Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [Help] KSL Photo Contest - Please Vote for me.

[Help] KSL Photo Contest - Please Vote for me.

I've noticed others asking for votes here in the past so I thought I'd ask too....

I finally got picked as a finalist so I would really appreciate your vote.

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?sid=901157&nid=461

Thanks in advance!

Rob

Name:  ksl_vote..jpg
Views: 245
Size:  248.1 KB

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Rob, without knowing it was you, I voted for yours. It is great composition, and I love the color scheme as well. Very nice work! Hope you win! Good Luck!

Maybe put up a direct link to the contest and get that out on your facebook twitter email action! Let the people know!

Bump... Direct link added. Please vote.

Your catching Walt. Keep getting the word out!

I'm getting closer. At one point today we were tied... Please keep voting.

Rob

FYI, I have not been soliciting votes from anyone but family and friends. I thought this was a photo contest, not a contest to see who can solicit the most votes online. Not Cool!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Walt Lacy View Post
    FYI, I have not been soliciting votes from anyone but family and friends. I thought this was a photo contest, not a contest to see who can solicit the most votes online. Not Cool!!!
    Any 'contest' that involves online voting is largely a popularity contest. If KSL left it to judges who based the decision solely on photo quality then you'd have a true contest. The fact that they now require logging in to vote significantly reduces the advantage of social media but the fact is, if you're not rounding up the vote, then you're missing out on something that all of the other candidates are taking advantage of.

Quote Originally Posted by ibenick View Post
    Any 'contest' that involves online voting is largely a popularity contest. If KSL left it to judges who based the decision solely on photo quality then you'd have a true contest. The fact that they now require logging in to vote significantly reduces the advantage of social media but the fact is, if you're not rounding up the vote, then you're missing out on something that all of the other candidates are taking advantage of.
    At your suggestion I am asking that you vote for my picture to support my Walt needs an SLR camera fund. :-)

At your suggestion I am asking that you vote for my picture to support my Walt needs an SLR camera fund. :-)
    Honestly, you probably have a similar edge to get people on here to vote for you as Rob does. Rob might have lurked around in the past but he didn't post anything until this request. I think most people on forums like this who would be willing to go vote for a photo are going to do so because they consider that person a friend of sorts, even if they haven't met them, they know them from their posts and contributions to the forum. You both are pretty much new to us, add to that the fact that login is now required and it's going to be a pretty hard sell. I think the best photo will win on this one.

As ibenick has already pointed out, this is largely a popularity contest. There are no photography experts judging the entries and deciding who has the best composition, best exposure, best B&W ect. I was chosen by Photographers Forum last year as a finalist for the Best of College Photography 2010 publication that Serbin put out. And I got published. That was a real photography contest, picked by judges who have a Masters in Fine Arts. To be a top 50 finalist out of 13,000 photographs submitted from around the world was a true honor for me.

Really, the best thing for me winning the month of July in the 2011 KSL calender was the fact that the proceeds from the sale of these calenders goes to Primary Children's Medical Center, which helps families with children that are ill that cannot afford health care and are in need of having their child treated. I think that this was far more important for me in winning that contest than having my photo published. My art went to help children. And the 2011 calender sold out, first one in the history of this contest. This means that a lot of money was donated to PCMC which will help out a lot of kids. Whoever wins this month, I hope you see it the same that your image will be part of something that will be good for our community, not just being about prizes and recognition.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Nebz View Post
    Really, the best thing for me winning the month of July in the 2011 KSL calender was the fact that the proceeds from the sale of these calenders goes to Primary Children's Medical Center, which helps families with children that are ill that cannot afford health care and are in need of having their child treated. I think that this was far more important for me in winning that contest than having my photo published. My art went to help children. And the 2011 calender sold out, first one in the history of this contest. This means that a lot of money was donated to PCMC which will help out a lot of kids. Whoever wins this month, I hope you see it the same that your image will be part of something that will be good for our community, not just being about prizes and recognition.
    Screw all that. I just wanted the KSL mouse pad.

Quote Originally Posted by ibenick View Post
    Screw all that. I just wanted the KSL mouse pad.
    WTF? You got a mouse pad? All I got was a lousy notepad w/ pen and t-shirt. Now I feel jipped.

I agree that this is a great cause. I spent 4 years working for Primary Children's Hospital, it is a great place. I would still be there had I not decided to move back home to southeastern Utah.

Bogley BigShot
    Done! You are way ahead at 42%

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Nebz View Post
    WTF? You got a mouse pad? All I got was a lousy notepad w/ pen and t-shirt. Now I feel jipped.
    You didn't even get the KSL chapstick!? WTF?! Here's the real prize from my schwag pack... the aluminum desk calculator. Awwww yeah.

Name:  calc..jpg
Views: 168
Size:  61.1 KB

I kinda figured KSL would give out copies of the Book of Mormon.

I think we all see your point, but the goal of KSL is to get people to the website. Otherwise they'd have experienced judges (or maybe 6 year olds) picking the prettiest photo and a winner would be declared. KSL expects each contestant to solicit everywhere they can, drive traffic to the contest page, and hopefully some of the voters will submit their own next month, chain reaction.

So the name of the game is purely who can use the resources available to get more votes. Even if my family member's photo sucked in comparison, if they solicited me to vote for them I still would. So that still wouldn't be voting for the best photo in the contest.

Hopefully you stick around here on bogley. In times past, it's proven to be a great resource for these kind of contests.

Isn't this forum about outdoor recreation, trails, etc? I would wager that not many on this forum are familiar with the area in which my picture was taken.

But I just have to say this, I have driven past church rock at least a hundred times, and there is no way around it, Rob's picture was taken right next to the highway.

I was going to post some pictures of east canyon back behind church rock that I had submitted to KSL back in 2009, but apparently I am not allowed to post pictures yet.

I wouldn't be upset about losing the photo contest to some of the pictures that have won in the past, honestly the 4 pictures selected for this month are not as spectacular as some past months. If you look at day 3 of this months KSL contest before Rob started his campaign, and before I had asked anyone to vote for my picture, the unsolicited(impartial) votes had me with a 53% plus lead while all the other photographs were under 16%.

And who exactly is "Osbert Kootie" who submitted Rob's picture?