Thread: Jeep Grand Cherokee Reliability

Jeep Grand Cherokee Reliability

Hi off road section!

I just have a quick question for you guys/gals here.

I currently have a Dodge Durango (4x4 v8 5.9) but it's on its last leg. So, I need a new car and have wanted a Jeep again ever since I sold my CJ5.

So my question to you guys... is how reliable are Grand Cherokees when their mileage gets above 110,000? Obviously looking for used, and I "need" my V8. Haha.

Also, any other info you could tell me about those, would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

http://www.nagca.com/

do some searching on there and I am sure you will find more information than you ever wanted..

I would say that any vehicle can be reliable with only 110k as long as the previous owner took care of it properly.. unfortunately that rarely happens.
    Tacoma Said - If Scott he asks you to go on a hike, ask careful questions like "Is it going to be on a trail?" "What are the chances it will kill me?" etc. Maybe "Will there be sack-biting ants along the way?"

Depending on what year GC you are looking at, some of them had some electrical demons. My daughter has a 2000 and while its a 4.0 6cyl and it has never let her down, her brake light constantly goes out due to a bad design of how the bulbs are put in. Another friend has a V8 2004 and he's been chasing a short that causes the engine to shut off. It'll start again, but has left his sitting for a few hours sometimes. He's still trying to figure this one out. Search for problems with GC's and read about them, ask the owners the questions (hope they don't lie) My wife wants a GC and I'm trying to talk her out of it and to get a JK Unlimited. Good luck.

Transmissions possibly needing some attention, exhaust manifolds cracking, crank positioning sensor, vacuum lines dry rotting, injector(s) issues, etc. They have proven to be pretty dependable over the long haul. Anything will have their lemons and how the previous owner(s) have taken care of them, will dictate quite a bit. With the higher mileage, typical wear and tear...depending on past owners once again.