for the first time.

Here are a couple of my favorite pictures from the trip.

Name:  blackholeb01..jpg
Views: 335
Size:  120.4 KB

Name:  blackholeb02..jpg
Views: 341
Size:  106.7 KB

Name:  blackholeb03..jpg
Views: 345
Size:  94.3 KB

Looks like you guys had fun!
    Your safety is not my responsibility.

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    Very nice albeit long video.

Your camera control was very good and easy to watch.,

Quote Originally Posted by oldno7 View Post
    Very nice albeit long video.
    This edit of the video was really done to send to the grand parents... so you can understand the long.... But I was excited about how the video turned out so I thought I'd share. The grandpaents version also has a different sound track, which Youtube rejected, so I slapped this soundtrack on because I knew Youtube was OK with Guns-n-Roses.

Quote Originally Posted by oldno7 View Post
    Your camera control was very good and easy to watch.,
    Thanks, I used the GoPro headstrap and just turned on the camera. When I was filming I was careful to only look in one direction.

My editing software Cyberlink Power Director has a button you can click called "stablize", which also helps smooth out the video (The option is in the Magic Tools section). The more I use Power Director the more impressed I am with the program. Its cheap and extremely powerful.

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    Thats funny, because I was going to say a longer version might be good for participants or family, the rest of us lack attention span.

I'm with ya... when I watch other peoples canyoneering videos I like them to be under 5 minutes, preferably around 3 minutes with no ass shots from below the rappel.

FYI: The gnats were vicious at the lower trailhead, only a few tame ones at the upper trailhead, and none in the canyon once you dropped below the rim.

I like the floaty pool toy. No canyoneer should ever be without one!
    beefcake. BEEFCAKE!

Sweet video! The more I see of that canyon the more I want to get down there.
    --Cliff

That was the coolest Guns&Roses video Ive ever seen Great footage. Im going to have to buy a GoPro now Thanks
    Don`t be afraid your life will end be afraid it will never begin fear is the thief of all dreams...

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    The grandpaents version also has a different sound track, which Youtube rejected, so I slapped this soundtrack on because I knew Youtube was OK with Guns-n-Roses.
    I swapped a couple vids up to vimeo because of copyright problems. FYI it works sometimes.
    Your safety is not my responsibility.

Thanks, I used the GoPro headstrap and just turned on the camera. When I was filming I was careful to only look in one direction.

That certainly is one of the best Canyoneering videos I have seen done using a head strap. Most of them end up getting me sick because the person wearing it keeps looking everywhere. I bought the chest harness for mine, seems to keep things more center and steady, except you see my hand out the sides moving back and forth when walking.

Great Job Shane.
    Jared Hillhouse
    North Wash Outfitters LLP.
    Twitter: @North_Wash
    N.W.O. on Facebook
    "Great Adventure Buddies Make It Happen"

I think I've got the music dialed.... if you are going to use music check to see if the group is part of WMG "Warner Music Group", if they are pick anther song. WMG are Nazi's when it comes to adding music to youtube video. Find groups under the EMI label they are pretty good and allow use on things like youtube.

I'm also looking for a couple good independant groups that I like. Most those guys love you to use their songs for promotion.

Anyhoo... this whole movie making deal is a learn as you go type thing. Getting the video footage is actually the easy part, putting it all together is the hard part.

Getting the video footage is actually the easy part, putting it all together is the hard part.
    Great video!!!
    Some people "go" through life and other people "grow" through life. -Robert Holden