Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: rope

rope

What size rope is the standard for rappelling? I have some dynamic ropes that I climb with but ive been looking for a static rope for some canyons. The ropes ive found that are rappel specific are comparable to the climbing ropes in price. REI has some 8mm cord thats rated at 14kn, is this safe to rap on ?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar
    cord is not rope

I'd say the majority of canyoneers in the US use between 8mm (not noob friendly expert rigging only) to 9mm+ to 10mm.

Besides weight, any issues with using an 11mm static rope for canyoneering? REI carries the BlueWater brand static ropes in 150' lengths.

Quote Originally Posted by trackrunner View Post
    cord is not rope
    For sure.

...dang, Im gettin good with these smiley face dooders!

Anywho, I think a good diameter for a starter canyon rope is a 9mm. It'll last forever if you take care of it, and isn't so bulky you don't want to carry it...IMDACO

-Brejcha and Bud Light

Quote Originally Posted by manuscriptsdon'tburn View Post
    Besides weight, any issues with using an 11mm static rope for canyoneering? REI carries the BlueWater brand static ropes in 150' lengths.
    If you are going to buy a new rope for canyoneering buy an Imlay Canyon Rope.

Lots of beniefits of buying Tom's ropes. You get a rope designed for canyoneering, You get a rope designed by a competent canyoneer that actually does the canyons. You support the local canyoneering industry. Tom will help you choose the right rope for your needs. Tom's ropes are a great value, you will not find a bigger bang for your buck.

And that's pretty much everything you need to know about canyoneering ropes.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post

Lots of beniefits of buying Tom's ropes. You get a rope designed for canyoneering, You get a rope designed by a competent canyoneer that actually does the canyons. You support the local canyoneering industry. Tom will help you choose the right rope for your needs. Tom's ropes are a great value, you will not find a big bang for your buck.

Thanks Mr. Axe. I certainly like to support the locals!

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar

Lots of benefits to buying Tom's ropes. You get a rope designed for canyoneering, You get a rope designed by a competent canyoneer that actually does the canyons. You support the local canyoneering industry. Tom will help you choose the right rope for your needs. Tom's ropes are a great value, you will not find a big bang for your buck.

Thanks Shane.

More info here: http://www.imlaycanyongear.com/ropes.php

Tom

Agree with Shane. Tom's ropes are top notch. I know, I own several.... I even use an old one to rope off on my roof to put up Christmas lights. Very handy!
    Life is Good

I've really liked the Canyon C-IV rope from Sterling Rope. It's 9mm but very light weight at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Card View Post
    Agree with Shane. Tom's ropes are top notch. I know, I own several.... I even use an old one to rope off on my roof to put up Christmas lights. Very handy!

I thought I was the only one who did this.

I think Tom's ropes are the only way to go. They may not be as supple as some of the Bluewater ropes, but they are durable, economical, light, and don't suck up pounds of water.

Quote Originally Posted by tcott View Post
    I've really liked the Canyon C-IV rope from Sterling Rope. It's 9mm but very light weight at the same time.
    $228.00 for 200' of Sterling Rope Canyon C-IV rope.
    $160.00 for 200' of Imlay Canyon Fire rope.

Quote Originally Posted by hike2kolob View Post
    I think Tom's ropes are the only way to go. They may not be as supple as some of the Bluewater ropes, but they are durable, economical, light, and don't suck up pounds of water.
    In the world of ropes the "supple" or feel of the rope in called "hand". And this "hand" is the crux of manufacturing and selling ropes, because a good hand in the store doesn't make for a good rope in the field. As most of you already know ropes have to be broken-in and have a much different hand after they have been used 10 or 20 times.

A lot of manufacturers actually sell inferior ropes to what they are really capable of producing just to get a nice hand in the store, because if they don't have a good hand in the store no one buys their product.

Anyhoo.... the real test you should be looking for is how does the rope feel when it is half way through its life cycle, and how durable is it, not how it feels on the store shelf or first time out.

$228.00 for 200' of Sterling Rope Canyon C-IV rope.
    $160.00 for 200' of Imlay Canyon Fire rope.
    If you want, Tcott, you can send me the extra $68.00 as a donation... I am very flexible on these issues.

Tom

In the world of ropes the "supple" or feel of the rope in called "hand". And this "hand" is the crux of manufacturing and selling ropes, because a good hand in the store doesn't make for a good rope in the field. As most of you already know ropes have to be broken-in and have a much different hand after they have been used 10 or 20 times.

A lot of manufacturers actually sell inferior ropes to what they are really capable of producing just to get a nice hand in the store, because if they don't have a good hand in the store no one buys their product.

Anyhoo.... the real test you should be looking for is how does the rope feel when it is half way through its life cycle, and how durable is it, not how it feels on the store shelf or first time out.
    Jason (Hike2Kolob) has been out of action for awhile. The new Canyonero is a 9.2mm rope with the hand softened just slightly, as the actual 9mm was a bit too stiff. The Canyon Fire came out with a very nice hand (both new and used) though more as an artifact of the other design objectives, but I'll take it.

I think my ropes change less in hand from new to used than other brands. But then again, I think lots of things

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia View Post
    If you want, Tcott, you can send me the extra $68.00 as a donation... I am very flexible on these issues.

Tom
    Life is Good

I've used all sorts of ropes. I used to use my old climbing ropes, then my old haul lines, then Imlay ropes, and now I use the Bluewater Canyon ropes. I've found that the 9.2 canyon is absolutely bomber. I've had it for several seasons now and it still looks and feels new. Whereas my Imlay ropes tended to really fuzz-up and degrade after a couple of seasons. I still however have several Imlay ropes that still get used and they are all over 5 years old it's just that I find myself steadily reaching for the Canyon rope for most canyons now, but maybe that's because it's orange!
    beefcake. BEEFCAKE!

I've got a few friends who've gotten the bluewaters on sale recently and they do look and feel very nice. My Imlay ropes have fuzzed a bit but that doesn't seem to have affected performance much. They have held up well over the last 2-3 years. I think the price issue is the major point for me. The bluewaters cost more without noticeable difference in quality and unexpected frays and core shots would hurt the wallet a bit more. my two cents anyway

fuzz happens - my first Imlay 8mm rope is still in use 6 years after purchase (albeit a bit shorter). It fuzzed up pretty quickly, reached the fuzz plateau, and its dirty white self just keeps on going.

warm and fuzzily,

hank

Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia View Post

Tom
    I went with the sterling for the lighter weight, but if the $68.00 donation would include Tom carrying the rope for me I would be fine with that too.