Thread: Alpine Sliding Rock

Alpine Sliding Rock

Summer is almost here so time to let you guys in on a little secret, this place is a blast when its hot!

Alpine Sliding Rock Route Description

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Blog Entries
    Hey I've been there too - fun place with easy access.
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

I used to go there as a high schooler. It is on private land, isn't it? Any landowner issues? I'm overdue for a trip back there.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by adamsco View Post
    I used to go there as a high schooler. It is on private land, isn't it? Any landowner issues? I'm overdue for a trip back there.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk
    Not sure about the landowner issues but here's a map to it for anyone who is interested.

Quote Originally Posted by adamsco View Post
    Yes there are some private land owner issues. My route description details access that is currently open.

FWIW: Current maps of the area are inaccurate, some of the roads have been closed, some are gated and some have been bulldozed under.

Quote Originally Posted by ibenick View Post
    Not sure about the landowner issues but here's a map to it for anyone who is interested.
    Cool.

I'm curious why you don't park at the lot that looks like it's only 100 yards away?

EDIT - Iceaxe might have answered this for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech View Post
    I'm curious why you don't park at the lot that looks like it's only 100 yards away?
    Yup... the roads are no longer there, or you can't access them.

Its a really strange area... almost like walking through a ghost town. It looks like 10 or 20 years ago the area was developed for homes and was never finished. The roads, sewers, water and other infrastructure are all in place, but have been abandoned and fallen into disrepair.

The main road that used to access the area has been bulldozed under and a house and stable built over the top of the old road.

There is a mountian bike trail that uses some of the old roads in the area, but I've never figured out where that trailhead is or how to access it.

Man, I think it's been almost 20 years since I was last up there. We used to go all the time in high school. Used to ride my bike up from my parents house before I had a car. Even skinny-slid once (bad idea, don't try that). I remember it being fenced off for awhile too; land owner/use issues. Of course being high school kids we just hopped the fence and hiked up anyway.

I was messing around with some new software tonight and did a new edit of the original clip, I think its much better.

Hmmm... it would appear a moderator deleted the map I posted in this thread? Why on earth would a moderator delete something like a map?

you should have to pay for maps... duh!

Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar
    Hmmm... it would appear a moderator deleted the map I posted in this thread? Why on earth would a moderator delete something like a map?
    clearly the forum owners do not want trip reports to boost SEO & membership. there are also concerned about drawing too much people to places.