Thread: Park city Rail Trail/Im a noob questions

Park city Rail Trail/Im a noob questions

The plan is to take the boys to the Rail trail and start in Park city and go to Echo Res and stay overnight then go to the skills park in Park city the next day. I have never done the trail before. The Scoutmaster that planned this just recently moved so I took over.
    I ride my bike a few times a year with the family and that is the extent of my riding experience. I use to ride when in high school but didn't keep it up after getting married.

We are doing a 10 mile ride the wednesday before to make sure the bikes work and get the boys are ready.

I was going to buy a couple replacement tubes but thought mabey patch kits would be better due to boys having different size tires. good idea?

What tools do I need to make sure I have? I have basic bike maintenance skills i.e. adjusting brakes/derailers and changing tires and chains.

Does anyone have info on Echo reservoir camping?
    Any additional info or tips for me?
    The man thong is wrong.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Bring a couple of bottles of Slime: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...SIN=B000ENSRS0 Much faster for fixing the single hole punctures, especially when a group of boys are waiting around. It might take a few inflates to seal the deal, usually just one does it though. But it will at least last the whole ride, then if it's a bigger problem they can just change the tube when they're home.

I ran into this exact thing, taking the scouts this month up the Ogden BSL trail.
    http://www.bogley.com/forum/showthre...horeline-trail
    3 goat heads stuck in the front tire before the ride, he was keeping them in the tire to "plug the holes". Pulled them out, put half a bottle of slime in, had to inflate it once, and then about 5 minutes later inflate just a bit more but it ended up holding.

And of course, the slime won't be a complete substitute for all flats. Bring a couple of spare tubes in case it's a pinch flat or something.

Ok great idea. I didn't even think of the slime, that shows my noobiness.

We have gotten some more info and decided just to hit up the Jordan river parkway trail for a shorter ride. Then we are going to do the Mountain Ranch Bike park. So it should be a fun campout!

What tools do you guys carry with you?
    The man thong is wrong.

pump, multi tool that includes chain tool & alan keys, tire levers, that's about it. The rest is camera gear.

Sweet. I already have all of those. I will make the scouts carry the slime and extra tubes. Suckers!
    The man thong is wrong.

I carry a glad-lock bag with paper towels & TP for 'various' emergencies and a small section of Duct Tape to patch the inside of the tire if it blows. It even works on tubes if you are in a pinch. I also have a chain breaker, bike multi tool, patch kit, extra tube(sometimes), extra Powerbar or equivalent, tire pump, co2 pump for back up, extra water, etc... It's usually whatever you forgot to pack the last time you rode and had to fix something. Oh yeah a small first aid kit, although I tend to need more than a small kit when I need one