Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ~Candition.com~ "the wait is over"

~Candition.com~ "the wait is over"

Yes, I'm the one who has been building Candition.com and secretly getting people on board with it.

so what is Candition?

Candition.com is a place for the Canyoneering community to share beta on the current conditions of slot canyons

Candition's aim is to make it easier for canyonerers to find beta, and to connect Bogley, ACA, and the canyon's group to a central hub for canyon conditions..

so if you feel inclined make an account, and post your "canditions"

for the time being we'll be in the beta stages. We'll be adding tons of new features in the coming months.

big thanks go out to @jman, @tanya, @Bo_Beck

Cheers,
    Dave Johnson
    Candition.com | Canyon Conditions

<%@me = User.find_by_adventurer(params[:theking648])%>

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Blog Entries
    You are very welcome! Glad to help out! This makes the "conditions thread" obselete, BUT BUT BUT...much better on a 3rd party site, where those who hate us and Bogley, can post.

And just so everyone knows....Canditions is definitely NOT a forum. It's just a place to quickly see the conditions (if posted) on the slot canyon you are going to visit. If you have further questions about those CANdition....then post the questions here on Bogley, or the ACA forums, or Yahoo Canyons Group.
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

Bogley BigShot
    Someone hates us?

Great Job Dave!

Kudos to the helpers too!

Blog Entries
    I got a big database to input...it will take another day or two.
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

Bogley BigShot

not bad for opening weekend when everyone is gone, 63 visits, 253 page views, 25% bounce rate, and 5 new members.

so for my 4 ipad and iphone viewers... did the page render correctly?

for everyone else.... what would you change? anything that bugs you? anything you want to see?

thanks for your support,
    Dave.

This seems like a good idea. It's concise and easy to navigate. I'll be coming back to it for sure. Let's all get on board

Quote Originally Posted by remoteman45 View Post
    This seems like a good idea. It's concise and easy to navigate. I'll be coming back to it for sure. Let's all get on board
    agreed. simple and straightforward. Easy navigation

How about a descriptor on what the 1-5 status means? As an example I see a recent status for Yankee doodle....

http://candition.com/canyons/140
    3 out of 5
    Date of Trip: May 19, 2011
    Canyon was very dry. Shin high deepest water. Lot's of flies. no cold protection needed.

So if the canyon was "very dry" why did he not use a 1 or 2? Of course everyone has their own opinions on rating. So maybe a general chart with a general descriptions of what each rating means? What does a 3 even indicate?
    Your safety is not my responsibility.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Deathcricket View Post
    So maybe a general chart with a general descriptions of what each rating means? What does a 3 even indicate?
    A 3 is what I rated the canyon, as in how much pleasure/fun I got out of it, etc.

1-5 ratin doesn't reflect the conditions just what your experience was going through it with 1 being a waste of time and 5 being highly recommended. Of course it can be deceiving, because I love Kolob Canyon and people might mistake the 5 as being "easy" since it's recommended so highly and so fun. Kolob is definitely not easy. Lol.

Make sense?
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

"how it works" is a page I need to get up tonight before i leave

this is how i summed it up in an email this morning:

the 1 to 5 scale would be enjoyment I guess. 1. would be "terrible, what was I thinking, I should have gone to my in-laws instead". 5. would be "perfect, I wish I could go back again tomorrow"

so basically if you could give the conditions a rating what would it be?

we realize that people won't rate the same way but if enough people rate a canyon then we get a nice average.

Quote Originally Posted by jman View Post
    A 3 is what I rated the canyon, as in how much pleasure/fun I got out of it, etc.

1-5 ratin doesn't reflect the conditions just what your experience was going through it with 1 being a waste of time and 5 being highly recommended. Of course it can be deceiving, because I love Kolob Canyon and people might mistake the 5 as being "easy" since it's recommended so highly and so fun. Kolob is definitely not easy. Lol.

Make sense?

Oh lol, I though it was about canyon conditions, not really enjoyment level of the canyon. My mistake

So I thought dry would be like a 1, and then super flowing, gonna die, do not enter, would be a 5. I totally misunderstood it.

Quote Originally Posted by Deathcricket View Post
    Oh lol, I though it was about canyon conditions, not really enjoyment level of the canyon. My mistake

So I thought dry would be like a 1, and then super flowing, gonna die, do not enter, would be a 5. I totally misunderstood it.
    ya flip that around the other way. ratings are in there to make it less boring.. the real data comes from reading user posts.

Does the site allow external links? It would be handy for users to be able to post a link to their respective TR on Bogley. That way others could see pictures and video of the candition. Perhaps this field could be added to the input interface (not sure how the reports are entered). The site would then work together with Bogley. Perhaps other hooks/links/integrations could be added in the future on both ends?

Gotcha gotcha... How about a couple different ratings then? The two things I think about when I do a canyon are "how hot is it, am I gonna die?" and "how much water is in there, am I gonna die?" The over all rating if a canyon is cool or not doesn't change much based on any other factors right? So how about a 3 tiered rating system to make it easier to get info?

Overall, how much did I enjoy the canyon?
    Name:  tumblr_ks99oiWH0Y&#.png
Views: 770
Size:  4.4 KB

Then same thing with some water drops for water level and some suns for how hot it is out there. Try throwing that up today and see how it looks.

Just bustin your ballz man, see you on the ride today.

i would actually prefer to not get too many different ratings on there. Maybe a couple would be fine. the text of the "candition" should address water conditions but I don't want a whole bunch of other ratings myself. I like how simple it is with just the enjoymentometer and a space to write what things were like.

Nice work, thanks. Also, thanks for the definition of the rating.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by accadacca View Post
    Does the site allow external links? It would be handy for users to be able to post a link to their respective TR on Bogley. That way others could see pictures and video of the candition. Perhaps this field could be added to the input interface (not sure how the reports are entered). The site would then work together with Bogley. Perhaps other hooks/links/integrations could be added in the future on both ends?
    That's not a bad idea at all. That way you can integrate the sites together. And it would be almost a index of the TRs for that canyon. That would be neat, actually.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

all in due time... external links will be put in, an api will be built so you can embed the "candition" onto any website. the posting form will allow you to add a photo. a bug report/feature section will be added so that everyone can see what the status is of there suggestion... and keep in mind it's a beta... not as in canyon beta but as in software beta

I got a lot of tiny issues to work out first, I leave for 5 days tomorrow bad timing i know.

i'm moving as fast as i can see -->