Thread: Dominguez Canyon - sacred site

Dominguez Canyon - sacred site

Ok, so it it isn't "Sacred". But I have a few places stashed around the Colorado Plateau that I consider pretty important, and my all time favorite is in Dominguez Canyon. And the trail head is only 2 hours drive from my house.
    I left my house in Carbondale about 1pm, made it to I-70, trying to hear the stereo (only 1 speaker is working) over the transmission whine. Great drive though, following the Colorado River below the Roan Plateau and Grand Mesa. Then I got that great station @ Mesa State, a gem among the stations in this area, playing SHAFT! Shut your mouth!.........then I'm at Clifton. Great off ramp at Clifton (old hwy 6), 55mph until you hit the strip malls, which is nearly instantaneously. The local officials for some reason want you through their little town as quick as possible. A refreshing change. Actually Clifton has some nice areas if you can break your way through the concrete barriers and asphalt parking lots. Left onto 141 and then to Hwy 50 towards Delta. Bridgeport road Is tough to see at 65mph, so you kind of have to know where it is. About 4 miles down this road I am at the trail head on Gunnison River. WTF! Not a parking space to be had, and I am screwed. I have been here on a Wednesday before and had the place nearly to myself. This does not bode well. I ask some guy in a big van to move up a little and I am able to fit in, barely.
    It sounds nice being near the Gunnison, but it actually blows. I hate this part of the hike along the railroad tracks and creosote. But after a mile of this hell you arrive at the bridge:

ZC0D5535 by greg watts photography, on Flickr

ZC0D5537 by greg watts photography, on Flickr

Now things get a lot better. My convulsing and shaking has stopped, I think because I am not breathing creosote. The hike is now along the river for about 1/2 mile past all of the boater camp sites, tables and coolers of beer. Soon I am headed up the canyon, great day with puffy white clouds. Right before the confluence of the Big and Little Dominguez Canyons is this great place to stop and relax:

ZC0D5533 by greg watts photography, on Flickr

ZC0D5526 by greg watts photography, on Flickr

Heading up Big Dominguez Canyon I see a couple of people on horses coming towards me, we chat for a few seconds, long enough for them to tell me I am behind a group of about 15 teenagers, some school or church thing. I must have looked pretty shaken up at this point as she said for me not to worry, as there are lot's of places to camp. She was right. They were camped about 1/2 mile from where I thought I would be, in a broad wide place by the river. About 8 tents, frisbees, etc.

The place I had chosen to camp is hard to find. When I originally found the place, it had not been used in a long while, the fire pit had been used just a few times, not much charcoal. I have not been there in over a year, so it was time to pay a visit for a couple of days.

ZC0D5352 - Version 2 by greg watts photography, on Flickr

It is located about 100' above the creek, on a little point. It looks like a mini geological battle happened here, huge slabs of stone thrown up at different angles. And in the nook of one of these stone collisions is the camp site, protected by stone and ancient junipers. Just enough room for my tent, and is protected from the wind that is happening now.

ZC0D5499 by greg watts photography, on Flickr

So what's the plan man? No plan. The firewood we left a year ago is still there, which I will need later. What I really want to do is sit and relax, listen to the river, read and take photos.
    I decided this trip to try some night shots. My day job of photographing architecture is really 50% at night. So my idea of a relaxing evening usually does not include photography. So I thought I would give it a try. So be kind (I know, a familiar phrase).
    Getting a little darker, more clouds though.

ZC0D5470 by greg watts photography, on Flickr

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Awesome report. Love the pictures. I'll have to suffer with trip envy for a while. This is too far from my house for a quick getaway.

Thanks. I know I am spoiled: 6 hours house to camp site.

So, I decided to bring my 17mm for some evening shots, but I ended up keeping it on the whole time. As it only stopped down to f4, I thought I would start out at iso 1600. It looked too dark (but later i discovered the 1600 was correct) so I increased it to 3200. Not sure of the process the camera uses to get to 3200 though, it is beyond me.
    I am usually plastered or asleep at this point in a backpacking trip, so around 10pm I got the fire right, but the dam thing insisted on burning and going out, plus the wind, this is hard work! Too many variables: Grand Junction, or the lights created by it, the friggin clouds, and the fact I don't know what i am doing. Now I am a little wiser and am ready for the next trip. Shots from both nights:

ZC0D5483 (1) by g n watts, on Flickr

DOMINGUEZ CANYON 6 by g n watts, on Flickr

ZC0D5307 by g n watts, on Flickr

ZC0D5319 by g n watts, on Flickr

ZC0D5313 by g n watts, on Flickr

ZC0D5342 by g n watts, on Flickr

5. Likes oldno7 liked this post
    Nice. That looks like a really cool place to explore. Great photos too.

So the clouds moved in and I went to bed, or bag I guess. I went to bag.

The next day I decided to visit a 40' water fall about a mile above my camp. It is a much more beautiful waterfall than the famous one down canyon IMO.

ZC0D5399 by greg watts photography, on Flickr

ZC0D5392 by greg watts photography, on Flickr

ZC0D5371 by greg watts photography, on Flickr

ZC0D5407 by g n watts, on Flickr

ZC0D5412 by g n watts, on Flick

As expected, the waterfall was going off full blast. At this flow the water bounces off the wall 2 times before it reaches the pool 40' below. In the middle of summer, it is a warm bucolic place. Now it was different.
    Back at my camp, more reading and photographing.

ZC0D5454 - Version 2 by g n watts, on Flickr

ZC0D5450 by g n watts, on Flickr

ZC0D5446 by g n watts, on Flickr

ZC0D5516 by greg watts photography, on Flickr

So, all in all, I did not really see anyone after I set up camp. As expected, I guess.

Excellent report. I love the night shots.

Nice area! Love the B&W photography!

nice TR and only a couple hrs from home to your campsite... Haven't been there in yrs though !

12. Likes oldno7 liked this post
    Sweet TR! Looks like a place I'd like to check out!
    --Cliff

Pretty good TR and fabulous pics!!
    I love the night and BW shots too.

That is just soooo cool. Great photos. Glad you were willing to share your "self-education."
    [img]C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents\iFolder\lstephens\Home\My Pictures[/img]

Awesome. Would love to see those excellent pics a little bigger though.

Thanks everyone.

My export settings were screwed up, the files were supposed to be 1024.

Made some of them a little bigger. Thanks Nick.