Thread: Coyote Gulch: May 19th-22nd

Coyote Gulch: May 19th-22nd

For the past three years, me and some friends get together for what we call Mancation. We have been planning this trip for a year and we were not disappointed. First off thanks to ibenick, don and many others whose trips reports I referenced in planning out this trip. Also thanks to Sombeech for the vids on how to include Picasa and Google Maps in this trip report.

There was me, Mark (Garbanzo), Tim, Jamey, Steve and Kyle on this trip. I have a tradition of sporting a mohawk and Garbanzo's wife was gracious enough to cut and die it for me and a few others. It rained nearly the entire drive from Clinton until we got to Escalante where snow was coming down. It clear up a little bit as we hit Hole in the Rock road. Be aware this road is washboards nearly 90% of the 30+ mile drive down to Fourty Mile Ridge road. We left one car at the trail head at the end of the road and started with the other car at the water tank.

We decided to come into Hurricane wash at the spring about 1 mile for the confluence with Coyote Gulch. We set up camp at the confluence. The weather was a better on Friday. We hiked at a leisurely pace and stopped whenever we wanted. It seemed that there was a seep about every mile and a couple of us collected water from them whenever we could. The water flow was clear in the stream up to about a mile away from the confluence with the Escalante River.

It seemed that the further we went on our trip the better it got. On day two we setup camp just past Coyote Natural Bridge then we hiked up to the Indian ruins and found the hidden pool (thanks to the coordinates that someone posted on this site...thanks) The pool appears to be fed by a seep. We did see some very small fish and also leeches in the water. There was a boulder next to the pool that appears that someone has cut in some steps. Garbanzo and I tried to make it up but were unsuccessful. Has anyone here attempted.

Day three we saw 75 degree temps, a beautiful day indeed. We found more seeps that we collected water from. The trip only got better with the alcoves and the four successive water falls. We got so caught up in the experience that we got near the end of Coyote Gulch and came up to the large boulders the block the path. I got excited and went across the sketchy path to the trail. My trip mates (for good reason) weren't comfortable crossing there so we continued up the trail to the point where we could take pictures of Stevens Arch.

We decided to head back down and make our final camp. During the entire trip we had been hearing a strange whistle type sound at night. As night fell we found out it was all of the frogs in the area that we camped in. Besides that, the only wildlife we saw were lizards. We did see deer and coyote tracks, but no sight of them.

Day 4 we made the ascent to the end point. It was a tough hike, but we would not have changed the way we took our trip. Garbanzo was the only one who could make it through Crack in the wall. He went up first, followed by me. We hauled all of the bags up first. We had a 30' rope and used a caribiner to bring the bags up. Next time I will bring 40' or 50' of rope as it was close even at the lowest point that we found to haul the bags up.

After we all got up and were blown away by the scenery, we took a bunch of pictures and headed to the cars. You can see the parking lot after a few minutes on the way back and there were a lot of cairns to mark the better direction to head.

Anytime I walk in sand I have the Men at Work song, Land Down under in my head (watch the video if you don't know). When we got to the van we blasted that song as a sign of completing our trip and had a great laugh over it. As we neared the end of the drive on Hole in the Rock road, our van had a flat. We followed Garbanzo to the first gas station in Escalante looking for a tire repair kit which they didn't have. It was Sunday so everything else was closed. We drove with the spare on hoping something in Boulder or Torrey was open. As we left Escalante we found the Sinclair station was open, had a tire repair kit and a compressor. We fixed the tire and headed to Torrey where we hit up Subway and headed back, arriving late last night.

This was an amazing trip and I plan on going down there to explore some more.

Viewing on a mobile device? Click this link to open the map: http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&ll=37.406846,-111.017876&spn=0.076224,0.154324&t=h&z=13&msid=215254169415131928066.0004a3f887623b8ffa441

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nice. One of these days I'll be able to head down there with you guys.

I'm jealous. Looked like a great time.

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech View Post
    Nice. One of these days I'll be able to head down there with you guys.
    You should, it was a blast. We have another trip over Labor day weekend to the Uintas. You available?

Quote Originally Posted by Mrbuzzsaw View Post
    I'm jealous. Looked like a great time.
    It was a great time. First time for all of us. Have you been down there before?

Awesome report and photos. A must visit destination for sure!

Awesome! I was not far from you for your entire trip. A friend and I drove down on Thursday afternoon and backpacked Fortymile Gulch and Willow Gulch, the next drainage down the road. We even drove out the same day.

That third campsite you stayed in is sweet, huh? Great view of Steven's Arch, pretty neat how the wall behind it stays lit for so long after the rest is in the shade in the evening. And we had the crazy loud frogs in that spot too, loudest I've ever had. I had the same thing over in Willow on Saturday night but not nearly as loud since we were way up in a high alcove.

Also good to see I'm not the only guy that can't fit through crack! As far as raising your packs, it's a lot easier if you do it between the two sections of the crack. The upper section is big enough to bring packs through so you can do it from lower opening a lot easier. I brought my standard 50 feet of paracord that I always bring and barely needed half of it. Doesn't seem like many do it this way though, there were a lot of rope marks on the upper ledge.

Nick, Looking at it now, I like your option better than how we did it. I plan on going down there next year for sure. More to explore. Next month, Death Hollow via the BMT.

Quote Originally Posted by accadacca View Post

Bogley BigShot

Here is a video @Garbanzo put together from out trip. Awesome!!!

Great trip report and a seriously kick butt vid! Who's the background music by?
    [COLOR=#800080][FONT=franklin gothic medium]"Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L

Quote Originally Posted by Tango View Post
    Great trip report and a seriously kick butt vid! Who's the background music by?
    Alter Bridge, Watch Over You is the song.

What a great hike. In 1984 or 85 I don't remember the year. I boated and camped under Steves Arch. That was the year the lake leval was 3708. I tied up just below the arch. I loved your photos from on top. Thanks for sharing

I would like to get back. I had the bright idea of taking my wife there on our honeymoon in 1981. In late June, 102 degrees. Bad Idea. Once we were in the canyon things got better. The only people we saw were a hippy couple with their new born, or close to it. The baby was sitting on top of mom's pack in a seat. Had a hell of a time getting my dog up and down the "ladder".
    Thanks for the TR.