Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: rope

curious what the weight difference is, any idea tcott? i know with the 8mm bluewater ds it is substantial, didn't think it was much on the sterling.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by CarpeyBiggs View Post
    curious what the weight difference is, any idea tcott? i know with the 8mm bluewater ds it is substantial, didn't think it was much on the sterling.
    for 200' of rope

bluewater ds 8.0mm - 5.51 pounds
    sterling C-IV 9.0mm - 6.4 pounds
    canyon fire 8.3mm - 7.7 pounds
    canyonero 9.2mm - 8.4 pounds

cool, thanks tcott.

Quote Originally Posted by tcott View Post
    for 200' of rope

sterling C-IV 9.0mm - 6.4 pounds
    The Sheath on the Sterling is amazing! Talk about incredible endurance.

The C-4 also does not take on hardly any water weight, and it almost floats

Also found out last weekend that 200' of C-IV will float in a bagarino.

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tcott View Post
    I went with the sterling for the lighter weight, but if the $68.00 donation would include Tom carrying the rope for me I would be fine with that too.
    Where you thinking of us going???

T

Mountain Man
    Another vote for the Canyon C-IV. 9mm, incomparable Technora sheath, and as light as the lightest 8mm ropes.

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia View Post
    If you want, Tcott, you can send me the extra $68.00 as a donation... I am very flexible on these issues.

Tom
    , I own one of Tom's ropes (8.3MM) and I love it. The only issue is that you'll want several more after you buy your first. I need to pick up a 200' from him. However, I'm not interested in adding $68.00 as a donation.

Sort of back to the original question, I have had several ropes over the years from 8 to 10.5 and when your ropes are wet and sandy (we usually only use them a double ropes though )they tend to create heck of a lot of friction and slow way down not to mention get really heavy, so IMHO anything over a 9.5mm requires more work to get down for the lucky kids who get to go and the smurf sized people with not enough weight to go down without feeding the rope through, when we take the newbies or pint sized kids we use the 10.5. The ropes tend to get stiffer if not cleaned regularly, sorry for the rope 101 lesson.

Quote Originally Posted by ghawk View Post
    I've got a few friends who've gotten the bluewaters on sale recently and they do look and feel very nice. My Imlay ropes have fuzzed a bit but that doesn't seem to have affected performance much. They have held up well over the last 2-3 years. I think the price issue is the major point for me. The bluewaters cost more without noticeable difference in quality and unexpected frays and core shots would hurt the wallet a bit more. my two cents anyway
    I got a 200' Imlay Canyon Rope about 5 years ago and it still looks like it's in great condition. I know it's GOT to be getting to retirement time... but it looks like it's still perfect-- a little fuzz on it, but still in great condition.

Last summer I bought a 600' spool of BlueWater 9.2 Canyon Rope (it has the 5,000lb pull strength) so I could take Scouts on it (Imlay Canyonero wasn't available then). It IS soft and supple, but I can't say that it is durable like Imlay rope.

If I could have waited for a few months and purchased from Tom on that, I would be a lot happier. Oh well. In a year or so when the BleuWater rope is shot, I'll purchase some Canyonero from Tom.

Good luck with your purchase.
    --
    Matthew

"If your knees aren't green by the end of the day, you ought to seriously reexamine your life."

Anyone having issues with their imlay rope? I have a 120' canyon fire rope that is about 1.5-2 years old (15-20 canyons) and is still in great shape. My wife bought me a 200' canyonero for Christmas. I have used it on three canyons and it is already showing signs of serious wear on the outer sheath. I have a few friends who are experiencing the same issue. Did we just get a bad batch or is anyone else seeing the same issue? I took it to Desert Rat and had Bo look at it. He said it is still usable, and hasn't worn through the sheath, but it still makes me nervous. I used my friends Sterling rope two weeks ago on boltergeist. He is on his second year with the Sterling and the sheath is still pristine. Might have to cut my loss with the canyonero and make the move to Sterling.

Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Balagna View Post
    I have used it on three canyons and it is already showing signs of serious wear on the outer sheath.
    explain serious wear. fuzzy sheath, starts of core shot, actual core shots, missing sheath?

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Balagna View Post
    Anyone having issues with their imlay rope? I have a 120' canyon fire rope that is about 1.5-2 years old (15-20 canyons) and is still in great shape. My wife bought me a 200' canyonero for Christmas. I have used it on three canyons and it is already showing signs of serious wear on the outer sheath. I have a few friends who are experiencing the same issue. Did we just get a bad batch or is anyone else seeing the same issue? I took it to Desert Rat and had Bo look at it. He said it is still usable, and hasn't worn through the sheath, but it still makes me nervous. I used my friends Sterling rope two weeks ago on boltergeist. He is on his second year with the Sterling and the sheath is still pristine. Might have to cut my loss with the canyonero and make the move to Sterling.
    I am very interested in what is happening. What color is your rope?

While the warranty is that canyoneering will beat up your gear, unusual beating-up like this is not a good thing, and I want to know about it, and figure out what the problem is. Would you return it to me in exchange for a new rope? If you could bring it into the Desert Rat, I'll be passing through on Feb 22nd (or so) and could pick it up there. I will ask Bo to give you a new rope in exchange.

Tom

I'm curious as to what you mean by serious wear? Can you post a picture of the rope by chance? I have 200' of canyonero that is starting to get a little bit of a fuzzy sheath. I've been told that's to be expected.

Wow, these are quick responses. Thanks for the concern Tom. I appreciate that you stand behind your product. It is the blueish green 9mm canyonero. I will snap a picture and put it up tonight. The most significant wear is about 40' feet from the end is about 6" of serious fuzz. You can feel it through a leather glove and it makes your heart skip a beat. It looks like someone was swinging and letting the rope rub. I am very careful to avoid unnecessary horizontal movement on a rappel and ask others I am with to do the same. Like I said, Bo told me the rope is still good (and I trust him completely) but I wanted to see if others beside my circle of canyon friends have experienced the same.

Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar
    if bo said it was good then why is it a problem?

"cord is not rope

I'd say the majority of canyoneers in the US use between 8mm (not noob friendly expert rigging only) to 9mm+ to 10mm."

- What are the differences btwn rope n chord?
    - What are the dangers of canyoneering with chord, or the advantages of rope?
    - Other than reduced friction while rappelling, why is the 8mm rope not noob friendly?

Gracias

On a side tangent, how come every time I type "canyoneer" into Bogley, the spell check thinks it's not a real word? Yes, I meant to type "canyoneer", and no I'm not interested in buying a pair of 5.10 Canners.

-Sam

Quote Originally Posted by SRG View Post
    why is the 8mm rope not noob friendly?
    The short answer is.... the thicker the rope the more tolerant it is of mistakes.

Quote Originally Posted by SRG View Post
    On a side tangent, how come every time I type "canyoneer" into Bogley, the spell check thinks it's not a real word?
    As for "canyoneer" not in the spell check just hit the ADD button next time it asks you. Bogley spell checker comes with a generic dictionary.

At the risk of being mocked, I chose the BlueWater Canyon Rope because the orange looks awesome in photos. Pick a diameter you feel comfortable rappelling on and carrying.