Thread: Snow Pack in Wyoming and Canadian Rockies?

Snow Pack in Wyoming and Canadian Rockies?

This July would be the 20th anniversary of our annual sojourn to the North Cascade's. This year the snow pack is 300% of normal and the weather is still cold up there. Even if a heat wave comes through, we will likely face potholing below treeline, full time snow camping and raging river crossings. An easy solution would be to put the trip off to August this year, but work won't allow it. So we are contemplating alternatives....

Not sure the knee can hold up to the talus and 6,000 foot ascents, but the Canadian Rockies appeal. Big snow year up there?

Alternative 2 would be the Winds (10 days in the Cirque), a 1st time and brief stop over in the Tetons (Moran, maybe an east ridge on the Grand) and several Colorado classics.

What is the snow pack in these areas this year? Aaron and I have 23 days in July to dedicate to mid 5th class alpine climbing.
    Ram

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by RAM View Post
    Alternative 2 would be the Winds (10 days in the Cirque), a 1st time and brief stop over in the Tetons (Moran, maybe an east ridge on the Grand) and several Colorado classics.
    What is the snow pack in these areas this year? Aaron and I have 23 days in July to dedicate to mid 5th class alpine climbing.
    Rumor has the snowpack in the Tetons the biggest they've ever seen. Avalanche killed a couple skier in their camp a few weeks ago between the Meadows and the Platforms in Garnet Canyon.

If its anything like here, its HUGE.

It'll be very late July before its summer season in the Tetons, IMHO.

The Closest Snotel sites I can find are Gros Ventre Summit 8750 ft 296% above average and Big Sandy Opening at 9100 ft 333% of normal. Not looking good.

What about the Sierras?
    Some people "go" through life and other people "grow" through life. -Robert Holden

Big snow year in the Sierra too, is it not? Anyone know. Yeah a ton of high quality alpine to be had there too

Mammoth Mountain snow reports indicate 9.5 -17 ft of snow.

Looks like you will have to go some place warm. How about SoCal?

There is Cactus to Clouds: http://www.summitpost.org/cactus-to-clouds/155924 or Mt Baldy: http://www.summitpost.org/hps-peakba...t-baldy/170348 Both peaks still have snow.

Have you ever been to Joshua Tree climbing?
    Some people "go" through life and other people "grow" through life. -Robert Holden

The San Juan Mountains might be a possibility. Maybe the southern Sierra Nevada.

Of course the following may not indicate conditions of where you are going in the Cascades, but we were in the Cascades in July after the record breaking snowfall of 1999. Roads were snowed in to 3700 feet around Adams and even lower farther north. At a campground at 5000 feet, the only sign of the campground on July 11 was one outhouse roof which was barely sticking out of the snow. We had to climb Adams and around Hood since we were warned that Rainier and the North Cascades still had high avalanche danger.

On the plus side, postholing was not a problem since the snow was consolidated. River crossing were bridged with snow. It was actually a great time to be there and for nine days there wasn't a cloud in the sky until the day we left!

I would think that places like Mount Jefferson in the Cascades might be really good this July. Several of the routes there fall out of condition by mid-June, so maybe this year July will still be good.

There are several other jagged peaks in the area, but they are loose.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

Ram-

All of my family is still in Washington state... they tell me it's been a really wet year for them.

Of course, that doesn't mean the snow pack is still there, but from what they've said I'd guess that they have plenty of snow left still.

I am planning a trip to Big Piney the last week in June thru July 6th. I was originally hoping to hike Fremont, but that is not looking good; too much snow. I am trying to get more information on the Winds from friends, so I will let you know if I hear anything.

Big Sandy in the Winds was at 330% of normal snow pack, 10 days ago or so. We had hoped for 10 days in the Cirque of the Towers and another week in the Tetons, before finishing the last week of the trip in Colorado, after giving up on the North Cascade's this year. We have settled on the Sierra's. Going south to north, on the east side. Twenty three days including travel. Sixteen hour drive...Yuck! Above average snow pack, but it is hot and melting fast and it won't be anything like the Cascades in a normal year. Twentieth straight long July trip. Seventeen in the Cascade's, 2 in the Winds and now our first in the Sierra. High multi pitch alpine rock routes in the 13 to 14,000 foot range. Hitting the cardio and rock gym almost daily. Thanks to everyone for their research and suggestions
    Ram

Does anyone know what the current conditions (trails, climbs, etc.) are going into the Wind River wilderness area from the Big Sandy Opening?

The snotel data shows the Big Sandy Opening has been free of snow since late June. Who knows what the snow is like when you start getting higher, but the trailhead is definitely open and has been for a couple of weeks.

I was in the Big Horn Mountains last week. Snow patches started around 8800 feet, lots of snow at 9000 feet and around 9200+ it was full on snow fields. I'd assume the Winds are similar but it was hot and melting fast!

Planning a trip into the southern Winds in early August. Would appreciate any snow reports from Pyramid Lake, Hailey Pass, Baptiste Lake, Lizard Head trail and Cirque of the Towers.