Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gunlock Falls

Gunlock Falls

Name:  gfalls6..jpg
Views: 9548
Size:  183.5 KB

Being a teacher at a middle school, May is by far the hardest month of school. Especially the last week! By this point the students energy level climaxes and the teachers energy level bottoms out. Being near the limit of sanity I knew I needed to get out even if it was something short. After reading that the falls were flowing at Gunlock I decided this would be just the short drive/hike combination I needed. The falls can be seen from the road but to truly enjoy them and see the size/power there is a short 10 minute hike with some very minor scrambling...Ok I made it a little more interesting and took the harder route but still pretty simple stuff
    Name:  gfalls5..jpg
Views: 7145
Size:  159.9 KB

Name:  gfalls2..jpg
Views: 12493
Size:  167.1 KB

Name:  gfalls4..jpg
Views: 4766
Size:  189.2 KB

Name:  gfalls3..jpg
Views: 5794
Size:  157.8 KB

Name:  gfalls1..jpg
Views: 4770
Size:  202.3 KB

2. Likes windminstrel liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

ephemeral excursionist blueeyes's Avatar
    In person it is mesmerizing!
    Chere'

We went up there yesterday as well. Nice shots!
    If you don't have anything nice to say....come and sit by me.

Dana & Thane @ Couchsurfing.org

Bogley BigShot

nice

I think the images are great, as far as I can tell, especially the first one. Seeing how this is the "Dark room", I will give you my constructive criticism. I would like to see the images without all of the post production/HDR/saturation software crap. From what I can see, their are some beautiful images hidden underneath all of the corrections you made, and I think the images are strong enough to hold up on their own without the corrections.
    You made something beautiful into something kind of scary.

9. Likes oldno7, rockgremlin liked this post
    So cool.

Quote Originally Posted by gnwatts View Post
    you made, and I think the images are strong enough to hold up on their own without the corrections. You made something beautiful into something kind of scary.
    LOL- I never mind criticism and I agree, some possibly looked better without processing. My biggest problem with the pre processed pictures, or originals, the gray clouds were too bright and were overexposed. I could have cropped the sky out but... by processing them you can actually see what I was looking at! I will post some of the no processing later today and then I guess we can compare the two.

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    Matt
    I think post processing is good, these are just slightly overdone. Theres other ways to bring back blown out clouds or skies than HDR.

Quote Originally Posted by oldno7 View Post
    Matt
    I think post processing is good, these are just slightly overdone. Theres other ways to bring back blown out clouds or skies than HDR.
    I agree. I've been steering away from HDR in general lately. Shooting in RAW and using highlights/shadows adjustments and then compensating with some contrast, overlays and multiplying brushes in Aperture 3 works pretty good for me. Or still do your bracketing but then layer a couple images in PS. I've just found it increasingly difficult to process HDR to the point that I'm happy with it. Still bracketing things about as much though.

Quote Originally Posted by ibenick View Post
    I agree. I've been steering away from HDR in general lately. Shooting in RAW and using highlights/shadows adjustments and then compensating with some contrast, overlays and multiplying brushes in Aperture 3 works pretty good for me. Or still do your bracketing but then layer a couple images in PS. I've just found it increasingly difficult to process HDR to the point that I'm happy with it. Still bracketing things about as much though.
    The HDR is just so easy, and I am lazy! Thanks for the constructive criticism though! Your ideas were helpful. I will admit I am a rookie when it comes to photography and software this helps me with some starting places!

The WB has gotten crazy on you, which is a problem sometimes with HDR. Try just using the curve adjustments in PS (if that is what you are using), not the light and dark slide bars. If you take your time i bet you can get the highs down. I have set up my camera for no extra saturation or contrast, and use the RAW shot to adjust in Aperture or PS. I am not worried about getting the killer initial RAW file, as they very adjustable later. Try under exposing a little, as it is easier to bring the shadows up than to bring the highs down.
    A question: Is that really what you were seeing when you tripped the shutter?
    We can't duplicate in a camera what we see with our eyes, obviously, but we can try to express what we feel when we release the shutter. And if you exposed for the red rocks and water and not the sky, then, you have a problem. If you are happy and satisfied with the way they look, then ok then. But I think your great shots could become spectacular with appropriate adjustments.

Quote Originally Posted by gnwatts View Post
    The WB has gotten crazy on you, which is a problem sometimes with HDR. Try just using the curve adjustments in PS (if that is what you are using), not the light and dark slide bars. If you take your time i bet you can get the highs down. I have set up my camera for no extra saturation or contrast, and use the RAW shot to adjust in Aperture or PS. I am not worried about getting the killer initial RAW file, as they very adjustable later. Try under exposing a little, as it is easier to bring the shadows up than to bring the highs down.
    A rhetorical question: Is that really what you were seeing when you tripped the shutter?
    We can't duplicate in a camera what we see with our eyes, obviously, but we can try to express what we feel when we release the shutter. And if you exposed for the red rocks and water and not the sky, then, you have a problem. If you are happy and satisfied with the way they look, then ok then. But I think your great shots could become spectacular with appropriate adjustments.
    Thanks! Good suggestions!!!

This report is full of win. Looking forward to seeing more photos.

Quote Originally Posted by accadacca View Post
    This report is full of win. Looking forward to seeing more photos.
    Now I have to go legally download an updated photoshop torrent , and process some pics with the suggestions that have been made before I can post more pics! I will post some un-doctored pictures today!

Do you use a Mac or PC, Matt?

Quote Originally Posted by mattandersao View Post
    I will post some un-doctored pictures today!
    Doctoring is ok, just no too much.

Quote Originally Posted by ibenick View Post
    Do you use a Mac or PC, Matt?
    Unfortunately PC...Thinking about buying macbook (I saw you are selling your old one how does that work for you with photoshop and other such programs?)

I love it but I've been a Mac guy since day one, my family owned and operated Utah's first and only Apple dealership for about 20 years when I was growing up, so I might be biased. I have to do a bit of photography work for my job and I'm stuck using a PC for it, not a fan. The reason I asked was because I was going to suggest you try Aperture out if you're on a mac. It's a really powerful photo management and editing tool, I rarely have to use Photoshop and when I do use outside programs its usually in the form of a plugin so that I still don't have to leave Aperture. My old MacBook was starting to struggle under the weight of 25MB RAW files and a 500GB+ library but the new 3.4GHz quad core i7 iMac is rocking it. As far as Photoshop, Photomatix, etc, never had any problems, pretty much exactly the same on a Mac or PC.