Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gunlock Falls

X2 on Aperture. Very intuitive software, and affordable.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

HDR First Name:  flower..jpg
Views: 493
Size:  87.0 KB

Not processed second
    Name:  IMG_6467..jpg
Views: 482
Size:  71.5 KB

I see how the first looks overdone so I need to figure out a way to tone it down a bit!

Lynda.com photoshop Landscape tutorial is this a good one? Or...? Any ideas?

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    Hard to adjust a jpeg, I used your small file and ran it through LR3 and Elements.
    Not a great edit, but the sky was coming back from the original blown sky.
    I usually shoot in camera RAW to get the largest file to begin working in post.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

First, if you are serious about your images, get some monitor calibration software. I use Spyder3 Elite, it is expensive but now I know that my monitor is adjusted. Like oldno7 said you need to use your RAW shot for adjustment. Buy Aperture. It is cheap, effective and simple to use. Use these images to practice in Aperture, don't stop until you have the light levels like you want. Try lowering the exposure first to bring the sky down (instead of using the "highlights" bar) then use the "shadows" adjustment bar to bring the shadows up to where you want them. Then play with the WB and saturation levels until the colors look good. Go easy on the "red", as it is too easy to jack it up to make it look like "Utah", but in the end it tends to make it look like "Mars"! The adjusted image above lost all of it's blue when the highs were brought down. Give it a little blue back, it will give the clouds some life. Remember, the scene is illuminated with blue light from the sky, and that can be lost through adjusting highs and lows. Above all, is the adjusted image match what you saw through the view finder when you made the image? Have fun!

7. Likes oldno7 liked this post
    Bump

Hey so what's the average time of year for the falls to have water running? Is late April still too early?

Is the current reservoir water line height usually the best indicator that the waterfall is running? And what's a reliable website for this data?

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech View Post
    Bump

Hey so what's the average time of year for the falls to have water running? Is late April still too early?

Is the current reservoir water line height usually the best indicator that the waterfall is running? And what's a reliable website for this data?
    I drove past Gunlock falls this past weekend. The reservoir is still too low. That might change with additional Spring runoff, although it looked like it had a ways to go to get to waterfall capacity.
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

10. Likes Sombeech liked this post
    Blog Entries

Gunlock Falls

So, I don't trust the Utah State Park data to be accurate. Gunlock State Park says the water level is "very low", whatever that means. In Jan 2017 the water volume was at 4576. Now, in March it is above 6480 volume. It holds up to 10,800-acre feet. We just need 4000+ acre feet to go. And with the additional runnoff in April, May, and June in the higher-level mountains, it *could* reach capacity.

This is the website you should bookmark: https://www.wcc.nrcs.usda.gov/webmap...18&monthPart=E

It took a bit of time to discover this website, but it is very helpful. When you click on it, it will highlight Gunlock Reservoir automatically, but you can move around and check out the other reservoir levels too.
    So when you click on Gunlock, I click on "water year chart" and customize the time on it just so I can see trends. So in order for the waterfalls to flow, it needs to be slightly above the 10,000 line.

Below is a screenshot from April 2006 (when it overflowed for a good portion of the year) until March 2017. Just so you can see the trend. That low mark in 2009 is when they drained it completely.

Name:  Gunlock.jpg
Views: 308
Size:  42.3 KB
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

12. Likes Sombeech liked this post

Blog Entries
    I talked to a ranger today and he said that the lake is 3-5" from over-spilling. Impressive, considering it was nearly empty back in November.

Who knows what the next couple of weeks holds, especially if it rains down there... I
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"