Thread: Zen Trail - Saint George area

Zen Trail - Saint George area

So I've only done Zen once and it was a long time ago, like at least a year ago with the bogley crew. I haven't been back because it was way over my skill level and I felt I needed to get some skillz before attempting it again. So yesterday it was Justin's pick and he says "Zen" and I'm thinking "Cool, this should be more enjoyable this time, I'm riding a carbon fiber instead of that old POS, I'm a little better technically, so this should rock". Naw, it's still way over my skill level, had to walk a lot of parts, and failed on several others. So Zen is still way outta my league.

Was an awesome day though, had a great ride with great friends (Justin, Bryce, Dave). Just getting spoiled with all these other kick ass trails we have around. Weather was little chilly for down here, around 60's so I put on the chilly weather stuff. What a day to forget my gloves though lol. We took the alternate exit out, which goes back up the hill and kicks your ass a 2nd time, instead of the dirt road. This section was actually my favorite part. Some really tough climbs, but actually doable for my skill level. Woot!

The Garmin stats aren't complete. I noticed near the top of the first hill I had it set to run mode and then when I changed it to "bike mode" it reset. I guess I could have left it in run since the only stat that would change is calories burned. And since I hit up the all you can eat sushi bar afterwards it kinda defeats the purpose, hehe.

Crits to my video of course always welcome, still trying to learn this and be half as good as Beech someday. :P Too long maybe? Tried a new view by mounting it on the back of my helmet. I got a couple cool wipeouts too at 2 mins and 4 mins in.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...52314&t=h&z=15
    Name:  ZenTrail..jpg
Views: 352
Size:  107.3 KBName:  GarminOutput-Zen..jpg
Views: 321
Size:  91.5 KB
    Your safety is not my responsibility.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Cool vid. I hate that climb.

Just curious, are the "saved" google maps not embedding for you?

What did you edit your video with? It should have come up at least 720p on the youtube option coming from GoPro.

bryce needs to learn how to crash right...

that was a rough day.
    Candition.com | Canyon Conditions

<%@me = User.find_by_adventurer(params[:theking648])%>

Cool vid, nice job! Yes, a little long, but not bad. 3:00 is standard and about all our ADD society can take.

At 2.20 it looks like the guy hit his rear derailur on the big rock. Nice video Jacob

Yeah, 3 minutes is my goal, although cutting footage is often too painful to make it that short. I've come to the realization that I can either cut valuable footage, or have most of my audience "walk away" from the video before it finishes because it's too long.

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech View Post
    Cool vid. I hate that climb.

Just curious, are the "saved" google maps not embedding for you?

What did you edit your video with? It should have come up at least 720p on the youtube option coming from GoPro.
    Yeah, but I like to mark/highlight the trail out and with my Wacom tablet it takes less than minute. My Garmin output doesn't include the topographical info. Pretty much all you see on that yellow page. Hard to tell what's going on. Hmm maybe there is a way to export the waypoints into google maps? If there is I'm all ears on how to do it. Just looks cleaner IMO if people aren't exactly sure where the trail is, this will be especially important when I do Barrel trail and green valley raceway combo again. There is so many crisscrossing paths.

I've been using Powerdirector and it has several settings I can export it out of but I've been setting it at 640x360. I could check but I think at the 720 setting the file would probably be around 700MB, so it's more of a choice whether I want to upload a 200mb file or 700mb to youtube. But like you said if I can get my vids a bit shorter to like 3 mins then 720 won't be so huge a file to upload. Do you guys like the 720 that much better? That's definitely something to consider for sure. Instead of upload these on my lunch break I'll just kick it off at night and if it takes a couple hours, no biggie.

Good input thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by REDFOX View Post
    At 2.20 it looks like the guy hit his rear derailur on the big rock. Nice video Jacob
    Yeah I think he did too. It still amazes me anytime anyone pulls that section off without crashing big time. Hehe.

Quote Originally Posted by Deathcricket View Post
    Do you guys like the 720 that much better?
    Oh yeah. Try shooing some footage outside on that mode (r3), like a minute or so. Then play it on your computer or HD TV. You'll be amazed at the clarity.

Do you have Windows 7? If so, Windows Live Movie Maker is all I use for editing GoPro footage. If you don't, maybe use something like Sony Vegas?

On your map software, there's usually a way to export as a gpx, kml, or kmz. Then you can import that through google maps, then use the "savedmaps" tag to embed it here. @Udink does this a bunch on his reports, although I'm not sure what method he uses.

Very cool video, try the rear seat post mount when looking behind may be a little less shaky, great job, looks like a great trail that I need to hit.

Two wheels are better than four, keep the rubber side down.

I rode that for the first time this March and it is awesome. Very technical. Cool video
    Still trying to get in riding shape.

Awesome! I like the guy that keeps wrecking, my type of rider!

Is there a master map of the St. George trails somewhere? I'm looking to make a trip up to hit a bunch of these trails.
    Thanks.
    beefcake. BEEFCAKE!

Quote Originally Posted by nelsonccc View Post
    Is there a master map of the St. George trails somewhere? I'm looking to make a trip up to hit a bunch of these trails.
    Thanks.
    Here is yet another one of my unfinished projects from a while ago. Just zoom in on the area. Most likely outdated, but I'd love to get something like this going.

Viewing on a mobile device? Click this link to open the map: http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&oe=UTF8&start=0&num=200&msa=0&msid=100749669156101003180.0004879ea0b86332f3c49&ll=39.571822,-111.467285&spn=4.43717,8.470459&t=h&z=7

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech View Post
    Here is yet another one of my unfinished projects from a while ago. Just zoom in on the area. Most likely outdated, but I'd love to get something like this going.
    Nice map! The only two you're missing in my area is Barrel trail (not to be confused with barrel roll) and Bearclaw poppy. I see you linked to utahmtbbiking so here is the link for that.
    http://www.utahmountainbiking.com/trails/barrel.htm