Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: [Help] KSL Photo Contest - Please Vote for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Walt Lacy View Post
    I was going to post some pictures of east canyon back behind church rock that I had submitted to KSL back in 2009, but apparently I am not allowed to post pictures yet.
    Just one more post and you're there. There's a 5 post minimum.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I wouldn't be upset about losing the photo contest to some of the pictures that have won in the past, honestly the 4 pictures selected for this month are not as spectacular as some past months. If you look at day 3 of this months KSL contest before Rob started his campaign, and before I had asked anyone to vote for my picture, the unsolicited(impartial) votes had me with a 53% plus lead while all the other photographs were under 16%.

I'm completely unbiased, as I know neither you nor Rob, and sadly I haven't voted at all yet on KSL since the new login policy (i haven't created an account yet)....

But -

I guess we could just say Rob is using his resources. KSL anticipates exactly what Rob is doing, campaigning, inviting, or even "spamming" everywhere he can to get those votes. Granted, I haven't read any of their contest rules, but I assume they don't have any restrictions on this type of campaigning for votes. Facebook is a huge method of begging for votes as well.

It's "selling" your photo really. If you've only asked family and friends for help, and then depended on the pure quality of your photo to get the rest of the votes, well, it is what it is. But in the first place if you depended on the sheer quality of your photo for all of the work, I guess you wouldn't have asked your friends for help either.

I hope you don't take my advice the wrong way, I think you've got a great photo. It's just all about using resources available to you to win this contest. Scroll down to the bottom of this page to read the "Similar Threads" titles and you'll see that bogley is a great resource for harvesting votes in these contests.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech View Post
    I think we all see your point, but the goal of KSL is to get people to the website. Otherwise they'd have experienced judges (or maybe 6 year olds) picking the prettiest photo and a winner would be declared. KSL expects each contestant to solicit everywhere they can, drive traffic to the contest page, and hopefully some of the voters will submit their own next month, chain reaction.

So the name of the game is purely who can use the resources available to get more votes. Even if my family member's photo sucked in comparison, if they solicited me to vote for them I still would. So that still wouldn't be voting for the best photo in the contest.

Hopefully you stick around here on bogley. In times past, it's proven to be a great resource for these kind of contests.

Of course the other reason for this contest is to pick pictures for the Calendar that will be sold as a fund raiser for Primary Children's Medical center. Better pictures == more sales == more money for PCMC.

I don't think you need experienced judges, most people know what looks good. As I stated earlier 3 days into the contest, I had not been soliciting votes, thus the 53% -16% lead I had was from impartial voters choosing which picture they thought was best.

I would understand losing the contest to a superior photo, but I don't believe Rob's photo is superior. I am not going to say my picture is perfect, I didn't really do much of anything to my picture believing that just like all the other pictures I have ever submitted to KSL it would not be selected.(I have submitted much better pictures in the past)

Here is the road to the East of Chuch Rock in East Canyon.

This is the shot looking north in East Canyon

Here is the shot looking south

I took these pictures back on New Years Eve 2008. I ended up walking several miles in the snow that evening.

Of course the other reason for this contest is to pick pictures for the Calendar that will be sold as a fund raiser for Primary Children's Medical center. Better pictures == more sales == more money for PCMC.
    I'll play Devil's Advocate again, please remember I'm unbiased in this.

But if the photos have already made it to the finals on KSL, I don't think certain pictures will play a part in how many calendars will be sold. The finalist photos have all pretty much "made the cut" for a certain level of quality.

Again, a factor that could contribute to sales of calendars is if a friend or family member's photo is published there, even though it would be a small percentage of total sales. Most people would buy the calendar regardless of the specific photos, just to support PCMC.

Bogley BigShot
    Oh no! Now we are voting for 2 people out of 3.

Both new members too.

Hmmmmmmm...... I think I will just go and vote for what picture I like best.

Okay guys. Post your best upclose photos of yourself and I will judge! I will vote the the hunkiest one.

I do like both of your photos the best, but I am not sure which I like better. I like that island, its pretty cool, but the other photo is bright and clear and eye catching. It's a coin toss for me.

Quote Originally Posted by tanya View Post

Hmmmmmmm...... I think I will just go and vote for what picture I like best.

If you hadn't already voted, you wouldn't have known that Rob had 42% as you posted earlier. But I do like the idea of voting for whichever picture you like best. It is after all a "Photo Contest"

Here is another picture that was taken at the same place as the one I submitted to KSL:

But usually I like to take pictures like this:

** all pictures taken with a $350 camera, Wish I could afford a nice camera.

Bogley BigShot
    Of course, but then I voted for you to even it up.

One one day, one the next.

I can give you each one more, since there is 5 total.

I just don't know either of you, but I am glad you joined Bogley.

Thanks to all the "Bogley's" for the votes and the "lively" conversation.
    I've been a lurker for too long and am looking forward to contributing more often to this great community.

Rob

Name:  May_KSL..jpg
Views: 95
Size:  61.9 KB