Thread: Time Bomb in Spry Canyon

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar

Time Bomb in Spry Canyon

Malia defused it, but here's the pictures:

Careful out there... crazy what some people do...

Tom
    Attached Images Attached Images    

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia View Post
    Malia defused it, but here's the pictures:

Careful out there... crazy what some people do...

Tom

so just to clarify... the problem is that someone tried to rappel of some piece of crappy... what is that, flat rope? and the "bomb" was diffused by installing some proper bolts with chains hanging down to a safe length, right? hehe. but yeah, double check and triple check every time!

Quote Originally Posted by ghawk View Post
    so just to clarify... the problem is that someone tried to rappel of some piece of crappy... what is that, flat rope? and the "bomb" was diffused by installing some proper bolts with chains hanging down to a safe length, right? hehe. but yeah, double check and triple check every time!
    I believe you obfuscated, actually, but...

For those following along at home: a knot without tails is a knot that is well on it's way to unknotting, that is, to become a piece of webbing without a knot, aka a rescue or body recovery. Check any knots on anchors you come to as they may not be knots for much longer.

T

How the heck do you tie a water knot with the ends so "perfectly clean". Mine always have several inches of wasted webbing sticking out of the knot.

Seriously though, do you think they tied it that way (or trimmed the ends) or has it slipped over time?

I had to look up obfuscated... i bow to your superior vocabulary Tom I would bet that whoever tied that knot was trying to be "economical" with their webbing and wasn't aware of the slipping factor or was dumb in some similar way.

I would bet that whoever tied that knot was trying to be "economical" with their webbing and wasn't aware of the slipping factor or was dumb in some similar way.
    Because we all know how expensive that webbing stuff is, well worth risking your life to save a couple inches of it.

I had to look up obfuscated... i bow to your superior vocabulary Tom I would bet that whoever tied that knot was trying to be "economical" with their webbing and wasn't aware of the slipping factor or was dumb in some similar way.
    Which means you knew "eschew"!

T

It almost looks like they cut them. Mabey to make them look prettier?
    The man thong is wrong.

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaxx View Post
    It almost looks like they cut them. Mabey to make them look prettier?
    Hey--you can't comment on technical threads, your not BSA certified..

Leaving 3-4" tails make a water knot easy for everyone to monitor during use cycles. Having no tail eliminates the chance of viewing the tails slipping until Tom's time bomb theory happens.

This test shows that a water knot loses on average 0.0035 inches of tail every time someone rappels on it:

http://www.xmission.com/~tmoyer/test...ot_Testing.pdf

Anyone willing to guess how many people could rappel on the Spry webbing before failure? Scary...

M

Quote Originally Posted by mdd View Post
    This test shows that a water knot loses on average 0.0035 inches of tail every time someone rappels on it:

Anyone willing to guess how many people could rappel on the Spry webbing before failure? Scary...

M
    good report I eschew any short tailed water knots!!

Quote Originally Posted by mdd View Post

M
    I like double fishermans knots for webbing. Solid. But not easy to get undone after being weighted, though that usually isn't a problem when you are leaving it at an anchor.

Give Malia a big Thank you! Do you know which rappel that was on?

it's the one after the long rap down into a narrow chamber from bolts on narrow ledge. The anchor is a boulder. It's a double rap... you rap into a pool then walk along the pool and continue rapping.

Yes it was downright scary.... I believe we fixed three anchors that day in Spry.

No I don't believe the knot was tied that way on purpose... we saw other tied webbing of the same color and those water knows were ok.