Thread: lifejacket in kaleidoscope (choprock)

lifejacket in kaleidoscope (choprock)

found a life vest on a log 15 ft off the deck. took a spicy climb to get to it. Maybe it belongs to the group that went down on the day before us. they spent 18 ours doing the doing it. I was glad they got out before we ran into them in canyon.

guy

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

What were the water levels like? Might be heading down there in a couple of weeks.
    I've never been lost...just really confused for a couple of days.

Hah hah hah. Ask Mr. Patterson about that one!

Yo, Mr. Patterson....

Yes it is (or was) mine.

Here's the story:

I had to go last minute to SLC for a funeral just before the trip and found that I didn't have time to go back home (Craig CO) to pick up my gear before heading down to the Escalante/Bryce area and meeting friends.

After piddling all over State Street looking for a wetsuits (and other gear such as a backpack) for several hours, I could only find one wetsuit that fit me, but it was a 3/2. I was a little worried about the cold water, so I bought the life jacket just in case for extra warmth. It was all for nothing though as it was a pain in the narrow slots and I was sweating like a pig most of the time anyway (I have a high tolerance for cold water). My hand got chilly once swimming through the long pool with the rope in hand (I took the neoprene glove off to rappel), but other than that I was nice and toasty without the jacket (I tested the wetsuit in Neon the previous day, but was thinking that I should take it to Choprock anyway since there are more swims).

(At the beginning of the Grim Section) I climbed the log and roped up the other members of the team (Chris broke through it later half way up). Not wanting to climb down with the jacket, I threw the dang thing down and it hung on the log. I thought I could just get it from the bottom with a stick, but I was wrong. I could poke the thing, but it wouldn't come down, nor could I climb back up to it.

I guess that's it. The story really isn't that interesting.

Thanks for getting it. On the plus side, I packed out a few waterbottles I found that weren't mine and some trash/tent pieces out of Fence Canyon and picked up a lot of trash in Goblin Valley last weekend, which hopefully makes up a little bit for it. Thanks for cleaning up after me. I do not like leaving trash in canyons.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

Awww, come on, Scott. You have to admit, it was a pretty impressive throw. Worthy of the (thankfully non-existent) Vancouver Grizzlies!