Thread: Trailhead Shuttle at Zion

Trailhead Shuttle at Zion

I am flying into Vegas this coming Saturday (5/28) and driving up to Zion NP. I am planning on doing the Zion Traverse from Lee's Pass into the main canyon.

I will be attempting to obtain walk up permits on the Saturday afternoon that I arrive, to begin the hike on Sunday morning (preferred). If this does not work out, I will obtain permits first thing Sunday morning to start my backcountry trip on that Monday morning (I'll kill time by driving to Bryce on Sunday).

My problem is with the shuttles. I want to call and reserve a shuttle to the trail head, but the shuttle services do not seem as though they are flexible for my variable starting date. Does anyone have any suggestions? Do I even have a chance at getting permits for a Sunday start on Saturday afternoon? Should I put my eggs in the permits for the Monday basket?

Am I already too late to reserve a shuttle for next weekend? If so, is there anyone on here that might be able to help out (I'll pay standard local shuttle fees for a 5 person group)? Finally, would it be easier to park my car at the trailhead, and get a shuttle back to my car upon my return? Thanks in advance!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Yama View Post
    I am flying into Vegas this coming Saturday (5/28) and driving up to Zion NP. I am planning on doing the Zion Traverse from Lee's Pass into the main canyon.

I will be attempting to obtain walk up permits on the Saturday afternoon that I arrive, to begin the hike on Sunday morning (preferred). If this does not work out, I will obtain permits first thing Sunday morning to start my backcountry trip on that Monday morning (I'll kill time by driving to Bryce on Sunday).

My problem is with the shuttles. I want to call and reserve a shuttle to the trail head, but the shuttle services do not seem as though they are flexible for my variable starting date. Does anyone have any suggestions? Do I even have a chance at getting permits for a Sunday start on Saturday afternoon? Should I put my eggs in the permits for the Monday basket?

Am I already too late to reserve a shuttle for next weekend? If so, is there anyone on here that might be able to help out (I'll pay standard local shuttle fees for a 5 person group)? Finally, would it be easier to park my car at the trailhead, and get a shuttle back to my car upon my return? Thanks in advance!
    There are many different ways to do this hike, so it is difficult to offer advice without more detail. It seems you plan on a several-day schedule.

Are you looking for a campsite in LaVerkin Creek? For Five people? If so, there are only a few sites large enough, and the sites that are listed on the Reservation System are all taken on the 29th. Perhaps you already discovered this. Your best bet to understand if there are other sites that are large enough and if you can get a permit for them are to call the Backcountry Desk. They cannot, of course, give you a reservation over the phone, but they can give you an idea of how good your chances are. Memorial Day Weekend is a big weekend in Zion, so I suspect your chances are not that good for a LaVerkin campsite permit.

I work for Zion Adventure Company in Springdale as a guide. We also do shuttles, but I am not involved in that. I hope you appreciate that scheduling a shuttle on a BIG weekend requires both a vehicle and a driver to be available in the timeframe you desire. Under normal conditions, there would be a lot more flexibility, but not on a BIG WEEKEND.

Therefore, I think your best bet is to plan on getting in line early on Sunday morning to get your campsite permit set for your trip starting Monday, then spend the day enjoying Bryce. AND schedule a shuttle to Lee Pass as soon as possible. With an early start on Monday, you could also go for campsites further along, such as Hop Valley or even the Wildcat Canyon dispersed area camping (which is rarely used, almost always available), but of course, that depends on how much mileage you can or want to make.

You are better off ending the hike at your car. Of course, if you are just kicking back the day after your hike, maybe it would be better to use the shuttle for a fetch. If you have five people, it would be cheaper too. And that would put the shuttle into the next week, when there might be more availability. The minimum people required to run a shuttle used to be 2 (or at least it is required to pay for 2 people), but I do not know the policy for a Lee Pass shuttle, since this is a not-too-popular route.

Tom

Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar
    I agree with Tom that this is a big weekend where for shuttles.

But I'd recommend you call this company and ask for Tyler. He may already be booked but if you are flexible you might be able to work something out. http://www.canyoncountryguides.com/

I really appreciate the advice folks. I think I am going to move forward with starting my hike on Monday after getting in line first thing Sunday (I wanted an excuse to see Bryce anways). This seems to be my safest bet. I will try a few shuttle services and try to arrange a drop off for early Monday, but if these are all booked I will look into arranging a drop off back at our starting trail head on Thursday afternoon when we plan to be getting back to Springdale.

Does this seem like reasonable plan with a likelihood of success?

I really appreciate the advice folks. I think I am going to move forward with starting my hike on Monday after getting in line first thing Sunday (I wanted an excuse to see Bryce anways). This seems to be my safest bet. I will try a few shuttle services and try to arrange a drop off for early Monday, but if these are all booked I will look into arranging a drop off back at our starting trail head on Thursday afternoon when we plan to be getting back to Springdale.

Does this seem like reasonable plan with a likelihood of success?
    Yes. However...

Using the shuttle to go fetch the car... I was thinking of situations where I had a campsite in Springdale to return to. I have also walked out the Narrows at 8 pm to arrive in Springdale with no assets on hand. No motel rooms available, too late to get a real meal, no place to stay. The bivy behind the Mean Bean was not so comfortable. The 6:30 am shuttle the next morning to get back to the car, sleeping bags and dry clothes at Lava Point seemed like a good idea at any cost!!!

So, be careful with that plan. Missing your appointed time for the shuttle could work poorly.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia View Post
    Yes. However...

Using the shuttle to go fetch the car... I was thinking of situations where I had a campsite in Springdale to return to. I have also walked out the Narrows at 8 pm to arrive in Springdale with no assets on hand. No motel rooms available, too late to get a real meal, no place to stay. The bivy behind the Mean Bean was not so comfortable. The 6:30 am shuttle the next morning to get back to the car, sleeping bags and dry clothes at Lava Point seemed like a good idea at any cost!!!

So, be careful with that plan. Missing your appointed time for the shuttle could work poorly.

Tom
    Tom,

Thanks again, I did think of that scenario and it is a concern. I'm hoping that my calls today will land me a shuttle for Monday morning. If not, I will try to leave plenty of time between the projected end of my hike and my arranged fetch time. If I can arrange to shuttle to the TH on Monday, do you know if Zion Adventure Company allows for parking cars with them during the duration of my trip for a fee? Does anyone/anywhere allow this type of service in Springdale??

Tom,

Thanks again, I did think of that scenario and it is a concern. I'm hoping that my calls today will land me a shuttle for Monday morning. If not, I will try to leave plenty of time between the projected end of my hike and my arranged fetch time. If I can arrange to shuttle to the TH on Monday, do you know if Zion Adventure Company allows for parking cars with them during the duration of my trip for a fee? Does anyone/anywhere allow this type of service in Springdale??
    Springdale allows free parking all over town. It is pretty darn safe (I don't lock my car, but you probably want to). Theres is a lot of town parking near the ZAC building so yes, there is plenty of free parking for when you are off on your trip.

ZAC 435-772-0990

Tom

Just scheduled my shuttle for Monday morning and I am officially excited for my trip! I really appreciate all the advice you guys provided. I'll be sure to post a TR when I return!

Just scheduled my shuttle for Monday morning and I am officially excited for my trip! I really appreciate all the advice you guys provided. I'll be sure to post a TR when I return!
    Cool, have a great trip Yama.