Thread: Your favorite remote primitive camgpround(s)?

Your favorite remote primitive camgpround(s)?

My favorite is definitely Echo Park campground in Dinosaur National Monument. 2WD cars can usually make the 13-mile gravel road with little trouble...unless it rains!

Here's a link to some photos of Echo Park and other areas in Dinosaur...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/1215053...7625517626724/

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Echo Park is a good one for sure.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

ephemeral excursionist blueeyes's Avatar
    La Platta or our property in Duchesne county
    Chere'

Barker Reservoir, North Creek, Just west of Escalante.

Cool thread topic!

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Nebz View Post
    That does look like a nice area!

When is a good time to hit Barker?

Quote Originally Posted by mattl View Post
    When is a good time to hit Barker?
    We hit Barker as our base camp when we hit Boulder Mountain last year. We had been on the road for quite a while that day, and we just wanted to crash in a camp ground with no RV's and such. We got up there about 12:30 at night. North Creek road is graded in some sections, and total rally style in the upper sections. I would not take a passenger car that was not at least AWD (I.E. Subaru) because that road is not a smooth ride. And it is 15 miles from HWY 12 to Barker, so make sure you have everything you need and plenty of gas. I imagine getting stuck out there would not be a pleasant experience. No cell service last year up there either. We hit it the first weekend in June last year. Things were just starting to come to life down there. Snow was gone, but you could tell it was there like a couple of weeks earlier. Meadows just greening up, and the aspens just beginning to bud their leaves. I would call the Escalante District for the Dixie National Forest for current conditions up there. There were pit toilets, and bear boxes at the individual sites. Do keep a clean camp, bears will just be out of hibernation.

Here is my Trip Report from last year:

http://www.bogley.com/forum/showthre...rest-June-2010

I have a problem with primitive and campground in the same sentence (they just don't seem to go together for me).. but Toroweep Campground on the North Rim may just fit that bill and is a great place to go :)
    Tacoma Said - If Scott he asks you to go on a hike, ask careful questions like "Is it going to be on a trail?" "What are the chances it will kill me?" etc. Maybe "Will there be sack-biting ants along the way?"

Quote Originally Posted by DOSS View Post
    I have a problem with primitive and campground in the same sentence (they just don't seem to go together for me).. but Toroweep Campground on the North Rim may just fit that bill and is a great place to go :)
    I was wondering when someone was going to mention Toroweep. It is definitely on my wish list...but I need to get a 4wd first.
    I consider a campground primitive if it doesn't have electricity or flush toilets. My definition of remote would be more than 10 miles of gravel or dirt from the nearest paved road. Of course, paved roads sometimes lead to very remote campgrounds as well, like Dog Canyon campground in Guadalupe National Park, about 50 miles of lonely paved road to the nearest busy highway.

http://www.nps.gov/gumo/planyourvisi...d/parkmap1.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Nebz View Post
    i thought you were talking about this spot.

Quote Originally Posted by mattl View Post
    i thought you were talking about this spot.
    No, I was talking about this spot:

Barker Res Campground Escalante, Utah Click Here

I figured that out afterwards. escalante looks nice.

You really don't need a 4wd to get to Toroweep. It's mostly gravel road the last 3 miles are over boulders and rocks in the road and slow going, but no need for 4 wd. There is a steep step down in the campground if you turn left. There are many rocks right there to move to make the step more of a ramp. So if the only thing holding you back from Toroweep is lack of a 4wd don't let it. As a matter of fact the Ranger living there was in a small travel trailer and he pulled it back there himself. When I was there there were 2 minivans full of people from Germany on a day excursion.

Bogley BigShot
    Welcome to the group and thanks for the FB add Tango! Where do you live in Arizona?

I agree that you do not need a 4WD but a high clearance vehicle is nice to have. They was a big washed out area near the end of the road. It would have been entertaining to see the mini-van full of people drive through it. My guess is that big hole has been filled in making it even easier to drive there now.

US89 between Kanab/UT and Page/AZ:
    Stateline CG at House Rock Valley
    White House CG

...and many other CS in the nature.

Quote Originally Posted by zzyzx View Post
    US89 between Kanab/UT and Page/AZ:
    Stateline CG at House Rock Valley
    White House CG

...and many other CS in the nature.
    totally agree
    One of my favorites: Wedge Overlook campsite, heading to the area in almost to weeks