Thread: Rainier advice

Rainier advice

I am climbing Mt Rainier with a guide service in August. I am going on the Muir / Disappointment Cleaver (or Ingraham Glacier) route. I am looking for advice on fitness training. I have watched the

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I'm not the best person to give advice on training. I usually just get things done off the couch, and suffer the whole time...but I have been on Rainer, so...

If you're athletic you can suffer to to top, but the more fit you are for it, the more enjoyable it will be. I always think the best traing for something is doing it, so maybe bag some local peaks for a few before you go?

If I were to head back up that thing I'd make sure I was used to long days back to back. I forget how much elevation gain there is on that puppy, but it's a big hill and takes a push for sure.

Also, make sure you're stoked on and used to the boots you'll be wearing (and your other gear for that matter). I was in approach shoe and flip flop mode when I went up it. I hadn't had my ice boots on in months and forgot what a pain they are to hike in.

Umm, what else... it's gorgeous and really "fun."
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by heatheraball View Post
    Does anyone have any advice, or has anyone climbed Rainier?
    Been on it a number of times (DC/Ingraham Direct, Emmons, Liberty Ridge, part of the lower Kautz, etc etc). I don't train either, really. Just climb and ski.

I kind of like to heed the advice of a famed Yosemite hardman (Bridwell) who says something to the effect, "no need to train suffering".

That means for me, no need to train with a heavy pack which could cause long term issues with my hips, back and knees.

I guess I'd do some fairly physical low impact type hiking for CV, and, maybe just try to get out and peak bag for the rest. Don't have any experience with yoga/pilates/health club type stuff folks do for fitness. I try to get most of my CV/hiking/peak bagging fitness through outdoor activity. My climbing I stay in shape for by going to a climbing gym.

Anyhoo...FWIW...

Good luck!
    Last edited by Brian in SLC; 05-19-2011 at 10:29 AM. Reason: speln air

Thanks for the info. I picked up pilates, because I could not carry a pack after a surgery I had last March, and it has been incredible at strengthening my back and neck (and core). I wish I could again be one of those people who can get off the couch and climb a mountain, but age is catching up with me