Thread: Powell Black Hole

Powell Black Hole

Had a great trip last week down to Powell. We were trying to have three days worth of canyons but got rained out on one day. Instead of having along seasoned leaders it was just my buddies and myself on this trip to Powell. It ups the Ante when I am the point of the spear. We used a jet ski for a shuttle and everything went off flawlessly. After Lake Powell we headed up and went thru the Black Hole on our way over to Moab. If you want to spice up the start into the Hole there is a sweet 160' and then a 40' rappel in the drainage just to the right of the sign in the parking lot. We left the long rope and retrieved it when we got back. Met a couple of guys from Phoenix that tagged along with us. One of them wore a shorty and I thought he was going to die. The water was brisk. Great easy adventure, need to take my wife and kids back. Here are some pictures if you want to check them out. They are a little out of order due to combining several guys pics.

Mark

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nice pics!

I thought the most artistic shot was the one looking down at the talus field with the tied-off jet-ski... very cool shot.

Oh, hehe, one of those shots made me wonder if you could jump 100' out of the end of the slot into Lake Powell... that'd be some SERIOUS cliff jumping!

Wow. Amazing photos. Thanks for sharing.

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    Great stuff, I gotta get to Lake Powell someday.............

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by oval View Post
    Oh, hehe, one of those shots made me wonder if you could jump 100' out of the end of the slot into Lake Powell... that'd be some SERIOUS cliff jumping!
    YOU could do that, once.

eeh, beyond the physics of it.....illegal to cliff jump anything higher than 15' on the lake.

Nice report and pictures!
    Life is Good

Quote Originally Posted by restrac2000 View Post
    eeh, beyond the physics of it.....illegal to cliff jump anything higher than 15' on the lake.
    There were a couple of boats in one of the coves when we were coming down. The rappel is just under 200', when I started over the edge you could hear them down there freaking that we were doing this. When I was about 20' from the deck I let it rip. The people on the boats had thought I had lost control and was falling. It was pretty funny. They thought that we were the baddest dudes on the earth.

Quote Originally Posted by restrac2000 View Post
    JUMPING?!?!? What a bunch of pussies!